Home Charger

I have a Qube EV which you can set to 16 amps .. this will only give you half a full charge each night on off peak but it may be enough for you and would be able to be installed on your looped system.. Requires remote RCD so would suggest electician fits it

Yeah hadn't thought of that, definitely better than knocking on my two neighbours doors & asking them not to have a shower or do laundry tonight whilst I'm charging the car. :D

you could just use the granny charger but that will only suppl 10 amps at best...the lower the amps the less you will get in your batteries over off peak period... of course the rest will go in on day rate...not the best but still probably cheaper than connecting to chargeable public charger

you could just use the granny charger but that will only suppl 10 amps at best...the lower the amps the less you will get in your batteries over off peak period... of course the rest will go in on day rate...not the best but still probably cheaper than connecting to chargeable public charger

There is a instavolt fast charger about three miles away if I need a full charge fast but yes the granny charger will be OK for most of our needs as we're both retired, I was hoping to get a decision from the electricity people one way or another before I pick the car up in three weeks time. It's been ongoing since the 2nd of November 2020. :confused:

As much as I know the DNO are responsible for the cost I would check that out, caveat, things change and everybody is trying to save on cost so it may have changed but still worth checking.
Marc

So just had my 80amp fuse fitted (for free). I asked the installer about the 100amp and he said that they do t offer it anymore as there were concerns that most meters, including smart meters, are designed for 80amps and that they would burn out before the 100amp fuse would blow if there was a surge. Also, he said that as most chargers need to be smart, they would regulate the amount of amps, so the DNO (Western Power) doesn’t see any need to offer 100amps

As far as I understand it the DNO will onlyffer to contribute if it is a problem with the cable and not just because you need more power...but it isworth asking

chowbenter... some electicity suppliers offer , say 9 hours, cheap rate...you might want to look at this if you need more hours to charge

As much as I know the DNO are responsible for the cost I would check that out, caveat, things change and everybody is trying to save on cost so it may have changed but still worth checking.
Marc

I'm hoping it's going to be a free upgrade, Sooner or later these old houses will have to be brought up to today's specs.
Speak of the devil! Just got an email from BP Pulse saying due to new legislation the charger will have to have it's own independent supply & they're unable to go ahead with installation until a 100Amp double pole mains isolator switch & separate electricity supply has been installed by the DNO.

Last edited:
These are the cables which connect your meter to your consumer unit ( fusebox)

Most 'modern' installations will probably be 25mm which is perfect but if ou have an older property they may be 16mm
your electrician will know

1609955085364.png

The grey box on bottom left is the mains cable coming in, with the main fuse, 60,80 or 100amps. DNO responsible. 25mm tails to the meter above, then 25mm tails to the isolation switch on the right. Your supplier responsible. The 25mm tails to the fusebox, your responsibly

We rang the DNO (electricity north west) people today to find out one way or another what was happening and was told you need to ring this other number as they're doing that work.

We rang the number they gave us with a job number & as soon as we told them what the BP pulse people said needed doing to have the household electrics upgraded they put the phone down & haven't answered it in over four hours of trying this afternoon :mad:

Rang the DNO back to tell them what was happening & they said they'll email them :rolleyes: I'm not holding my breath to get any decision any time soon, This has been ongoing since the start of last November.

Hi all

I’m looking to get a charger fitted at home and I have been told that I need to upgrade my fuse on the main meter from 60amps to 100amps.

I contacted my distributor and they said I only need to change it to 80amp for a home charger.

Is that right as a lot of places I’ve seen that they need 100amps?
if you have a charger with "current monitoring capabilities" it can be fitted without having to wait for the DNO to visit and upgrade your supply as it will only charge up to the maximum current available.. others.. can be quite a wait and a load extra work..
gary

If its a simple fuse swap, I called Western Power Wednesday at 2pm, and they were over Today at 9am.
I'm have a new circuit added to the house later in the year, so ask for fuse upgrade incase there was a wait, and to avoid any issues later on.

Of course they open up the fuse holder which is marked at 60amp, and inside is a 80amp fuse... The engineer spent the most of the time on the phone to get the tamper alert on the smart meter turned off.
Also western power will not offer 100amps any more without three phase.

We rang the DNO (electricity north west) people today to find out one way or another what was happening and was told you need to ring this other number as they're doing that work.

We rang the number they gave us with a job number & as soon as we told them what the BP pulse people said needed doing to have the household electrics upgraded they put the phone down & haven't answered it in over four hours of trying this afternoon :mad:

Rang the DNO back to tell them what was happening & they said they'll email them :rolleyes: I'm not holding my breath to get any decision any time soon, This has been ongoing since the start of last November.

A bit of an update, We finally managed to get a new job number from the DNO people this afternoon, We did find out that the people who are contracted out to carry out this upgrade work are working in the next street to us.

Apparently one chaps fuse board went up in smoke the other day disabling the power to the other two houses in the shared loop of three. o_O
They're currently replacing the old electricity supply with a new upgraded supply, Sounds like these antiquated electricity systems in these old houses are finally coming to their end date after over 100 years. :eek:

Last edited:
Especially if you place the myenergi hub as close to the garage in your house and run an ethernet cable back to the internet router. But avoid using homeplugs/ethernet over powerline adapters as they might cause either charging issues or Internet issues.
My hub is installed in a ground floor extension roof space and plugged into an Ethernet connection I wired in specifically for it. It communicates quite happily to the Zappi which is installed at least 25 metres away. The signal goes through the pan tiled roof before a clear shot to the Zappi. Hope this helps - Rob

If you get the chance always go for 100 amps, if within your budget. Remember you young people, Gas boilers are banned in the 30's!

Well Signs of things happening at last :D Just had word from the DNO people that they're coming on the 21st January to start work on the electricity upgrade.
They want me to have a word with my other two neighbours who share the same shared loop electricity supply as they want to upgrade them whilst they're at it. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom