Help with My Lane Keep Assist Solution

You must have been going >37 mph for LKA to activate. I assume that was reasonable for the road conditions. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry to hear about this incident.

I wasn't going that fast at all, more like 25. No idea how it turned on if you're saying it has to be that fast to do so. I had just dropped my daughter off, maybe it hadn't reset since my previous journey on A roads? What's more on icy roads I don't think I could've got to that sort of speed in 100 meters. I have been to dealer about LKA a few times as it's so dangerous, on my car at least.

Thanks for the sympathy.

So I've just had a crash in my MG4 Trophy as a direct result of LKA. I was on an icy single track country road, just pulled out from the house I was visiting and not 100 meters LKA beeped and snatched the wheel! This caused the front end to loose traction and I ended up up the verge in a hedge.

Fortunately, it was just me and not anyone else in the car. I wasn't hurt luckily. The car however has scratches down the drivers side and the front bumper will now need replacing!

This was as a direct result of LKA! The road WAS icy but I was driving carefully. LKA just saw the white frosty road as a white line and clearly thought I was straddling it and thought "I'm going to correct this".

LKA has got to go, until such time as it's fit for purpose!

I'm open to suggestions right now, I don't want to go through insurance as it wasn't my fault and I feel that MG UK should fit the bill for repair. Any suggestion on how to approach them? Or is it directly to the lawers?
Write to MG UK and blame the LKA. And make to blame the LKA if you go trough the insurance as well.

IMG_6187.png

This Was also caused by the LKA.

Your profile says you have an SE SR ... as do I and I've never seen any option for a welcome message. 🤷‍♂️
I think everyone's profile went to SE SR when the new more detailed options came in - I had to manually change mine to Trophy LR.

So I've just had a crash in my MG4 Trophy as a direct result of LKA. I was on an icy single track country road, just pulled out from the house I was visiting and not 100 meters LKA beeped and snatched the wheel! This caused the front end to loose traction and I ended up up the verge in a hedge.

Fortunately, it was just me and not anyone else in the car. I wasn't hurt luckily. The car however has scratches down the drivers side and the front bumper will now need replacing!

This was as a direct result of LKA! The road WAS icy but I was driving carefully. LKA just saw the white frosty road as a white line and clearly thought I was straddling it and thought "I'm going to correct this".

I'm open to suggestions right now, I don't want to go through insurance as it wasn't my fault and I feel that MG UK should fit the bill for repair. Any suggestion on how to approach them? Or is it directly to the lawers?
So sorry to hear this happened to you.

Do you have a dashcam? I think you'll struggle to get redress without evidence of what happened.

The way I make sure LKA is off is to always check the icon in the top left hand corner of the driver's display is YELLOW.

When it is in this state, it will not activate. If it is WHITE it will activate over 37mph, if GREEN it is active.

So sorry to hear this happened to you.

Do you have a dashcam? I think you'll struggle to get redress without evidence of what happened.
Unfortunately no dashcam but photos from the scene do show a clear white line of frost in the middle of the road. I know it'll be a case of my word against theirs but there is so much damming evidence against LKA that surely the burden of proof is on them in this case. (not a question, more a statement tbh)

Unfortunately no dashcam but photos from the scene do show a clear white line of frost in the middle of the road. I know it'll be a case of my word against theirs but there is so much damming evidence against LKA that surely the burden of proof is on them in this case. (not a question, more a statement tbh)
China won't fix this unless people complain. And the sooner MG UK gets fed up, the better.

Probably worth contacting Euro NCAP as well. As more MG4's gets on the road these incidents are likely to increase. Fortunate that nothing more serious has happened yet. I know some people will say they have no problem but clearly this is a big issue for a lot of people.

Probably worth contacting Euro NCAP as well. As more MG4's gets on the road these incidents are likely to increase. Fortunate that nothing more serious has happened yet. I know some people will say they have no problem but clearly this is a big issue for a lot of people.
Good, I hope MG4 sell more, so more people complain

EuroNCAP don't test these systems currently in any thorough way - they simply verify the basics. They are apparently considering proper in depth testing of driver assistance systems to verify they work well but I do not know if they will go down this route - no doubt it would make the testing more expensive for manufacturers.

EuroNCAP don't test these systems currently in any thorough way - they simply verify the basics. They are apparently considering proper in depth testing of driver assistance systems to verify they work well but I do not know if they will go down this route - no doubt it would make the testing more expensive for manufacturers.

Appreciate this but more incidents reported like this will help justify further improvement. Appreciate any cost to manufacturer will be passed on to the customer but with these safety critical systems they need to get it right. In my experience having driven several EV's the only one I've felt was a problem is the MG4.

Appreciate this but more incidents reported like this will help justify further improvement. Appreciate any cost to manufacturer will be passed on to the customer but with these safety critical systems they need to get it right. In my experience having driven several EV's the only one I've felt was a problem is the MG4.
I agree with you.

Technically these are not safety systems - were they we would not be able to disable them. They are classified as 'driver assistance'. My argument is that anything that is not a true safety system should be OPT-IN, ie the driver should have to turn it on, not be on by default.

I agree with you.

Technically these are not safety systems - were they we would not be able to disable them. They are classified as 'driver assistance'. My argument is that anything that is not a true safety system should be OPT-IN, ie the driver should have to turn it on, not be on by default.

Agree with this. If its not something like ABS that is proven then a driver should have to OPT-in, not have it on by default. On my SEAT Mii electric I would leave it on as I feel it has value and is not an annoyance, and I would leave it on in the MG if they had a decent system but will this ever be the case?

Funnily enough I leased an e-golf for a couple of years and in almost every way the MG is better (except LKA, software and build quality). Just wish MG could sort it!
Ha, fair comment !

I like that the e-golf ( although dull to drive and has a short range ) just works tbh and I like all the little things that the golf has that annoyed me in the MG - such as a rear interior light so I can load my child into the car at night

I think it will do me 2 years until it’s approved used warranty is over then I’ll move it on and as it’s 4 years old I’m hoping t’s depreciation will hopefully be steady.

I’m hoping by then I’ll be able to afford a bmw i4 or IX3, they seam to be best of both worlds - old school buttons and luxury, well sorted software, great to drive and a decent range on them.

In my experience lka is at its absolute worst when there are tyre tracks on a frost covered road.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape as it could have been a lot worse and the car can be repaired. I agree LKA needs a lot of work to make it fit for purpose.

I'd be careful how you word your claim to MG. The LKA doesn't kick in until the car is doing over 37mph yet you must have reached that speed in less than 100m despite knowing the road was icy and driving carefully.

Thanks, exactly what I've done. If have to go through insurance then absolutely will!!

Hope you're ok fella!!!!!!

What's it going to take for them to sort this!!!???
The DVSA also has a service for you to report issues that you believe are genuinely dangerous. I’d recommend doing that as the most formal way to record the incident.

Like others sorry to hear about your experiences. Its been said in the past by myself and others that in the users handbook there are many instances where MG have said that the ultimate responsibility lies with the driver, which means reading between the lines that MG won't accept any. I'm sure this approach is not restricted to MG but is an industry standard written by clever lawyers who would have seen this sort of incident occurring and have pre-planned defences for it. We would all wish you the best if that is an option you would wish to take, if indeed you could find a lawyer to take it on. Again commiserations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel