• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

How can one set default values for Mode and KERS?

I have to say I don't really understand how being in anything other thank kers3 makes sense. We do realise that the accelerator pedal is analogue not digital? If you don't want to slow down so much don't fully take your foot off? I like knowing that in an emergency maximum kers will kick in and start slowing the car before my foot gets to the brake. It takes a bit of learning coming out of cruise, but I just press the accelerator before switching off and that seems to work fine to avoid sudden speed changes.

I have to say I don't really understand how being in anything other thank kers3 makes sense. We do realise that the accelerator pedal is analogue not digital? If you don't want to slow down so much don't fully take your foot off? I like knowing that in an emergency maximum kers will kick in and start slowing the car before my foot gets to the brake. It takes a bit of learning coming out of cruise, but I just press the accelerator before switching off and that seems to work fine to avoid sudden speed changes.
If your control of the pedal is perfect then I'm sure KERS 3 is absolutely fine. Mine isn't. I frequently accidentally ease off a little too much and waste energy having to accelerate again if I leave it in KERS 3. So I change to KERS 1 whenever I plan to maintain the same speed for any length of time to avoid this.

That's how I do it (ZS), but you could argue that keeping it in KERS 1 and using the brake pedal does a similar thing, just a bit more foot shuffling.

None of the KERS modes are 'more efficient', it just changes how much you decelerate when you take your foot off the accelerator. I find it easier to maintain a constant speed in KERS 1 whereas KERS 3 is ideal for slowing for a junction or roundabout. KERS 2 is good for winding B roads. I frequently change between them as required.
Also, KERS 3 in circuit on say a motorway, will actually increase the current draw. You can see this if you switch modes whilst monitoring the Amps if you’re on a motorway cruising at say 70. So mode 1 for cruising and 3 for Milton Keynes roundabouts etc.

All of the above is very useful to a newbie like me. Would you use KERS 3 if you were in heavy traffic/traffic jam and were slowly creeping along?
Personally I would however I don't think KERS3 brings you to a complete stop. If you were creeping along I guess you'd have no foot on the acceleration as it creeps automatically if in drive mode, then when you need to stop the car before hitting the one infront you'd have to apply the brake. So it wouldn't make a huge difference, but I guess it would be the one I'd go for incase you did go up to say 20 mph and back down again to 0. Good old M6 I've spent some time on jams there.

I don't personally see this as an issue. As the car starts out in normal and kers 2 its only one click up or down to on each button to change the setting. I also find it easy enough to reach for the buttons while driving to change while on the move.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom