• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

HV battery shutoff when initiating rapid charge. Vehicle control system fault.

Hi guys,

I've been really busy recently, sorry.

From your previous comments, my 12V battery was ok as I said in my initial post. Sometimes shows 12V other times 14V.
I definitely didn't touch any buttons while driving, though even if I did, I would expect the car to be functioning again after another stop/start cycle or a restart.
But in my case the car freezed while driving and didn't want to respond to any commands after that

I have little information from the dealer and MG customer support unfortunately.

After putting a lot of pressure on the dealer and MG I managed to get my car repaired after one and a half months.

The sad thing is they (dealer and MG) don't want to give me a copy of the repairs report.

The dealer just verbally told me that "a controller failed" and they got it fixed at Loughborough factory in the end.

MG customer support say that they don't give this kind of information to customers (?) and to go speak to the dealer.
That's really terrible customer experience, but at least they fixed the car.

@iclau86,
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Thankfully the vehicle is back and you are driving safely. May I ask if the did all you updates and comfort 2 upgrade as well or do you have to go back for these.

Hey @KasEV ,

They did mention something about an update, I'm not sure what Comfort 2 is, but they mentioned something about improvements on the start-up.
I also noticed software changes, now the car shows the temperature, which didn't display before.

Hey @KasEV,

I don't think I have the BMS update, at least I haven't found this option yet in the settings.

I noticed though they changed the function of the battery button to actually do what it was supposed to do probably (shows the range when clicked whereas before it didn't do anything and the range was always displayed on the screen just like the current speed).

Is there a special setting for the delayed/timed charging somewhere in the system? Do you know where it is?

It looks like I have HW Version HW002 and SW Version ZS11_E_EU_NAV_31.05_200409_R (this looks more like a satnav version but I don't use it anyway as Google Maps and Android Auto works better).

@iclau86,
The BMS update facilities the delayed / timed charging without any specific dashboard display within the car.
Basically what previously happened is that if one needs charging then one must connect the ZS EV to a power source which must be on or be turned on with 60 seconds for immediate charging to begin otherwise the on-board /BMS goes to sleep and won't charge the ZS EV.
This functionality still persist but in addition one can now connect to an timed or programmed charger and leave the car connected with electricity off, the BMS will recognise this and wait for the electricity to be turned on. As soon as the programmed charger presents the car with electricity at whatever time one has set it will wake up from sleep and charge.
The setting for charging time/duration is therefore from either 3 pin wall socket timer or any standard programmable OLEV charger. Works with all the brands on the market currently which are time programmable.

Hey @KasEV ,

They did mention something about an update, I'm not sure what Comfort 2 is, but they mentioned something about improvements on the start-up.
I also noticed software changes, now the car shows the temperature, which didn't display before.
more to the update than they are saying then and some still charge for it

@Phil752,
Please do not get confused.
BMS update which sorts out the delayed charging is totally different from Comfort2 Upgrade which deals with the Bongs, Temparature display etc.
BMS update is free.
COMFORT 2 UPDRAGE-- one may have to pay.

Does the car not shut down after a while when you sit with the radio etc on not in READY mode ?

@Kithmo,
Not really sure what your question is about. If it is about the status of the car at start of a delayed charge then the answer is that the car will be off and doors locked just as in a normal immediate charging session.
If it is just a random question, the answer is Yes. Goes off between 2 to 10 mins.

Sorry, what I meant was, if you sit in the car with the radio on and you're in ACC mode, does the car let you sit there forever (until the 12v battery goes flat) or does it shut the ACC mode to off after a certain time to preserve the 12v battery's charge ?

So there's no reason the 12v should go flat except for misuse. (y)

Sorry to be dumb...could you just clarify HBV? I know we have talked about listening to the radio whilst parked.....I often do this when working in my garage...but you have it put it running mode, if you don't want it drain the 12volt battery....correct?

Chris,

Quite simple as with most modern cars whilst the engine\motor is not on and you have the ignition on accessory mode you will only be able to listen to the radio for a pre-determined period and then it will switch off to protect the 12v battery from discharging.

Now, you can be a prat and continue to turn the radio back on again and again whilst in the accessory mode which will eventually discharge the battery or whilst not discharging it completely drain it so that there is not enough voltage\amps available to either turn over the engine in the case of an ICE car our in our case operate the electronics required to run our car.

Easy solution is to either not do it or easier still , just keep the car in ready mode where you could sit there for hours if you wish listening to the radio with little drain on the main battery pack without any detrimental effect on the car unlike an ICE car which will cause noise and emission contamination. The main drain on an EV's main battery pack is moving the car and fighting against ALL the factors involved in keeping it moving,wind ,rain, tyre rolling resistance etc etc, so if all it is doing whilst stationery is maintaining the 12V battery little power will be used. I have never monitored how much it uses to do this but sat in your garage prior to listening to the radio you could connect you charger, note the percentage SOC , disconnect the charger, run the radio in ready to X period, reconnect the charger and you could determine the rate of discharge whilst using the radio only. You could do the same test with the A/C and or heating as well if you wished.

Regards

Frank

Last edited:
Thanks Frank.....
I cant be the only non-computer literate person on our forum, if you could give me the idiots guide to " HBV and Ready mode." and perhaps some of the other abreaviations, that would be great.

In my last ICE car, a BMW X1 you just couldn't listen to the radio for more than a few minutes without have one smelly old diesel running.....which I didn't do.

Chris,

I am 65 and although computer literate, I build my own computers and like a kid stll play computer games. currently playing Doom Eternal, however I digress.

Like most Men when we are playing with our new toys and run into a problem, cars, motorbikes (which I also do) Wifes's etc our last resort is to Read The F÷π®×℅° Manual (RTFM) .

So all I can say is when wanting to use the radio for a long time whilst waiting for the long haired General to finish shopping then just leave the car in ready mode and enjoy and if really worried about the ins and outs of our new toy(s) RTFM. I am not trying to be obtuse (yes I have watched Shawshank Redemption) but that really is the best option, don't bother with the dealers they are as much use as a chocolate frying pan unfortunately. Users of a car know 100% more than the dealers after a few months of use in my opinion.

Happy reading.

Frank

Not to worry Frank....i've never been any good with instruction manuals, I think I suffer from a sort of word blindness or phobia. Without a heavy reliance on spell checkers I'd really struggle. I couldn't even programme my first Betamax video recorder and I was a lot younger then.

I'll get my son to explain it all to me when he comes round for Saturday Dinner ( yes, I can cook and well as wield spanners). All the best. CP

I find the online copy of the manual easier to read than the little book. You can download it off the MG website, even if you don't own a car yet.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom