• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

How to update your MG ZS EV media system

ARvanHAS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
My car came with the updates installed, at least, that what they said when I picked it up.
I assumed that was right because the GON is permanetly shown on the cockpit screen and the outside temerature is on the screen of the mediasystem.

But I just found out I only got Comfortpack 2 installed, not the 2 other ones.
The good news is, it turns out you can update it yourself.

Because I couldn't find anything in the manual nor in any post about this how to do this I made this post.

The best way to do this is with a laptop in the car, but internet is required.

You can check if you have the latest updates yourself by putting a formatted (FAT32 or exFAT) USB stick in the USB port which is also used for Android auto. Then go to setup/System in the Mediasystem, then scroll down to Update Navigation and press [Start]. Wait a bit untill the system asks if you want to use the USB stick, press [Yes]. When it is finished is says something like "the USB stick contains information about the current software and you have to go to NaviExtras.com"

This is appears to be a MG website wich has software for our navigation system (free and payed updates)
First register by selecting your car (in the Netherlands that is MG ZS EV Western Europe (UK) - so not the non UK one) and fill in the rest ...

After that is done, download the available software tool for your computer (Windows or Apple), install it and start it. Plug in the USB stick and wait a bit. Login. The tool will recognize the information on the stick and tell you if there is any update available and if it's free or not.
Download the desired software, but only one at a time otherwise nothing will be installed in the car.
When the tool tells you to install it in the car, do so.
Go to setup/System in the Mediasystem, then scroll down to Update Navigation and press [Start]

After that and if there are any updates left, redo the whole routine:
format; go to car and put current software signature on USB, plug USB in computer and follow tool, update car etc.

Good Luck!

Or just call your dealer...

Last edited:
Perhaps you reset something but it just does the Nav system - that’s what the site is.
However you can reset your settings to factory values, that won't change or remove any update.
Did you actually readout your system, install and login into the tool to see which updates are available?
I did.
And besides a map update (indeed it is mainly for maps) I got the mentioned other, not map related, update.

ARvanHAS
Many thanks for your info regarding the Nav upgrade, I successful y upgrade my nav today.
I had the Comfort upgrade installed by the dearler and when I picked it up the nav screen had a central clock and date showing. Using the car today I had the normal screen and can't see any way of getting the clock to display, any clues?

ARvanHAS
Many thanks for your info regarding the Nav upgrade, I successful y upgrade my nav today.
I had the Comfort upgrade installed by the dearler and when I picked it up the nav screen had a central clock and date showing. Using the car today I had the normal screen and can't see any way of getting the clock to display, any clues?
I don't really understand what you mean.
A central clock and date showing? Like this?
15945000025166555517180302893256.jpg

That is some sort of a screensaver which pauzes everything . You can activate it by pressing the central knob of the mediacenter for a few seconds. Pressing it again gives you the normal mode back ?

(y) Just done mine (nav), thanks for the info. Took ages, probably about 20-30 minutes, to download to the USB stick on the PC but only a couple of minutes onto the car.
Do you know if we get any future updates for free or is it just this first one ?

(y) Just done mine (nav), thanks for the info. Took ages, probably about 20-30 minutes, to download to the USB stick on the PC but only a couple of minutes onto the car.
Do you know if we get any future updates for free or is it just this first one ?

As far as I know map-updates are for free for 3 years.

I don't use the maps, I use Waze.
But if for some reason my internet connection doesn't work, I have a "up to date" backup nav.
I found the mediasystem update more important because that made it quite a lot snappier. Also ACC and Pilot seem to be smoother. But that is most likely my imagination.

Has anyone found a solution for the USB stick issue that al FLAC music files in a folder seem to have a not playing duplicate? I am pretty happy that its working for FAT32 and ExFAT configured sticks, but this duplicate thing is an unwanted issue. Is it possible that it's caused by my Mac (as it sometimes ads a hidden file-but usually not something like this), anyone with a Windows PC having the same issue?

Can't help but interested in someone can confirm you can play MP3 and FLAC fils via USB - reading here it seems you can. Helpful to know about the maps update too!

Can't help but interested in someone can confirm you can play MP3 and FLAC fils via USB - reading here it seems you can. Helpful to know about the maps update too!
Yes, you can. Use an empty (Fat 32 or exFat formatted USB stick). Then copy FLAC or MP3 files to it. Optionally make one folder for each album (get rid of the unwanted other files, maybe just have the front picture of the album as well in there). Place the stick in one of the USB ports (front 2). Select "Music" from the audio system and it will see the USB stick, then select the folder and first song of that folder album and it will start playing. One of the things I see and have not solved is that there might be duplicate names of songs in the folder which do not play (usually the one that will not play are preceded with a . or , ).

Yes, you can. Use an empty (Fat 32 or exFat formatted USB stick). Then copy FLAC or MP3 files to it. Optionally make one folder for each album (get rid of the unwanted other files, maybe just have the front picture of the album as well in there). Place the stick in one of the USB ports (front 2). Select "Music" from the audio system and it will see the USB stick, then select the folder and first song of that folder album and it will start playing. One of the things I see and have not solved is that there might be duplicate names of songs in the folder which do not play (usually the one that will not play are preceded with a . or , ).

Thanks for that, appreciate it (y)

You can check if you have the latest updates yourself by putting a formatted (FAT32 or exFAT) USB stick in the USB port which is also used for Android auto. Then go to setup/System in the Mediasystem, then scroll down to Update Navigation and press [Start]. Wait a bit untill the system asks if you want to use the USB stick, press [Yes]. When it is finished is says something like "the USB stick contains information about the current software and you have to go to NaviExtras.com"

Preparing the usb like this does not harm the excisting installation of navigation in my car?
I just want to have a usb for exploring the naviextras toolbox in windows, updating I will do later.
So there is only information downloaded to the usb for verification? Excisting navigation keeps working?
Thank you for answering.

Preparing the usb like this does not harm the excisting installation of navigation in my car?
I just want to have a usb for exploring the naviextras toolbox in windows, updating I will do later.
So there is only information downloaded to the usb for verification? Excisting navigation keeps working?
Thank you for answering.

PS, is there any option in Naviextras to get a real up to date list of charging stations especial quick chargers?

Thank you for answering.

Well it is software, so always be aware there is a chance you brick it when you use it (but that goes for just using your car too).
Knowing that and that the Car's system will be written on the USB stick and not the other way around, it is pretty safe. It means there is nothing written to the Car itself. The system checks if there is data it can use on the USB stick, if not it will write it's data to the USB stick to be used in the NaviExtra's tool.

Ps: updatelist of the charging points? No, not that I know of. It is kind of (or just really) a crappy navisystem. Slow and has no realtime data, or even actual recent road or charger data. The most recent versiondate is 09-2019.
I use A better route planner on my Phone for routeplanning. Although I found some not functioning Ionity chargers with it, it is the best there is (besides Tesla's onboard navi) and I use Waze or Maps for navigation with Android Auto.
If you want good live data from the charging stations, I suggest to use the app of Maingau on your phone (by the way, also the cheapest per kWh charging @rapid chargers).

Last edited:
I saw a review of the MG ZS EV ages ago - can't remember who made it - and they said the nav system doesn't include the location of charging points. Is that right? ? Anyway, here's hoping some smart people around the world will dig into the system and start improving it (y)

Thank you Arjen,
My car is only 4 weeks old and I think the nav system is up to date.
I had a little hope there was something like a charging point list in the Naviextras shop.
Maybe hard to believe, but I still don’t have 4G on my phone:mad:
I think is the only way to go on the road without troubles.

I saw a review of the MG ZS EV ages ago - can't remember who made it - and they said the nav system doesn't include the location of charging points. Is that right? ? Anyway, here's hoping some smart people around the world will dig into the system and start improving it (y)

I hope it too. It directed me to AC chargers in the garden of other people. And many of (the most important) quick chargers are not shown.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom