Hub cap removal ?

DaevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Do you just pull the wheel covers til they pop off ? May be trying to remove them to check if they cause the minor vibration I posted about earlier but don't want to damage them in doing so ( don't know my own strength) .... and if that's all that's required, what's to stop little scrotes nicking them for frisbees ?

Do you just pull the wheel covers til they pop off ? May be trying to remove them to check if they cause the minor vibration I posted about earlier but don't want to damage them in doing so ( don't know my own strength) .... and if that's all that's required, what's to stop little scrotes nicking them for frisbees ?
yes and nothing is the short answer. Just ease them off the spokes all the way round before removing completely.

Just making it more n more complicated 😂. Thanks.
I used to have a mate I called Big Al. Your posts remind me so much of his quick witted view of the world. Pretty sure you're not him ( and obviously the original) . Must be something in the name 😉

I took mine off when I gave the car a wax, ceramic coat. I even ceramic coated the covers & alloy’s underneath ( I was on a mission )

Like @GaryMG4 said, just work your way around & ease them off. Surprisingly they went back on without much fuss either.

Tbh I was half tempted to leave them off because I think the alloys look pretty decent but apparently with the covers on it gives you an extra 10% distance due to the aerodynamics?

Luckily here on the IOW we don’t get much problems with car break ins. If I still lived in London I wouldn’t expect them to remain on the car for long especially with how easy they are to take off.

When I worked as a Mechanic in my local garage (AutomasterGB Watford) I used to pull them off in one go.

Mainly because of my incredible grip and upper arm strength.

One arm was much stronger than the other. (OBVS)

Depends on whether you can get enough fingers into the hub cap itself.

If not, as the chap up above said, you have to do it peacemeal, until enough is away from the alloy before it comes off.

Use a large trim tool, if you have one to avoid scratching the alloy.

I doubt cable ties would affect efficiency or be heavy enough to unbalance them tbh, and If someone wants your hub caps m8, a cable tie isn't going to stop them.

Now I wonder who will chime in with any masturbatory quips? 🤔

Answers on a postcard (Ian key) 👍🤣

Last edited:
Now I wonder who will chime in with any masturbatory quips? 🤣
I got to be honest. As soon as I read the part about your upper arm strength my brain went into top gear readying a very witty reply

But then I got to the last part & just conceded it will be no fun now your're expecting it 😁

I got to be honest. As soon as I read the part about your upper arm strength my brain went into top gear readying a very witty reply

But then I got to the last part & just conceded it will be no fun now your're expecting it 😁

I can read the lot of you like a Bloody Book!

And If you know me at all by now you will know that I do have a slightly naughty side.
Much impaired since my recent interactions with 'Da Management' 🤣

(Hale & Pace)

Just making it more n more complicated 😂. Thanks.
I used to have a mate I called Big Al. Your posts remind me so much of his quick witted view of the world. Pretty sure you're not him ( and obviously the original) . Must be something in the name 😉
Its a curse! :D

When I worked as a Mechanic in my local garage (AutomasterGB Watford) I used to pull them off in one go.

Mainly because of my incredible grip and upper arm strength.

Depends on whether you can get enough fingers into the hub cap itself.

If not, as the chap up above said, you have to do it peacemeal, until enough is away from the alloy before it comes off.

Use a large trim tool, if you have one to avoid scratching the alloy.

I doubt cable ties would affect efficiency or be heavy enough to unbalance them tbh, and If someone wants your hub caps m8, a cable tie isn't going to stop them.

Now I wonder who will chime in with any masturbatory quips? 🤔

Was trying to find some links between Captain Pugwash and removing hubcaps but have failed miserably.:mad:

One was a clean cut American vegetarian sailor with oversized biceps (useful for hubcaps) the other was the innuendo master of my teenage years. Did they really say that on kids' telly in the 70s, as shocked kids used to say the next day in the playground. Must link in with #10. ;)

One was a clean cut American vegetarian sailor with oversized biceps (useful for hubcaps) the other was the innuendo master of my teenage years. Did they really say that on kids telly in the 70s, as shocked kids used to say the next day in the playground. Must link in with #10. ;)
I was a kid watching telly in the 70s but the Pugwash reference has passed me by m8.
You might have to spell it out.🤣

No need. I'll save the postage 😁

I was a kid watching telly in the 70s but the Pugwash reference has passed me by m8.
"The British Captain Pugwash animated television series, which originally aired on the BBC between 1958 and 1967, is widely believed to have featured characters with risqué maritime names such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin Boy. In fact, the crew of the famous Black Pig ship included sailors with no such names.

Present on board were Master Mate, Tom the Cabin Boy, and Pirates Barnabas and Willy. (No character with the designation of 'Seaman' appeared in the show.) Series creator John Ryan successfully won retractions and settlements from Sunday Correspondent and the Guardian after both newspapers claimed that the show's characters did indeed have smutty names, and that the BBC had taken it off the air as a result."

"The British Captain Pugwash animated television series, which originally aired on the BBC between 1958 and 1967, is widely believed to have featured characters with risqué maritime names such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin Boy. In fact, the crew of the famous Black Pig ship included sailors with no such names.

Present on board were Master Mate, Tom the Cabin Boy, and Pirates Barnabas and Willy. (No character with the designation of 'Seaman' appeared in the show.) Series creator John Ryan successfully won retractions and settlements from Sunday Correspondent and the Guardian after both newspapers claimed that the show's characters did indeed have smutty names, and that the BBC had taken it off the air as a result."
Could have sworn it was early 70s and that the !st paragraph was more accurate than the 2nd. I won't make a good witness for the defence!

I can read the lot of you like a Bloody Book!

And If you know me at all by now you will know that I do have a slightly naughty side.
Much impaired since my recent interactions with 'Da Management' 🤣

(Hale & Pace)
Hale & Pace, I loved that show.

Mind you, can you imagine the outcry if that was on TV today, some would want it cancelled out of existence.

I love this. What's not to laugh at with Willy {snigger}, Master Mate is so close as to damn it and a whole new double entendre for Tom the cabin boy ? 😏

Back to wheel covers people, Daevm makes a good point, how do you fix the covers so only you can remove them, and doesn't look like a bodge job. Has anyone priced up a replacement from MG?

Back to wheel covers people, Daevm makes a good point, how do you fix the covers so only you can remove them, and doesn't look like a bodge job. Has anyone priced up a replacement from MG?

You can't.

Locking wheel bolts? Yes.
Locking wheel covers? No.

Certainly nothing practical anyway.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member