How good is the MG4 at multiple rapid charges on a journey?

DinkyDavo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
We currently looking to change our Nissan Leaf for MG4, but before we commit ourselves wanted to hear from people who got one on how well it copes on Multiple Fast Charges on one large journey.

We occasionally travel from Hertfordshire to Newquay in Cornwall for camping. But with the leaf range this requires leaving stopping for 3 rapid/quick charges. But as the Leaf does not have an active Coolinng after the 2 rapid charge the battery is hot 3 rapid charge only charges at 10kw.

What are owners experiences of the MG4 EV on Long journeys that require multiple rapid charges.

Thabks

I have the SR battery, so the shortest range of the models available. A couple of weeks ago I drove from central Scotland to the south coast of England, a distance of 450 miles, with three charging stops. I saw 85 Kw charging power at most stops. The LR battery will charge a lot faster, people are reporting over 140 Kw, and if I'd had one of these then I'd probably only have stopped twice.

Even when I was over 90% charge on the SR I was still getting 13 Kw.

I watched a couple of videos where people took the Trophy model (LR battery) on long trips and the general message was that its charging speed was extremely good. Others are saying that they hardly have time to get a coffee before the car is charged. If you do long trips often, the LR battery will repay the extra cost.

However, if you prefer the easier day to day management of the SR (no funny stuff about not charging to 100% and not leaving it sitting at 100%), the absence of cobalt and the cheaper price, the SR is no slouch on longer journeys either. If you only do long trips infrequently it's not a bad choice.

I have the SR battery, so the shortest range of the models available. A couple of weeks ago I drove from central Scotland to the south coast of England, a distance of 450 miles, with three charging stops. I saw 85 Kw charging power at most stops. The LR battery will charge a lot faster, people are reporting over 140 Kw, and if I'd had one of these then I'd probably only have stopped twice.

I watched a couple of videos where people took the Trophy model (LR battery) on long trips and the general message was that its charging speed was extremely good. Others are saying that they hardly have time to get a coffee before the car is charged. If you do long trips often, the LR battery will repay the extra cost.

However, if you prefer the easier day to day management of the SR (no funny stuff about not charging to 100% and not leaving it sitting at 100%), the absence of cobalt and the cheaper price, the SR is no slouch on longer journeys either. If you only do long trips infrequently it's not a bad choice.
Agree 100%

Fast Charging, especially on the LR/Trophy models seems to be a particular strong point of the car, impressive speeds have been reported

Had a trip from Norfolk to Wiltshire only stopping at rapid chargers there and back and the car would be done by the time we’d used the toilet at the services and bought a drink. Nothing to worry about.

I have not yet required a charge away from my home based charger. But I have made phantom long distance journeys to see where ultra fast charging would be available. What shocks me considerably is the cost of a kWh. They all seem to be around the £0.80/kWh. With petrol costing around £7/gallon, and my mg4 doing around 4 miles per kWh, that equates to just 35mpg (equivalent). Are we stuck for ever with fast charging costing an unreasonable premium?

I don't think any mainstream current model EV has this problem.
Possibly excepting glorified e-Scooters like the Citroen Ami, but that's another category really.

We're almost a year in to the MG4, and have never experienced a bad experience todate, albeit 95% of journies are within 200 miles of home (with a home charger). But as per title did need to make a 300-400 mile round trip yesterday. Whilst charging at around 82Kw (81% battery), i did get a message (something about Call SOS, initially in yellow, then red), but it self cleared after a few mins (and charging didn't stop). Did 160 miles on motorway, took on another 38kw, and then drove 180miles, total journey time ~7-8 hrs incl breaks & stops. We tend to use the telsa charging network (currently only 22 are available to any CCS car), as its reliable, has the capacity, and its cheaper than all the others.

Attachments

• IMG_5165.PNG
    IMG_5165.PNG
    107.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Welwyn to Newquay would be a total of 34 minutes charging in an MG4 Trophy LR, during a 5 hour journey btw. That's starting with 80% and ending on 11%. You could do it all in a single stop, but here ABPR has suggested two stops -- I'd probably go with that (or more), to stretch my legs, and time at least one charge to coincide with a meal.

1694512981737.png

We currently looking to change our Nissan Leaf for MG4, but before we commit ourselves wanted to hear from people who got one on how well it copes on Multiple Fast Charges on one large journey.

We occasionally travel from Hertfordshire to Newquay in Cornwall for camping. But with the leaf range this requires leaving stopping for 3 rapid/quick charges. But as the Leaf does not have an active Coolinng after the 2 rapid charge the battery is hot 3 rapid charge only charges at 10kw.

What are owners experiences of the MG4 EV on Long journeys that require multiple rapid charges.

Thabks
We went from a 40 Leaf to an MG4 - Rapid charging and driving and rapid charging - Dream in the MG - Not So in Leaf as you know..

Have you ordered ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel