Knocking noise from the sunroof area!

I’ve posted my experiences so far on other threads (sorry if I hijacked your thread🙄).
I thought I would start a thread detailing my experiences so that these might help others with a similar issue.
Funnily enough I was only thinking that after about 5000miles my car has, apart from the odd rattle been quite quiet really. I do hope that this is not the start of Rattlegate 🤨

so, firstly the noise;
it sounds like you’ve left the tailgate half open and it’s rattling on the latch. So quite a loud knock - sometimes like metal on metal. Annoyingly it sometimes stops - I get the impression the body has to twist/flex in a certain way when going over uneven surfaces - it also seems to improve during warmer days and also when the roof is open - although you obviously get more wind noise that masks internal noise to an extent - the noise seems to be behind my head in the sunroof area when I’m driving.
what i‘ve done;
taken all the junk and paraphernalia out of my car to make sure nothing was causing a noise 🤪
on good advice I screwed out a full turn the tailgate rubber stops to make sure the tailgate wasn’t actually moving around on the latch 🙁
had the rear seat backs down and road tested to see if it could be a rattle caused by where they latch on to the body 🙁
checked the usual culprits like A pillar trims and lower windscreen seal 🙁
opened the sunroof and had a look around for anything obvious that might make a noise - had a poke...🙁

Booked in to MG
anyway no luck so i’m booked in to the MG dealer on 12th April for initially a first look to identify what needs to be done (I can guarantee that it will be whisper quiet on that day). They tell me that they’ve not had this type of issue reported - which is interesting...
I’ll post updates when I get them 👀
thanks to everyone who has offered advice so far 😋
I have 2 qty rattles - the front windscreen has a slight but obvious creak - the other sounds like a glass rattle coming from passenger door - it's definitely glass against metal sound. This is loud and annoying.
I thought it was the sunroof but when that is extended the rattle is just the same at the front of the car.

I have 2 qty rattles - the front windscreen has a slight but obvious creak - the other sounds like a glass rattle coming from passenger door - it's definitely glass against metal sound. This is loud and annoying. I thought it was the sunroof but when that is extended the rattle is just the same at the front of the car.

I'm glad this ain't just me!

I have posted a number of threads relating to my rattle. Started when sun roof was opened even on first stage only. Got worse over the winter months. Rattle sounded like metal on metal to the rear quarter drivers side.
Returned to dealer 3 times who tried what,they say, MG told them to do.
I got so frustrated I finally agreed to have a replacement car that I have paid an amount to cover usage and age.
Dealers and MG seem to have very little information to achieve a satisfactory resolution.
Good luck. I think I took the cowards route.

My son had the same problem rattling when the car was cold don't want to bore everyone with the dealer experience..MG agreed to change the whole sunroof not an easy option just to diagnose the issue and get MG to agree to replace the roof took 4 weeks and they had the car the whole time but this was also because the heater control panel failed so no lights no climate no heated seats just a dead panel this was down to a failed air con compressor.so back to the roof they have had the car for almost 2 weeks they have fitted the new roof but now can't get the electric blind to work all I'm getting out of this is that the dealer engineers have absolutely no idea what they are doing .to end this my wife has the same MG ZS EV and it is running like a dream.

I have posted a number of threads relating to my rattle. Started when sun roof was opened even on first stage only. Got worse over the winter months. Rattle sounded like metal on metal to the rear quarter drivers side.
Returned to dealer 3 times who tried what,they say, MG told them to do.
I got so frustrated I finally agreed to have a replacement car that I have paid an amount to cover usage and age.
Dealers and MG seem to have very little information to achieve a satisfactory resolution.
Good luck. I think I took the cowards route.
I thought that you replaced your car because of the BMS issues that you were having?

I have had the rattle only when the sunroof was open and when the car went over a bump,read drivers side, got worse when cold. MG warrenty is only valid if the dealer can replicate the problem, 4 visits to the dealers, 1 attempt to fix which failed, fixed by completely fitting a new sunroof and cradle which took 4 weeks.

Thanks for all your posts. I’ve decided to cancel my dealer visit as there is not much to hear at the moment. It did rattle once yesterday but it’s so intermittent now that I would be wasting time taking it in. I’ll keep an ear on it 👀

Thanks for all your posts. I’ve decided to cancel my dealer visit as there is not much to hear at the moment. It did rattle once yesterday but it’s so intermittent now that I would be wasting time taking it in. I’ll keep an ear on it 👀

Fingers crossed for you - hopefully, it'll not come back.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Sorry Cocijo - I obviously jinxed it! 😁 When we have our get together, we'll all jump in your car and drive around and around, listening for the rattle! (y)😂

Cheers

Bloggsy
I think after a few beers we will talk it quiet.

When the car goes in for a new bodyshell the sunroof rattle will disappear 🤪
There’s a lot of negative energy here today, I love my car and I’ve had no problems with it; sorry that others have had problems, but you can get this with any new car, not just MG.

Yes, there are days when a few posts are not that positive, that’s the nature of forums I think.
I’ve had a couple of issues but I’m not negative towards MG in particular, as I’ve said I’ve enjoyed the ownership of my car so far - indeed I have recommended the car and a friend has also purchased a ZS - so I have skin in the game as they say. For the record, I have other makes of car - also with some issues - as most cars do at some stage.
That doesn’t mean that I have to accept issues when they arise though - and this forum is a good place to share experiences - I always try to call it the way it is and take a balanced view - sometimes also inject a little humour if I can. as with the bodyshell comment.
I think that most of all finding rust on my car has surprised and disappointed me, as I’m sure that it would with anyone. MG are relative newcomers and I would hate them to get a reputation for rust - that would benefit no-one. Again, I’m not going to go over the top with this, but on my car anyway, it looks as though the required standard has not been met in some areas.
Let’s see how MG react to a customer who has approached them with these concerns. That’s the test for me.

Yes, there are days when a few posts are not that positive, that’s the nature of forums I think.
I’ve had a couple of issues but I’m not negative towards MG in particular, as I’ve said I’ve enjoyed the ownership of my car so far - indeed I have recommended the car and a friend has also purchased a ZS - so I have skin in the game as they say. For the record, I have other makes of car - also with some issues - as most cars do at some stage.
That doesn’t mean that I have to accept issues when they arise though - and this forum is a good place to share experiences - I always try to call it the way it is and take a balanced view - sometimes also inject a little humour if I can. as with the bodyshell comment.
I think that most of all finding rust on my car has surprised and disappointed me, as I’m sure that it would with anyone. MG are relative newcomers and I would hate them to get a reputation for rust - that would benefit no-one. Again, I’m not going to go over the top with this, but on my car anyway, it looks as though the required standard has not been met in some areas.
Let’s see how MG react to a customer who has approached them with these concerns. That’s the test for me.
All fair points and comments, guess I’m one of the lucky ones...👍

There’s a lot of negative energy here today, I love my car and I’ve had no problems with it; sorry that others have had problems, but you can get this with any new car, not just MG.

Sorry if I've upset anyone! Nothing deliberate and I just assumed it was banter. Personally, I'm not pro or anti MG (or any other manufacturer!). Absolutely agree issues arise with all cars and one of the main reasons for joining this forum was so we could share and learn from each other to help us and those buying their cars after us, if we have to let MG know of any ongoing issues.

However, I am also loving the car - you cannot get more for your money at this moment 😁

Cheers

Bloggsy

Sorry if I've upset anyone! Nothing deliberate and I just assumed it was banter. Personally, I'm not pro or anti MG (or any other manufacturer!). Absolutely agree issues arise with all cars and one of the main reasons for joining this forum was so we could share and learn from each other to help us and those buying their cars after us, if we have to let MG know of any ongoing issues.

However, I am also loving the car - you cannot get more for your money at this moment 😁

Cheers

Bloggsy
No problem at all, I’m just really pleased with my car, no offence is taken, but was merely pointing out the negative energy as I would like to focus on the positives for a while maybe balance the scales a little..👍😀

I think I speak for all of us, when I say that we ALL very keen to hear just how MG respond's to your cry for help and support with regards to your problems.
Could be a LOT more than one customer at risk here I feel !.
I truly wish you luck with resolving your issues.
Winning customers is easy, keeping them is the secret to a long success story.

I Love my car, this forum and all you members. (y)

Christmas Wishes Love GIF by Biome Eco Stores

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom