How / can you check battery SOH ?

Thank you guys Ayoull, and Tig 170, for the posting and pictures but I have to admit I’m lost in try to understand what it all means, so Ayoull shows that a 100% Soc makes no difference as I requested, the only other thing I can see difference is you both have about the same voltage but very different power 3.0kw against 0.2 kw and also different elevation what ever that means, so please excuse me I don’t understand what all of this means but if as Tig170 has posted the car we still be running at 110,000 miles then there’s no worries it’s the wife’s 4SESR and her last car she had for around 16 years and was under 60,000 when she got the MG4.

But as I said at the start of thank you guys for the interesting inputs
Les
The power is the power being drawn from the battery pack, so I had the heating on when I took my screen shot the 0.2kW is basically the latent load of the car just being "on"

Thank you guys Ayoull, and Tig 170, for the posting and pictures but I have to admit I’m lost in try to understand what it all means, so Ayoull shows that a 100% Soc makes no difference as I requested, the only other thing I can see difference is you both have about the same voltage but very different power 3.0kw against 0.2 kw and also different elevation what ever that means, so please excuse me I don’t understand what all of this means but if as Tig170 has posted the car we still be running at 110,000 miles then there’s no worries it’s the wife’s 4SESR and her last car she had for around 16 years and was under 60,000 when she got the MG4.

But as I said at the start of thank you guys for the interesting inputs
Les
This thread should be renamed "MG4 Brain Training for the Older Experienced Driver" 😁

Can anyone recommend an OBD reader and some numpty videos on how to use it?
I
Can anyone recommend an OBD reader and some numpty videos on how to use it?
I am certainly only a beginner as a new owner of a used MG5 SR (24079 miles), but I have the OBD Link LX and it seems to work fine with the Car Scanner App. This App does know about the MG5, not all do.
I wouldn't go so far as to recommend these, because I simply do not have any base-line to compare it with. But most importantly, Bjorn Nyland (Youtuber Tesla Bjorn) thought it was good.
I am sure I have a lot to learn, but I haven't yet found what I don't know.
Please find attached some screen shots from last night, after my first balancing charge. I am still digesting these. Please feel free to comment. I'm sure I will learn something that I didn't know that I didn't know.
PS - Don't lock the car with the OBD Link LX plugged-in, it sets-off the alarm, after a time delay.

Attachments

• Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 20_37_53).png
    Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 20_37_53).png
    189.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_04_12).png
    Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_04_12).png
    388.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_04_45).png
    Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_04_45).png
    296.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_05_07).png
    Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_05_07).png
    388.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_05_29).png
    Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_05_29).png
    299.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_05_51).png
    Screenshot (27 Jul 2023 21_05_51).png
    328.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I

I am certainly only a beginner as a new owner of a used MG5 SR (24079 miles), but I have the OBD Link LX and it seems to work fine with the Car Scanner App. This App does know about the MG5, not all do.
I wouldn't go so far as to recommend these, because I simply do not have any base-line to compare it with. But most importantly, Bjorn Nyland (Youtuber Tesla Bjorn) thought it was good.
I am sure I have a lot to learn, but I haven't yet found what I don't know.
Please find attached some screen shots from last night, after my first balancing charge. I am still digesting these. Please feel free to comment. I'm sure I will learn something that I didn't know that I didn't know.
PS - Don't lock the car with the OBD Link LX plugged-in, it sets-off the alarm, after a time delay.
SOH=100 % after 24079 miles? It seems strange. How old is the car?
Other users (above) reported few % of degradations with less milage. Am I wrong?

SOH=100 % after 24079 miles? It seems strange. How old is the car?
Other users (above) reported few % of degradations with less milage. Am I wrong?
100% SOH is what the ODB dongle and CarScanner app report. I do not know how the app derives this. The car was first registered 13 Sept. 2021 (from V5c). I purposely bought a used car that had more mileage than less as it seems that EV batteries 'like' to be exercised, rather than left at high rates of charge for long periods.
One consideration is the buffer, or extra capacity over and above the nominal capacity. So any degradation may not have started eating into the stated capacity of the battery.
I have no other explanation. Nor do I currently have any other way of establishing the battery SOH. The Garage provided a printout saying the SOH was 100%, I presume they used a professional ODB reader of some kind. A bit like the one used by Matt of Go Green Autos (YouTube)

Last edited:
ABRP’s recommendations:

Just be careful about OBD bluetooth security. Many of these devices are pretty insecure and could let others into your car, best not to leave them connected when you are not there.
You may find poking at anything via the OBD2 port when the car is locked will set off the alarm.

The best reliable way to check the health of the battery is measure the range on a full charge.

Make a bit of max range you can get on 100% charge and see how it goes down over the eyars

The 7 year warranty says if the battery is less than 70% capacity then they will replace it.

They plug in their computers and say no your alright the battery is still over 70% capacity

We can tell if our battery has 70% capacity lift by how much range you get on a full charge compared to what it was at when we first had it

Unless you have access to the software code used to do the calculations you are in the dark either way.
No we are not in the dark. We can prove the range has decreased it’s nothing to do with their software

The best reliable way to check the health of the battery is measure the range on a full charge.

Make a bit of max range you can get on 100% charge and see how it goes down over the eyars

The 7 year warranty says if the battery is less than 70% capacity then they will replace it.

They plug in their computers and say no your alright the battery is still over 70% capacity

We can tell if our battery has 70% capacity lift by how much range you get on a full charge compared to what it was at when we first had it
According to that theory my Trophy battery is at 108% SOH then. :unsure:
Screenshot (23 Jul 2023 14_37_57).png

According to that theory my Trophy battery is at 108% SOH then. :unsure:
View attachment 19275
What it displays and what you actually get are different. The displayed range depends on many factors.

I do a regular trip from north London to wales on the M4. The first time I did it I can get to the bridge from 100% from my house and use 60% to the bridge from London so 40% left and this is just about enough to get to my final destination but I always charge when it gets under 20%.

This is how I can keep tabs on my battery capacity can I still get to the bridge with 40% left in a few years time

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back