• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

How to update your MG ZS EV media system

Just tried it again, put some test videos in a folder called "video" and the car wouldn't even see the folder! Needless to say they woudln't play. Have you applied any special attirbutues to your files, such as bitrate, resolution, etc?
[/
Stick formated to Fat32 ,files loaded onto stick, not in a folder. Press video and they should play OK. Files not altered in any way.

Just tried video on a FAT32 formatted pen drive, no luck. Placed some files (mpg, mkv, avi, mp4) in the root and the car doesn't see them. I also placed the videos in a folder called "video" and again neither the folder or contents are visible. This isn't a massive issue for me, but am I doing something wrong? As a tech hobbyist, I'd like to resolve this ??? I've tried with the car in ready mode, and out of ready mode. It has had the Comfort 2 update. I'm wondering if I need to update the media system as described earlier in this thread...

On a positive note, I discovered it will play aac audio files, so I've added that to my list above.

Update - you have to do the updates mentioned at the top of this thread for the car to play video when parked. Mine now works and had a video button on the screen. Also, I did all the updates in one go not one-by-one as mentioned and it seemed to work (y)

Well I spoke too soon - can no longer access the in-car satnav, will post seperately :mad:
Did you go back and check for more updates. When I did mine naviextras showed 2 updates and I downloaded both then updated on the car. I thought I had done both updates but when I ran the system footprint procedure again and went back to naviextras there was another map update showing. So I downloaded it and updated the car again. Then checking naviextras yet again there were no more updates showing.

This only updates maps and Nav functions not the car systems
This does only update the navigation and has absolutely nothing to with the update that is done with a usb stick on the comfort 2 update because you have to access a secret menu of the head unit to do it.
It really isn't worth messing about with as you could brick your navigation should something no be done correctly.

I don't use the maps, I use Waze.
But if for some reason my internet connection doesn't work, I have a "up to date" backup nav.
I found the mediasystem update more important because that made it quite a lot snappier. Also ACC and Pilot seem to be smoother. But that is most likely my imagination.
It really is. You have only updated any new roads etc and nothing to do with the operating software.

@MG Technician Can you have the car in ready mode while rapid charging? And run HVAC simultaneously? would the answer be the same if the car is ‘on’ While charging?

Lastly is it ok to leave car in on/ready while waiting with HVAC?

I’m thinking you can run HVAC in ready mode while rapid charging. It’s high speed DC and since on/ready engages the HVB there is no chance of flattening the 12V battery.

Sorry for all questions just would appreciate your thoughts.

HI Lee
Your EV wont rapid charge while in ready mode but if it did.
The problem you would have is that to control the heat within the main HV battery while rapid charging there are two TXV Valves. One controls the HVAC to the interior the other Controls the HV Battery cooling / Heating system. When the Battery temperature rises the HVAC TXV valve is switched off and the TXV valve for the Battery fluid is switched on. You would lose HVAC as this is done so the Heat in the HV Battery coolant can be brought down to maintain battery temps. When charging you may sometimes hear a buzzing, its the fluid pump for the HV battery working away to maintain temps,
Hope this helps

HI Lee
Your EV wont rapid charge while in ready mode but if it did.
The problem you would have is that to control the heat within the main HV battery while rapid charging there are two TXV Valves. One controls the HVAC to the interior the other Controls the HV Battery cooling / Heating system. When the Battery temperature rises the HVAC TXV valve is switched off and the TXV valve for the Battery fluid is switched on. You would lose HVAC as this is done so the Heat in the HV Battery coolant can be brought down to maintain battery temps. When charging you may sometimes hear a buzzing, its the fluid pump for the HV battery working away to maintain temps,
Hope this helps
This is interesting. I can confirm that last winter I’d regularly have the heating running whilst rapid charging on CCS. With charge started you can press brake and start button to have the car systems running, charging and maintaining the 12V more importantly. The HVAC is very good indeed on those cold winter nights waiting to top up.

Hi @Mark Brown im sat rapid charging as I type this. I can confirm that @MG Technician is correct and that I cannot charge while in ready state. I thought I was because I was holding down brake pedal but the word ready was not there.

I can confirm this behaviour with my car. While waiting, one press of start is ACC mode, no hvb and turns off after 5 mins. Two presses is on, but message hv battery shut off message flashes up indicating I’m going to kill 12v. Brake pedal plus start is ready mode perfect for setting off or chilling with radio.

While charging one press is acc mode And two presses is on with hvb. I cannot put car into ready mode while charging.

You could run the hvac while car is ‘on’ and rapid charging but after reading @MG Technician advice, I would say you would be better letting the car try to cool the battery for faster charging.

Hi @Mark Brown im sat rapid charging as I type this. I can confirm that @MG Technician is correct and that I cannot charge while in ready state. I thought I was because I was holding down brake pedal but the word ready was not there.

I can confirm this behaviour with my car. While waiting, one press of start is ACC mode, no hvb and turns off after 5 mins. Two presses is on, but message hv battery shut off message flashes up indicating I’m going to kill 12v. Brake pedal plus start is ready mode perfect for setting off or chilling with radio.

While charging one press is acc mode And two presses is on with hvb. I cannot put car into ready mode while charging.

You could run the hvac while car is ‘on’ and rapid charging but after reading @MG Technician advice, I would say you would be better letting the car try to cool the battery for faster charging.
I was careful not to say I was in ready mode so I do agree. My point is you can use the HVAC to either cool or heat you and that the 12V is protected. I see no reason to freeze or boil whilst charging so all is good.

I don't know, I just followed the instructions on naviextras toolbox, took a fingerprint of my nav on USB, inserted it into my PC and naviextras showed me what updates I needed and were available, downloaded them then took the USB to the car and followed the prompts on the nav. It's quite straightforward really and pretty much the same as on my Toyota Priuses, which I've updated several times in past few years.
How do I take the fingerprint on the usb?

How do I take the fingerprint on the usb?
Take a FAT32 ot exFAT32 formatted USB drive and put it in the right-hand USB slot (the one nearest the driver). Go into the media settings and you'll find an "update satnav" option. Select that and it will download files to the USB drive. You then need to register at Naviextras, downalod the Toolbox software, and it will compare what's on the USB drive to any files that are available and put them on the USB drive. Yu then put this back in the car, select the same "update satnav" option and it will install the new files. Beware of problems though a few of us have had - my satnav now does not work!

Take a FAT32 ot exFAT32 formatted USB drive and put it in the right-hand USB slot (the one nearest the driver). Go into the media settings and you'll find an "update satnav" option. Select that and it will download files to the USB drive. You then need to register at Naviextras, downalod the Toolbox software, and it will compare what's on the USB drive to any files that are available and put them on the USB drive. Yu then put this back in the car, select the same "update satnav" option and it will install the new files. Beware of problems though a few of us have had - my satnav now does not work!
I would suggest you leave it with the dealership....

I would suggest you leave it with the dealership....
In that case, I hope they're more clued up than mine. They didn't know you could update the maps, thought Naviextras was nothing to do with MG, and said the map updates are included in the Comfort 2 update 😮

Last edited:
Brilliant, thanks. I got as far as the update option, then I thought I better stop as I didnt see the fingerprint option.

In that case, I hope they're more clued up than mine. They didn't know you could update the maps, thought Naviextras was nothing to do with MG, and said the map updates are inlcuded in the Comfort 2 update 😮
I dont mean to be bad, but thats exactly how I feel about them. Twice they tried to do the BMS and failed. They didnt know what it did or even how to test it. I have to send the dealer principle an email outlining how to do the test, so they could test it on the 3rd attempt.

Hi All,

I downloaded the file on the usb after I got the fingerprint. Worked a treat up to that point. Then when I popped the usb in to the car, and started the update, it got up to around 80% and then the screen just rebooted each time. I got no pop up info box.
Painful stuff.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom