• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Info only not MG related. Wow just read the following about Mitsubishi

Mark Holmes

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Mitsubishi Motors in the UK has written to its UK franchised retail partners to inform them of the Japanese car manufacturer's plan to exit the UK and European new car markets.

Wow, my local Mitsubishi dealer was until recently a MG dealer as well. They told me that they gave up their MG franchise as most sales were being sucked away to the new larger dealership in Southampton.

Yes that’s wher I read, but who is going to risk buying a Mitsubishi when the news gets out?

A year ago I had a long chat with my local Mitsubishi dealer at our local County Show....I asked him when they were going to make a smaller SUV than the Outlander, but with a longer EV range. He didn't know. I said I thought there would Huge demand for one.

Weeks later I found out about the MG EV.....and immediately ordered one (about 750th) and took delivery in January.

We still have our PHEV, indeed we used it yesterday, as it was raining and I didn't want to get the MG wet!
It's still fine for short runs......but its 25 mile..ish EV range is quite limiting.

I'm not worried about ongoing maintenance for the PHEV.....bits will still be available for years. Still, sad to see them go from the UK.

Hi Chrispydoc, can I ask a question regarding your Mitsubishi?
Does the car operate as either EV or ICE or can it blend the two as per the Toyota hybrid?
Kind regards Kev.

Hi Kev, you can switch it between the two and various combo's...but when the battery get low or if you accelerate hard the petrol engine kicks in automatically. To be honest, at speeds over about 30 MPH I struggle to hear it. On a very long run it delivers about 40 MPG. Mine is the HS version which also has many of the MG's toys.

One thing the PHEV doesn't have...is automatic door locking.....which I think is essential, after once having a drugged up Dick Head jumping into my front passenger seat...as I slowed down to miss him as he was weaving around the edge/road. A horrible incident which I was lucky to get out of unscathed!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, it looks like you car works the same as a Toyota. One weird feature the Toyota Prius PHV has is that you can tell the engine to act as a generator to specifically re-charge the battery back up so you can gain some more EV range. Not quite sure why you would want to though.

Thanks for the info, it looks like you car works the same as a Toyota. One weird feature the Toyota Prius PHV has is that you can tell the engine to act as a generator to specifically re-charge the battery back up so you can gain some more EV range. Not quite sure why you would want to though.
Hi - I also have an Outlander PHEV - you can on one of the options make the engine charge the batteries - you would use this as an example on a motorway so that you can use the battery charge when you do town driving where the battery would be benificial for MPG - but cant say i use it that way

Hi Kev, you can switch it between the two and various combo's...but when the battery get low or if you accelerate hard the petrol engine kicks in automatically. To be honest, at speeds over about 30 MPH I struggle to hear it. On a very long run it delivers about 40 MPG. Mine is the HS version which also has many of the MG's toys.

One thing the PHEV doesn't have...is automatic door locking.....which I think is essential, after once having a drugged up Dick Head jumping into my front passenger seat...as I slowed down to miss him as he was weaving around the edge/road. A horrible incident which I was lucky to get out of unscathed!

Have a look around the settings menu on the screen, on my Outlander there was a setting to turn the auto locking on or off, so you might actually have this, but it's just set to off.

I wonder how may people first tried a PHV ( like myself) prior to taking the EV plunge?

I had (and still have) Hybrids, My low annual mileage didn't make the low miles per charge, extra purchase cost, no free home charger and effort to charge worth it for me.

A bit off topic, but whilst parked in the Derbyshire countryside today.....an older 'cousin' parked next to me.

IMG_8714.JPG
IMG_8715 2.JPG

I wonder how may people first tried a PHV ( like myself) prior to taking the EV plunge?
I had an Outlander PHEV for a bit more than a year and enjoyed the electric experience so much that I resented putting fossil fuel into it and couldn’t wait to switch to full EV. Ordered the ZS Exclusive at the end of last year and it was due mid March but lockdown put paid to that. Finally got it at the start of a June and love every minute of it (especially after the C2 upgrade). Going on our first long(ish) trip this weekend and looking forward to the full experience including a charging stop!

Well done GordieG.....You eco all my thoughts.
Fortunately we were also able to keep our PHEV, as we occasionally need two cars......but it hardly gets any use now.
After our long run around the Derbyshire countryside yesterday,(((( in the MG)))) still came back with over a 100 miles range remaining.......we then plugged it into our solar panels and we didn't drown a single Polar Bear!

Last edited:
Well done GordieG.....You eco all my thoughts.
Fortunately we were also able to keep our PHEV, as we occasionally need two cars......but it hardly gets any use now.
After our long run around the Derbyshire countryside yesterday, still came back with over a 100 miles range remaining.......we then plugged it into our solar panels and we didn't drown a single Polar Bear!
Hi Chris, Outlander PHEV user newbie trawling for info...I think you may now have gone Kia but how did you find the ZS compared to the Outlander in respect of luggage / cargo space?

Hi Jim,

The Outlander ( 4hs) seems much more solid and better "thought-out" car, quite a bit bigger, especially when parking. But that said we had it about 4 years and its been a fine trouble free car. The GOM is telling me high 30's in pure electric range, which to be honest, meets most of our requirements.

However on a long runs, it hardly seems worth trying to charge it up, just to add 30-40 mles of range.

We once went from Derby to Wick ..and back, in foul weather and managed about 42MPG with is not too bad,as it included driving at motorway speeds much of the time. And it can also be a propper 4X4..... if you press the button. It could be yours for £12K! ;)

I rearlly liked the MG, its main frustrations were the poxy controls for the air con etc. And of course the shortish 160 mile range. .....and of course my wife never 'bonded' with it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom