Help please: scheduled charging with Zappi

bear1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I use a friend's Zappi charger a couple of times a week. Using the in-car settings I schedule the Octopus friendly hours. This is preferable to the setting within Zappi as it doesn't interfere their charging.
So far, every time I've tried it I've had to fuss around as it keeps starting to charge immediately.
Tonight I have up and we've used the Zappi app. But now the cable isn't locked into the car.
Can anybody shed light on what I'm doing wrong with the MG scheduling?
And should the cable have locked in? I'm assuming so as it's currently not locked in at all.

(I'm locking car before plugging stuff in so that it all turns off)

Any help greatly appreciated.

This sounds similar to one of the issues that I had with ours. You are following the instructions but they don't seem to work unless you have completed a full balancing charge recently.
I found the way around this was to set the charge point onto boost, plug the car in and start charging then turn the charge point back to timed which suspends the charge. The car would then stay awake long enough to restart when required.
Sometimes the cable wouldn't lock in - the way around that was to do it with the car on and then use the infotainment screen controls to lock the cable and start the charge. I found that reducing the charge rate helped me to get things started.
Good luck!

This sounds similar to one of the issues that I had with ours. You are following the instructions but they don't seem to work unless you have completed a full balancing charge recently.
I found the way around this was to set the charge point onto boost, plug the car in and start charging then turn the charge point back to timed which suspends the charge. The car would then stay awake long enough to restart when required.
Sometimes the cable wouldn't lock in - the way around that was to do it with the car on and then use the infotainment screen controls to lock the cable and start the charge. I found that reducing the charge rate helped me to get things started.
Good luck!
Thank you. Will try those things next time.

Good luck!
I'm quite new to EVs, can I ask some of these issues are they common to all EVs or is it just MG4 that seems to be having issues. I've never really paid any attention as never was interested in one but I had a 2nd option apart from MG which had some problems as well though have not seemed as much as MG4 but not sure if that's cos I've not paid much attention.

I use a friend's Zappi charger a couple of times a week. Using the in-car settings I schedule the Octopus friendly hours. This is preferable to the setting within Zappi as it doesn't interfere their charging.
So far, every time I've tried it I've had to fuss around as it keeps starting to charge immediately.
Tonight I have up and we've used the Zappi app. But now the cable isn't locked into the car.
Can anybody shed light on what I'm doing wrong with the MG scheduling?
And should the cable have locked in? I'm assuming so as it's currently not locked in at all.

(I'm locking car before plugging stuff in so that it all turns off)

Any help greatly appreciated.
Here I think is what you need to do, set the Zappi to stop and plug the car in to the Zappi, switch Zappi to to Eco mode ( not the one that shows two leaves ) lock the car and the car will lock in the cable and start charging and 1.4 kw will be showing going into the car now switch the Zappi to the Eco + in the app, or the Eco with two leaves setting on the Zappi, it will pause the charge and say something like waiting for surplus now set the schedule timer on the Zappi or in the the app for your start time, example Octopus 00:30, and set the duration for 4/5 hours or how ever long you want it to charge for at the full 7kw, press OK put Zappi back in to manual mode with Eco+ still on it will still say waiting for surplus and at 00:30 hrs the Zappi will start it’s boost charge at full power around 7kw could be up to 7.4 kw and will run at that until your duration time is done, you can set the duration for what ever time you want but you need to check how long your cheap rate gives you otherwise it will keep charging at full price hope this is of help to you.
Les

I too am interested in any problems that people may have had using a Zappi, as that is my setup as well. I've got the Zappi installed, but don't have my MG4 for another couple of weeks.

The thing I'm most interested in is, if I have the Zappi set to charge on ECO+ to utilise our solar output during the day, how is the MG4 going to react to the charge constantly being applied and removed during transient clouds etc when the solar output dips below 1.4kW?

I too am interested in any problems that people may have had using a Zappi, as that is my setup as well. I've got the Zappi installed, but don't have my MG4 for another couple of weeks.

The thing I'm most interested in is, if I have the Zappi set to charge on ECO+ to utilise our solar output during the day, how is the MG4 going to react to the charge constantly being applied and removed during transient clouds etc when the solar output dips below 1.4kW?
Good question. Been thinking of how to utilise my 1.4kwh solar panel output. Problem is I don't understand the set up per se. House was bought with solar panels on it which I was toldl heats up my water and any extra passed through to my meter but I'm not sure how this happens or the financial benefit to me in real pennies.
How can I utilise this to charge my EV or know in real terms how it can be measured financially?

Good question. Been thinking of how to utilise my 1.4kwh solar panel output. Problem is I don't understand the set up per se. House was bought with solar panels on it which I was toldl heats up my water and any extra passed through to my meter but I'm not sure how this happens or the financial benefit to me in real pennies.
How can I utilise this to charge my EV or know in real terms how it can be measured financially?
If I remember rightly, CT Clamps are placed on the cables for your solar feed and through that, the Zappi will know how much the solar panels are producing and, in turn, the Zappi then knows how much power to draw. You should be able to see the values and direction of power on the MyEnergi App

Hi Sloucher I have been using the Zappi 2 now on and off for 18 months or so and when I got my MG5 I ask the same question as I could here the starting and stopping of the charge when on Eco+, so I spoke with MyEnergi about it I told them it stops when the clouds pass by and then takes around 30 seconds or so to restart the charge they told me that’s what it is supposed to do, so that you only charge with the solar but I can adjust the timers in the Zappi so that it restarts in About 10 seconds.
Well I tried that but still was not happy the way relays in the car where switching on and off every few minutes unless the sky was cloudless so I stopped using that Eco+ the one with 2 leaves in the display and I only use the Eco mode now that way the car will keep charging all the time even when the solar output falls below 1.4 the Zappi will just use a little from the grid until the sun comes out again, and it then just uses the solar and nothing from the grid, works much better for me that way you still get all your surplus solar going into the car, and if acloud does cover the sun or someone puts the kettle on the car keeps charging at 1.4kw until there is solar surplus again, and the car relays are not working there guts out because they won’t come cheap if they do wear out, anyhow this way I have found I get all my excess solar into the car and only use a small amount from the grid.
Les

Last edited:
Hi Sloucher I have been using the Zappi 2 now on and off for 18 months or so and when I got my MG5 I ask the same question as I could here the starting and stopping of the charge when on Eco+, so I spoke with MyEnergi about it I told them it stops when the clouds pass by and then takes around 30 seconds or so to restart the charge they told me that’s what it is supposed to do, so that you only charge with the solar but I can adjust the timers in the Zappi so that it restarts in About 10 seconds.
Well I tried that but still was not happy the the relays in the car switching on and off every few minutes unless the sky was cloudless so I stopped using that Eco+ the one with 2 leaves in the display and I only use the Eco mode now that way the car will keep charging all the time even when the solar output falls below 1.4 the Zappi will just use a little from the grid until the sun comes out again, and it then just uses the solar and nothing from the grid, works much better for me that way you still get all your surplus solar going into the car, and if acloud does cover the sun or someone puts the kettle on the car keeps charging at 1.4kw until there is solar surplus again, and the car relays are not working there guts out because they won’t come cheap if they do wear out, anyhow this way I have found I get all my excess solar into the car and only use a small amount from the grid.
Les
That sounds like a plan @Les burrows .
I obviously haven't started to use the Zappi yet so, especially with winter coming up with reduced solar energy, need to work out how best to schedule it. Maybe Octopus, but which tariff? That's another thread though.

If I remember rightly, CT Clamps are placed on the cables for your solar feed and through that, the Zappi will know how much the solar panels are producing and, in turn, the Zappi then knows how much power to draw. You should be able to see the values and direction of power on the MyEnergi App
Thanks. Sounds straightforward but honestly complicated for a newbie like me. This stuff just goes over my head. So is there any truth to the stories I heard that solar charging you EV could take days rather than hours for the equivalent duration. This discussion makes me feel like perhaps not true? So will the zappi installers or whatever EV installers I use generally know what to do?

Thanks. Sounds straightforward but honestly complicated for a newbie like me. This stuff just goes over my head. So is there any truth to the stories I heard that solar charging you EV could take days rather than hours for the equivalent duration. This discussion makes me feel like perhaps not true? So will the zappi installers or whatever EV installers I use generally know what to do?
If you're unlucky with the amount of sun then yes, it can take a long time to charge up fully. As Les mentioned above, the minimum power output required to use the solar generated electricity is 1.4kWh. If you had the output constantly from the solar panels, it would take about 42 hours to fully charge from empty the larger battery MG4. Obviously, there's night time to take into account and at this time of year we have fewer daylight hours so in all it would take a good few days.

It's swings and roundabouts though. If you're in no desperate rush to charge up, you may as well plug in and let the Zappi trickle charge from the solar over a long time, as it's free power, but if you know you do need a full charge then simply put the Zappi in a different charging mode (Fast) and it will act like a normal charger by drawing power from the grid instead.

Are you on an EV specific energy tariff, something like Octopus Go?

I hope that all makes sense and I've not made things more complicated for you :ROFLMAO:

If you're unlucky with the amount of sun then yes, it can take a long time to charge up fully. As Les mentioned above, the minimum power output required to use the solar generated electricity is 1.4kWh. If you had the output constantly from the solar panels, it would take about 42 hours to fully charge from empty the larger battery MG4. Obviously, there's night time to take into account and at this time of year we have fewer daylight hours so in all it would take a good few days.

It's swings and roundabouts though. If you're in no desperate rush to charge up, you may as well plug in and let the Zappi trickle charge from the solar over a long time, as it's free power, but if you know you do need a full charge then simply put the Zappi in a different charging mode (Fast) and it will act like a normal charger by drawing power from the grid instead.

Are you on an EV specific energy tariff, something like Octopus Go?

I hope that all makes sense and I've not made things more complicated for you :ROFLMAO:
No you've not. Very clear thanks. Also spoke to the guys that fitted my solar panels who gave me a crash course on how it works at high level. Turns out since the panel was installed have generated something like 2300kwh and have exported 1316 kwh of this amount to the grid.

I believe such figures whilst low could mean the possibility of charging EV exists even though a trickle flow like you explained.

I've not got the set up yet, I'm waiting to have delivery confirmation before I start to deal with all that. On my housing development there are also 3 phase 22kwh EV chargers on a private network on the Eon drive EV infrastructure with 0.25p/kwh rate so slightly cheaper than some public charging units so will use that temporarily if there's a delay to my install ahead of getting my EV.

Will deal with tariff/supplier switch once all that's in place.

No you've not. Very clear thanks. Also spoke to the guys that fitted my solar panels who gave me a crash course on how it works at high level. Turns out since the panel was installed have generated something like 2300kwh and have exported 1316 kwh of this amount to the grid.

I believe such figures whilst low could mean the possibility of charging EV exists even though a trickle flow like you explained.

I've not got the set up yet, I'm waiting to have delivery confirmation before I start to deal with all that. On my housing development there are also 3 phase 22kwh EV chargers on a private network on the Eon drive EV infrastructure with 0.25p/kwh rate so slightly cheaper than some public charging units so will use that temporarily if there's a delay to my install ahead of getting my EV.

Will deal with tariff/supplier switch once all that's in place.
I think that's a lot to go back to the grid out of your total and for a pittance. I assume you don't have battery storage?🤔

I think that's a lot to go back to the grid out of your total and for a pittance. I assume you don't have battery storage?🤔
Yeah I thought so too but I've never tried to get a handle on it till now. I was told it was meant to heat my water in immersion tank and excess goes to grid. Not sure why they've done it that way as we don't even get Feed in Tariff payments any longer. I guess don't take long to heat the water and once that's done it's all just to grid. Wish I could get to use all of it and barely export and No I've not got a battery.

Yeah I thought so too but I've never tried to get a handle on it till now. I was told it was meant to heat my water in immersion tank and excess goes to grid. Not sure why they've done it that way as we don't even get Feed in Tariff payments any longer. I guess don't take long to heat the water and once that's done it's all just to grid. Wish I could get to use all of it and barely export and No I've not got a battery.
The Zappi I’ve had installed with CT clamp can divert as much or as little as you want from your solar panels to the car when charging it. My installer added a Harvi wireless monitor which connects with the Zappi and app to show you how much energy from grid or solar you’re using. Here’s a short video of the app I found:

I see the Myenergi company which makes the Zappi has just come out with their own battery storage system for excess solar, instead of it going into the grid: libbi | Revolutionary Battery Storage System | myenergi UK

The Zappi I’ve had installed with CT clamp can divert as much or as little as you want from your solar panels to the car when charging it. My installer added a Harvi wireless monitor which connects with the Zappi and app to show you how much energy from grid or solar you’re using. Here’s a short video of the app I found:

I see the Myenergi company which makes the Zappi has just come out with their own battery storage system for excess solar, instead of it going into the grid: libbi | Revolutionary Battery Storage System | myenergi UK

Interesting stuff. Thanks. I think that's the way to go once I'm all ready. See if I can use some of my generation rather than exporting more than half of what I generate on to the grid.

I was interested in the Libbi until I saw the price, they are such a mark up on the base they are based on (K-Star BluE H5) MyEnergi putting the Libbi into the Powerwall 2 price bracket is an error.

I was interested in the Libbi until I saw the price, they are such a mark up on the base they are based on (K-Star BluE H5) MyEnergi putting the Libbi into the Powerwall 2 price bracket is an error.
I baulked at the price too but I think the inverter is included, making it not such a bad deal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I baulked at the price too but I think the inverter is included, making it not such a bad deal. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I know. That price too seemed more than what I'm comfortable with. As it stands I'm not even sure if my system is enough to power ev, I have a 1.4kw system. Wonder if to add mor panels to get enough to charge ev and if any goes to grid I can just collect payments through the Smart Export Guarantee. Don't have a clue how much they'll pay per kwh but doubt it'll be nything fantastic or near what they will they will usually charge for same kwh ha

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back