Home charger

How are you finding your instavolt? Currently torn between that and the Zappi but sounds like there have been loads of app/online issues recently which given that its 100% reliant on the app isn't good.
I've had HyperVolt 3.0 installed since January, the server has only gone down once however it doesnt stop you from using the charger, just using the app. If you'd locked the charger via the app you can unlock by throwing the trip off and on. HyperVolt have really good customer service and I like the app. Zappi is a lot more expensive, but I can't speak for it as I've never used it.

My (not so) humble opinion:
Best looks; decent tech; decent app: Hypervolt
Best tech; best app; uninspiring looks: Zappi
Decent looks; decent tech; works with variable charging tariffs: Ohme

Oh, and if you're using a 13A (or 10A) plug-in charger plug it in to something with a thermal cutout. And if you're using it on an extension reel fully unwind the reel!

NB: According to folks in another thread Octopus Intelligent will support Zappi later this year, but personally I try not to place much value on promised features without a firm release date ("end of May" is still pretty vague)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use a granny charger at home and no problems with overheating etc. Mickser 22 hours isn't a problem as i plug it in overnight on a Friday when I get home from work and it's done on Saturday evening if charging to full. If I'm toping up it's ready after breakfast ...

Hypervolt on your wall certainly wont go unnoticed...

Screenshot_20230403_160049_Photos~2.jpg

Last edited:
I always use a granny charger at home and no problems with overheating etc. Mickser 22 hours isn't a problem as i plug it in overnight on a Friday when I get home from work and it's done on Saturday evening if charging to full. If I'm toping up it's ready after breakfast ...
This thread has a lot of back and forth on Granny charging cable. You can make your own decisions. What I would say is that with the granny cable you get 80%ish efficiency. So if you charge 50kwh you actually get charged for 62.5 kwh. If you get a home charger you will actually get charged for 54kwh (efficiency of 93% ish). Figures may change for different people but it is generally correct I think.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 483 78.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel