• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Home charger

MG granny won't cause overheating it's rated at 10A which is the constant rating of a UK socket, 13A is peak rating
The MG supplied charger is 10A maximum output

Although Ayoull, looks like he is a lines man, by definition he is a professional trained person, who subconsciously is assessing the risks both at home & work, the problem is the vast majority of the general public isn't. There are quite a few examples with the headline electric car fire, when in fact its the household wiring that caused the fire -

Loose wires, causes fires!

I wouldn't trust untested house wiring to charge my 30K car & 300K house as a long term charging solution

Attachments

• 422ABC8900000578-0-Pictures_of_the_car_which_has_a_17_6kWh_battery_show_its_gutted_-a-70_14996...jpg
    422ABC8900000578-0-Pictures_of_the_car_which_has_a_17_6kWh_battery_show_its_gutted_-a-70_14996...jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 244508984_4495651350493385_5090888483354746323_n.jpg
    244508984_4495651350493385_5090888483354746323_n.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Although Ayoull, looks like he is a lines man, by definition he is a professional trained person, who subconsciously is assessing the risks both at home & work, the problem is the vast majority of the general public isn't. There are quite a few examples with the headline electric car fire, when in fact its the household wiring that caused the fire -
Loose wires, causes fires!
Yes it's high resistance joints that cause the issue, this is why they started pushing AFDDs after Grenfell.

It's recommended every dwelling is tested every 10yrs but who do you know that has had this done?

Edit: also worth noting original granny chargers provided with EVs and phevs were 13A rated, and after a few years reduced to 10A due to this issue.

A problem is cheap Chinese ones for online where you can pull 16A through the unit as its designed for schuko connectors but can have a 3pin plug fitted

Last edited:
The only time I've used my granny lead in "anger" was at my cousin's place - he said the socket I was planning to use was the right one as it was recently installed with quality, heavy-duty wiring. :)

Hi I live in Dublin and have a exclusive mg4 ordered,can someone recommend a home charger and company to supply and fit,thanks
Find an electricity provider that does cheap rates for EV cars. Here in England it is Octopus (may be there too). Then ask them what charger they recommend. Again here in UK you can get cheap tariff called Intelligent from Octopus if
1) The can communicate with your car electronics (spoiler alert - they cannot with MG4)
2) you have an OHME charger

So, in order to get the EV tariff I had to get OHME charger. Octopus themselves installed it.

Good luck.

As long as you check it often and don’t leave the extension lead coiled up everything is fine

If it gets so hot that it goes on fire then you didn’t check it

Oh that's ok then, when the fire starts it is because it wasn't checked often enough. Nothing to worry about.
Yes exactly if someone left it get so hot that it actually went on fire then something is wrong somewhere

To get that hot is very extreme

I have an electric chainsaw and a few other electric gardening tools and I use a regular extension lead. After prolonged use I often set off a fuse and have to wait for everything to cool down

I can’t see how something will go on fire without setting off one of the fuses or another safety feature

Yes exactly if someone left it get so hot that it actually went on fire then something is wrong somewhere

I have an electric chainsaw and a few other electric gardening tools and I use a regular extension lead. After prolonged use I often set off a fuse and have to wait for everything to cool down

I can’t see how something will go on fire without setting off one of the fuses or another safety feature
You seem to have made your mind up despite everyone's advice to the contrary saying it's not a long-term option.
It's going to take about 5hrs to get 10kw into the car, that's a fair amount of checking on it.
You can search anywhere on the internet and you will see it's not recommended for regular long-term option.

Surely if your electric tools keep tripping and get too hot - you should check them also for faults. You shouldn’t rely on the fuse tripping to save the day - overloads can cause wire fires especially in older properties, before the trip activates.

Circuit breakers and fuses aren't overload protection in the true sense of the word, they are fault current protection, and will operate within the curves below if the breakers are BS60898 or BS61009 compliant, so could operate well beyond the limits of the weakest point of a circuit for a decent amount of time, causing thermal overload.

1632736284150.jpeg

Only AFDDs that are relatively new to the UK Market are capable of preventing electrical fires.

Only fires initiated by an arcing event.
Which the vast majority are proven to be due to arcing events at points of poor termination or connection breakdown.

It's very rare (not saying never happens) for a cable to fail mid length which would be a thermal overload failure which would take the insulation to point of ignition.

So most would be covered by an AFDD but I take your point.

Yes, presumably overheating in the wiring cannot be detected.
If correctly rated cable is used the cable terminations will fail before the cable will, and will result in an Arcing situation, but I do take Alb's point that it wouldn't protect against 100% of eventualities.

It also doesn't protect against badly installed or specified installations.

If correctly rated cable is used the cable terminations will fail before the cable will, and will result in an Arcing situation, but I do take Alb's point that it wouldn't protect against 100% of eventualities.

It also doesn't protect against badly installed or specified installations.
Indeed. Might there be a future way to detect wiring problems via measuring increasing resistance over time?

Indeed. Might there be a future way to detect wiring problems via measuring increasing resistance over time?
Schneider did build a monitoring device for its easy9 range a few years back, which did an earth loop reading to a remote diode you placed either at the furthest point of a radial or mid point of a ring to do "health surveillance", but dropped it when the basically realised they'd be liable for any damages not detected as its algorithm and software based to determine whether to alarm or not

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back