iSmart connection problem

I have a 23 plate MG5 LR, and straight away I have this problem where I scan the QR code and submit my 4-digit pin (and again in the second box) but I just get the caption "This service is not available, please try again later". I tried resetting the infotainment system (hold the "home" button down for 10 sec) and I also tried the date thing where I unset the "auto date" option. I power cycled my (Android) Sony XA2 phone.
I tried sending an email to MG UK, I tried the online help at my local dealer and I tried phoning the local dealer (Perry's MG Huddersfield) but they just say "someone will contact you" which they don't. They already have my money... maybe they lost interest in me already.

Any idea what to do next?

Attachments

• BindingError2023-04-01 16.02.42.png
    BindingError2023-04-01 16.02.42.png
    374 KB · Views: 65
I‘ve just taken delivery of my nice shiny Dynamic Red MG4 Trophy and I cannot get the iSMART App to bind to the car! I’ve tried everything I can think of but the App is not seeing the car. The car IS seeing the login details with my name etc. but the Apps not having anything to do with the car.
I’ve tried using the QR, logging in manually with email, different iPhone - nothing. I’ve even done reset of the car’s infotainment system (dealer suggestion), but I don’t think it’s a problem with the car - it’s the iSMART app!
Once I’ve scanned the QR to bind I get no info in the App and it simply goes back to “would you link to bind the car now?”
I’ve checked the cars firmware is up-to-date and now I’m out of ideas!
Any suggestions anyone?

Have you set the Infotainment screen to Light mode?

Binding is done using the 2nd (smaller) QR code. Plus you need to scroll down on another screen to accept some Privacy settings.

I‘ve just taken delivery of my nice shiny Dynamic Red MG4 Trophy and I cannot get the iSMART App to bind to the car! I’ve tried everything I can think of but the App is not seeing the car. The car IS seeing the login details with my name etc. but the Apps not having anything to do with the car.
I’ve tried using the QR, logging in manually with email, different iPhone - nothing. I’ve even done reset of the car’s infotainment system (dealer suggestion), but I don’t think it’s a problem with the car - it’s the iSMART app!
Once I’ve scanned the QR to bind I get no info in the App and it simply goes back to “would you link to bind the car now?”
I’ve checked the cars firmware is up-to-date and now I’m out of ideas!
Any suggestions anyone?
There are 2 QR codes. The first large one downloads the app the second smaller binds the phone.

Okay - it’s official. I‘m a numptie 🫢.
I thought I’d watched all the YouTube videos, etc. But yes - I had been scanning the wrong QR code 🙄. The car came up with a BIG QR code - so I had scanned that and the car seemed happy - but not the App.
I’ve now scanned the small QR that does specifically say ‘Bind’ on it, and now I’m all good 😊 App can see the car and unlock, etc. - thanks Ian!

On a related issue, is it not possible to lock the car via the app while it's on a charger?

I left my car on a car park type 2 charger on Thursday evening while I went to the theatre. In the theatre foyer, a couple of hundred yards from the car park and two flights of stairs up, I suddenly realised that I hadn't pressed the door button to lock the car. The app confirmed it. So I tried to lock the car via the app. It asked me for my PIN, then asked me to confirm that the car was secure. I clicked on yes, but it refused to lock. I went through the entire sequence about three times, then went back to the car park to find the thing sitting there with its DRLs ablaze. (I did get back in time for the start of the performance.)

Was it the open charger port that caused the lock request to fail? Has anyone else had this experience?

That's what I meant to do!

I'm having trouble remembering, as my Golf was off and asleep the minute I took the key out of the ignition, so walking away without pressing the button on the key to lock it was only a security issue. I'm long out of the way of actually having to put my hand out and press a button on the car when I leave it. It will come back, but it hasn't yet.

This time I got out of the car thinking "remember to lock it" but then went to get something from the back seat, and by the time I'd done that, it had gone out of my head.

That's what I meant to do!

I'm having trouble remembering, as my Golf was off and asleep the minute I took the key out of the ignition, so walking away without pressing the button on the key to lock it was only a security issue. I'm long out of the way of actually having to put my hand out and press a button on the car when I leave it. It will come back, but it hasn't yet.

This time I got out of the car thinking "remember to lock it" but then went to get something from the back seat, and by the time I'd done that, it had gone out of my head.
I missed off the "I" from my reply, I wasn't giving an instruction! 😂 I did hear you the first time. 😁

A pris livraison du MG4 Trophy mercredi dernier.
J'ai téléchargé iSmart depuis l'App Store.
Impossible de s'inscrire : message d'erreur indiquant qu'il n'y avait pas de connexion réseau.
Aujourd'hui, j'ai reçu le message suivant du Dealer :
"MG a actuellement un problème avec l'application et nous constatons que nous ne sommes pas en mesure d'enregistrer de nouvelles voitures sur l'application. Nous surveillerons la situation et vous informerons lorsque MG aura résolu le problème".

Quelqu'un d'autre rencontre ce problème ?
bonjour, aujourd'hui 9/12/2023 idem, toujours en carafe... Grrrrrr

Took delivery of MG4 Trophy last Wednesday.
Downloaded iSmart from App Store.
Could not register - getting error message that there was no network connection.
Today I received the following message from theDealer:
"MG are currently having a problem with the App and we are finding we’re not able to register any new cars to the App. We will monitor the situation and advise you when MG have resolved the problem".

Anybody else experiencing this problem ?
I've the same problem. Not allowing me to open it up Ismart. I had to update ismart. Once that was done I logged in without fault. All be the app is a lot different.

I changed my phone, and the car remained bonded with the old phone (I don't have it anymore). I should have unbound the old phone to bond with the new one, but all attempts were unsuccessful. Do you have any advice or a phone number to contact customer service for the server? Many thanks for considering my request.

Calm down. We need your knowledge.

Perhaps the OP is not using his old phone number if that is what he used to register his account. Or he is not entering his email address properly in the login section.

I changed my phone, and the car remained bonded with the old phone (I don't have it anymore). I should have unbound the old phone to bond with the new one, but all attempts were unsuccessful. Do you have any advice or a phone number to contact customer service for the server? Many thanks for considering my request.
Think of the car's account account like an Amazon account. You can access it from any device by entering your username and password.
Use your old log in details on your new phone and it will log your old phone out. If you've changed your number use the old number and change it to the new one once you've gained access.

Finding this forum this morning I was looking for help with a different issue, but I also have sat in the car tonight for nearly 2 hours going in circles. I’ve had my car since Sept and all has been quite fine with the app and car talking, then all of a sudden a couple of days back it’s all fallen apart 🤣🤣🤣. I get the qr code on the screen, scan it and log in, but on the app it still insists on binding the car and that it’s not bound. I’m at a loss and I’ve tried switching it off and on again 🤣🤣🤣 many times!!! Shall I just sit it out or do I need to call the MG team? Cheers and good luck everyone else experiencing issues.

Finding this forum this morning I was looking for help with a different issue, but I also have sat in the car tonight for nearly 2 hours going in circles. I’ve had my car since Sept and all has been quite fine with the app and car talking, then all of a sudden a couple of days back it’s all fallen apart 🤣🤣🤣. I get the qr code on the screen, scan it and log in, but on the app it still insists on binding the car and that it’s not bound. I’m at a loss and I’ve tried switching it off and on again 🤣🤣🤣 many times!!! Shall I just sit it out or do I need to call the MG team? Cheers and good luck everyone else experiencing issues.
If it is asking you to re-bind then you have used the incorrect login. If you logged in with your e-mail then log out and try to login with your phone number (without first zero), and opposite if you are using your phone number, logout and login with your e-mail

If it is asking you to re-bind then you have used the incorrect login. If you logged in with your e-mail then log out and try to login with your phone number (without first zero), and opposite if you are using your phone number, logout and login with your e-mail
Thanks robf, I will give it a go in a bit. Hopefully it’s my error. Cheers.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back