Hidden keys

Only the key sharing was disabled
... I have 2 keys and they both work, but the digital key hasn't worked (either for 7 months, or since day 1?)- as ive noted its no major issue (as can call the AA), nevertheless if we have a system to get us out of a situation, then it would be good to know that it works?

... I have 2 keys and they both work, but the digital key hasn't worked (either for 7 months, or since day 1?)- as ive noted its no major issue (as can call the AA), nevertheless if we have a system to get us out of a situation, then it would be good to know that it works?
Absolutely. You want things to just work. The odd thing is that it works flawlessly for me as an SE owner, and apparently it wasn’t supposed to. It could just be another MG software team anomaly…

Ok : I'll delve a litttle further, whilst its not a major challenge, nevertherless would be very useful incase I left me keys at home (as my car is quite near the keys in the house - yes this is a security issue, but what can i do? (+ live in the middle of nowhere!)), but had my phone with me (y)
You could keep your keys in an RFID box or pouch to get around the security issue.

After reading this thread I recalled reading whilst waiting for delivery of my MG4 Trophy that the car could be started with a digital key held on your smart phone. Curious, I got out my phone and checked the app and yes, there it was. So a little experiment was in order.

First I tried unlocking my car on the app from the house, worked fine just as I expected but the digital key was perhaps unsurprisingly non-functional. Then, leaving my normal keys well away from the car I went outside, unlocked the car again with the app, and got inside sat on the drivers seat and pressed the brake pedal. The car registered no key present so I tried the digital key again on the app. After a short communication with the car, the key registered and the car powered up without problem allowing me to drive it away from the house without an issue. When I got back, it also allowed me to power the car down and lock it again.

So, it seems that at least on my 3-month-old Trophy you can start and drive the car with nothing more than Smart Phone, the MG App and a digital key. It looks as though it makes a Bluetooth connection so I would assume that you need to have previously switched on Bluetooth in the car and paired your phone with it. This would make sense as the key should only work from a short range.

I can't say I would risk driving day to day like that but it might come in handy if I ever mislaid my keys and needed my car in a hurry.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back