How to reset steering and windows after 12v battery disconection

the briggie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Reset steering and windows after 12v disconnect. Never having had to do it, it would be good to get confirmation from forum members that this is correct before adding it to hints and tips. Thumbs up would do. Comments more than welcome.

One recommendation is to get the wheels in the straight ahead (centre) position ahead of the disconnection

After the car powers up, you'll likely need to reset the steering wheel (1) and reset all the windows (2).

(1) turn the wheel fully to the left, then fully to the right, then return to the centre
(2) fully lower the driver's window, fully raise the driver's window (may need to be done in increments). Repeat for the other 3 windows.

You may also need to reset any preferences you'd made (e.g. for the CUSTOM drive mode, HVAC settings, etc.)

Last edited:
I followed this procedure on my 2024 extended range and it solved my window problem.

When the car came back to life I had a prompt to operate the drivers window and almost every driver assistance mode was disabled (lane assist, collision warning, driver drowsiness etc.) these all reset once I had put the car in drive.

All of my trip computers reset so I had no record of mileage or economy other than the overall mileage of the car.

The car was still bound to the app which worked fine and all of the radio settings were still saved

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back