HV battery shutoff when initiating rapid charge. Vehicle control system fault.

There is a software fix exactly for this problem. My 22 ZSEV Trophy LR was bricked on its first Rapid charge in N Wales back in April last year. AA flat bed it back to my dealer in Swindon who contacted MG UK and they issued a software update for it. Its been perfect ever since.

I'm looking for advice on managing the failure of our MG ZS Long Range to successful rapid charge without bricking. We bought it March 30th 2022. Out of 12 attempts, 4 failed and needed the AA to sort it ( first two flat load to dealers from West Wales, last 2 the AA managed to clear the faults with their diagnostics kit. Most of the time we trickle charge at home, ( Hampshire) no problem.
With this high failure rate it is obviously not fit for purpose. Do we ask for a replacement car that works or return yet again to the dealers for another software check, or ...?
And I can't find our Warranty certificate. All advice most welcome. Many thanks.
Earlier delivery models are very likely to need the software update that was only released late very late March early April 2022.
This was in direct response to the bricking problem on certain D/C rapid chargers that you are witnessing.
Maybe your car did not receive the update in time for collection.
Our car was collected mid March 2022 and I am more than sure it missed the update.
Had our car first serviced done last week and the updates applied to the BCM ( body Control Module ).
@Chris Chappell check out the suggestion that @N2STY has suggested.

Do you think it’s software.
Just tried. No, we can't. Does that mean the 'anti-bricking' software has not been installed?

When charging at home can you unlock the car and remove the cable without having to stop the charge with car or app?
Just tried. No, we can't. Does that mean the 'anti-bricking' software has not been installed?

I think that it has not had the updates in the software to stop this and the others in the post will agree as they have more experience than me.

When charging at home can you unlock the car and remove the cable without having to stop the charge with car or app?
Then yes, it requires the BCM ( Body Control Module ) updates.
It's worth saying, that we have been using our MG ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) since mid March 2022 and had not problem charging the car at all, no warnings etc.
BUT ......... As we always charge from home on our A/C wall box and avoided the use of D/C rapid chargers, as this appeared to be the trigger point for the HV warning when using certain rapid units.
Repeated attempts to try and receive a charge from some D/C unit can result in the HV error.
Prior to the update last week, if I unlocked the car with the fob while the car was charging on our wall box, it resulted in the cable NOT being released.
You have to manually stop the charge in the App or the head unit.
Unless, the car was conducting a delayed charge on "Off Peak" as when the car reached the requested SOC ( e.g. 80% ) it would put the wall box into standby mode.
Then when unlocking the car, the cable could be released with the fob because charging had completed.
The BCM update was not released until very late March / early April time of 2023.
If you car was an early release, then it is likely it has not had the update.
I was pretty sure our car had not received the update, but the test above is a pretty good indication really.
The dealer will only know themselves when the car is hooked up to the diagnostic computer.
Then the car will be scanned for any available software updates that are outstanding, if there are any, they will be installed there and then.
As of last week, any and all updates have now been installed.
This all change next week of course !.

It's worth saying, that we have been using our MG ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) since mid March 2022 and had not problem charging the car at all, no warnings etc.
BUT ......... As we always charge from home on our A/C wall box and avoided the use of D/C rapid chargers, as this appeared to be the trigger point for the HV warning when using certain rapid units.
Repeated attempts to try and receive a charge from some D/C unit can result in the HV error.
Prior to the update last week, if I unlocked the car with the fob while the car was charging on our wall box, it resulted in the cable NOT being released.
Unless, the car was conducting a delayed charge on "Off Peak" as when the car reached the requested SOC ( e.g. 80% ) it would put the wall box into standby mode.
Then when unlocking the car, the cable could be released with the fob because charging had completed.
The BCM update was not released until very late March / early April time of 2023.

How is the delorean these days? 😁 Say hi to Marty for me 👍🏻

If you car was an early release, then it is likely it has not had the update.
I was pretty sure our car had not received the update, but the test above is a pretty good indication really.
The dealer will only know themselves when the car is hooked up to the diagnostic computer.
Then the car will be scanned for any available software updates that are outstanding, if there are any, they will be installed there and then.
As of last week, any and all updates have now been installed.
This all change next week of course !.
It might've even been later than that, I got my LR mid May, I'm sure the dealer had to do the update as part of the PDI

It might've even been later than that, I got my LR mid May, I'm sure the dealer had to do the update as part of the PDI
That is why Miles made the comment "Until the car is connected to the diag computer, it's impossible to know if any updates are available for that particular car".
Cars can sit around a while before they are sold and this can be a mitigating factor also.

That is why Miles made the comment "Until the car is connected to the diag computer, it's impossible to know if any updates are available for that particular car".
Cars can sit around a while before they are sold and this can be a mitigating factor also.
I agree, I think that mine was on the slow boat when the fix was brought out. They'll be quite a few people in the same boat (sorry...dad humour!)

A huge thank you to all the patient MG ZS owners who replied on this problem (bricking on rapid charging.) We sent a letter headed Complaint to our dealer in Guildford, with your helpful info (Members are saying that it needs a specific software update as described in the Service Bulletin AS-22-025 especially on these specific ECUs: VCU, EV, CCU, BMS, TC. The dealer can claim on AS-22028 for the cost of doing the update.)
After 8 days, with free loan of a car, they have done as suggested AND the test worked! : When charging at home can you unlock the car and remove the cable without having to stop the charge with car or app.
So we live in hope for another long journey one day.

A huge thank you to all the patient MG ZS owners who replied on this problem (bricking on rapid charging.) We sent a letter headed Complaint to our dealer in Guildford, with your helpful info (Members are saying that it needs a specific software update as described in the Service Bulletin AS-22-025 especially on these specific ECUs: VCU, EV, CCU, BMS, TC. The dealer can claim on AS-22028 for the cost of doing the update.)
After 8 days, with free loan of a car, they have done as suggested AND the test worked! : When charging at home can you unlock the car and remove the cable without having to stop the charge with car or app.
It's a real shame that you have to jump through these hoops just to get your car updated

As said before, I think the issue here is that some dealers are less than willing or confident in carrying out these updates.
If all goes correctly, then brilliant !.
But if not, it can cause the dealer a whole new world of pain !.
Even to the point of bricking the car.
If the car was with the dealer for 8 days, that would imply to me that they needed the help / remote instruction from MG Tech in order to carry out the work without encountering any issues.

Guys,

If you have a home charger ALWAYS plug it in EVERY night and you should in theory never have a low 12v battery and the probable problems that come with that. Let the BMS deal with the health of the HV battery, after all that's it's function amongst other things. If you worry about overcharging the HV battery don,t as ALL EVs report a 100% charge when in actual fact it is not. I like the fact that EVERY morning I have a full tank so to speak ready to go if needed regardless of the lockdown.

I honestly can't understand all the faffing around worrying about how you charge the HV Battery, let the BMS do it's job and if there is a problem you have an 7 year warranty to deal with that.

Keep safe

Frank
Frank,terrible advice.charging every night whether you need it or not is fastest way to degrade your battery for sure.

Frank,terrible advice.charging every night whether you need it or not is fastest way to degrade your battery for sure.
I disagree I charge every night to 90% apart from when I do a balance charge battery is still 100% state of health
1000026348.png

I disagree I charge every night to 90% apart from when I do a balance charge battery is still 100% state of healthView attachment 20686
I have agree with with you, I have a PHEV which I have had for over two years and I charge from around 60% every night to full and the battery is good as the day I got the car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom