How to tell LR v SR

Of course, it’s your car so you can charge from any low SOC to the absolute Max if you feel that way inclined.
That is your own prerogative !.
Charge to 80% or 100% if that’s your thing.
I guess it depends on the individual’s usage pattern to be honest.
I tend to charge to level that is required to suit my travel plans over the next couple of days.
If you are bashing up the miles and then using the car the following morning, then fine charge to 100%.
But if your plans over the next few days or a week, only see you taking on short local stuff, then why bother charging to 100% for that ?.
It’s a bit like filling your petrol tank to the max, only to conduct local shopping or pop to the newsagents each morning - why ???.
I have seen people follow this mind set for years, fill up their tanks and cover about a 100 miles, then top up the tank ????.
Force of habit I guess ?.
Their is no law about doing this, so carry on.
I just don’t get it TBH.
On the ZS EV LR - If you look at the charging screen, it actually SUGGESTS charging to 80% for short trips etc.
This is giving you about 200 miles of range, which is more than ample for most local stuff.
Why would they go to the bother of suggesting this otherwise ?.
Like I say, it your car charge it as you like !.

If it was the SR version which might be happier going to 100% every so often...
It is accepted practice to charge the SR to 100% every time you attach the charging lead.
In fact you can’t do anything else, unless you manually interrupt the charge yourself.
Two completely different battery chemistry at work here, with different advice given on what MG considers to be best charging practice to suit each type of HV battery technology.
But again, the owner(s) can do what ever they consider best for their own car(s).
After owning a ZS EV Gen 1 for over two years and 20,000 miles covered, I really wanted a LR model next time.
I regularly charge to 80% SOC which covers our usage needs for 99% of the time.
80% SOC on the LR gives me the same predicted range of the SR model at 100% SOC and I still have the ability increase that range by charging to a full 100% SOC.
I do really like that level of flex-ability.
It’s a little like having a extra reserve petrol tank on an ICE car 🤣.

It is accepted practice to charge the SR to 100% every time you attach the charging lead.
In fact you can’t do anything else, unless you manually interrupt the charge yourself.
Two completely different battery chemistry at work here, with different advice given on what MG considers to be best charging practice to suit each type of HV battery technology.
But again, the owner(s) can do what ever they consider best for their own car(s).
After owning a ZS EV Gen 1 for over two years and 20,000 miles covered, I really wanted a LR model next time.
I regularly charge to 80% SOC which covers our usage needs for 99% of the time.
80% SOC on the LR gives me the same predicted range of the SR model at 100% SOC and I still have the ability increase that range by charging to a full 100% SOC.
I do really like that level of flex-ability.
It’s a little like having a extra reserve petrol tank on an ICE car 🤣.
Exactly my thoughts on my LR 5 in place of my previous mk1 ZS.

I used to fill up my ICE cars then run them to almost empty, for the simple reason of not having to visit the petrol station too often. That's irrelevant now I can fill up my EV at home. ;)

Today, I'm only using AC.........
fast show Jessie.jpg

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me exactly how you identify whether the car is SR or LR? I apparently have had a 72 LR Trophy but I can’t seem to limit my charge to 80% on the slider on app or in car? None of the paperwork I received denotes one or other. I can’t find anything (that I understand) which provides that info on plate in drivers door or under bonnet.
Many thanks

You should set your required SOC charging level prior to plugging in the car.
If you have a standard range model, you will notice that when you try pulling back the charging level from the default 100% SOC it will keep springing back to 100% !.
This is because of the chemical make up of the battery used in the standard range models if different from the LR models.
MG have defaulted and recommend that standard range models in the Gen2 ZS EV facelift should ALWAYS be charged to 100% SOC.
It is recommended that on the LR model that charging to 80% is used for regular every day trips and then charge to 100% SOC for the longer trips.
Different battery chemistry in both models is the reason why 👍.

Of course there's nothing to stop you unplugging it when it gets to 80% if you wish to do so. ;)

Thanks Lovemyev and Kithmo,

Car now has over 80 so am stuffed. However, on the charging screen in the car there appears to be two options: one long trip 80-100 and one below, something like battery health?? If it was the SR would those options be there?

Seems utterly bizarre that there is nowhere in or on the vehicle which denotes what sized battery you have. What happens when it comes to resale?

Thanks Lovemyev and Kithmo,

Car now has over 80 so am stuffed. However, on the charging screen in the car there appears to be two options: one long trip 80-100 and one below, something like battery health?? If it was the SR would those options be there?

Seems utterly bizarre that there is nowhere in or on the vehicle which denotes what sized battery you have. What happens when it comes to resale?
Is there a piece of paper in the glove box with the car details on it? Should give date of manufacture and type approval etc. Battery should be on there

Failing that, range estimate at 100% should give a solid idea. My SR (depressingly) gives about 145-155 miles in current temps. I'm guessing a LR should be around the 200 mark or higher?

My SR has no ability to set a charge limit but it does state things like 'Long Trip Mode' in the charging screen.

Couple of the other site members have done a bit of detective work and it appears the reason I’ve been getting such limited range is that the car that was supplied was an SR, despite my order being for an LR.
41BB86F1-696E-4543-8F66-89F28150AD8A.png
E4BA8174-5DE4-4667-BEB3-48995D1A0D50.png

Trip to the dealership me thinks. With all your paperwork 🙁
Wish it was that easy Vipar. Salary sacrifice lease scheme through work (NHS nurse). Now a centralised system, so car doesn’t come from local dealer (I did ask but that’s not how it works) and so vehicle delivered from the fleet companies approved dealership. So I have to go through the fleet company.

The worst thing is is that due to the cold weather, and being brand new to EV’s, it’s taken three weeks and 500 miles to realise something is truly wrong. It was picking my daughter up last night after NYE party that sealed it. 43mile round trip at 12c, car prewarmed on charger, at 100% and slow drive on empty flat roads at 30-40mph and used over 25% of battery.

But, given there is no way of simply telling what battery you have and the lease agreement is clearly for a 73kw I don’t think they have a leg to stand on! 🤞 It’s a simple fix, but given the lead times I doubt it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom