Knocking noise from the sunroof area!

I think I speak for all of us, when I say that we ALL very keen to hear just how MG respond's to your cry for help and support with regards to your problems.
Could be a LOT more than one customer at risk here I feel !.
I truly wish you luck with resolving your issues.
Winning customers is easy, keeping them is the secret to a long success story.
You are so right about keeping customers, the after care to those needed support needs improvement, MG need to take control of the franchise dealerships.

The sound of the rattle is exacity the same as what I had, ramdomly happening, Mg will only fix if there can replicate, this is realy hard when its random, from what I remember it got worse when cold and over 6 months of rattling only with the sun roof open on one click or fully open, the rattle had got worse, lucky for my when driving need my MG garage the rattle started, so popped in and the service mager heard the rattle so the warrenty work could go ahead.The fix was a complete new sunroof not a easy good.
Hope this helps but a pain when its random, I even took videos by having my gopro on the inside of the sunroof recording the rattle, but MG will not take this as replicating.
Still very happen with my Mg problems do occur with all cars.

Oh wow, thought it may have been a loose trim piece and a while new sun roof, I will have a play this weekend 😪

It's such a shame anyone should have problems like this....and the rather inept way MG have handled them.. My granddads favourite saying was "its better to keep a customer than find a new one"

I've obviously been lucky. My car has never caused me any issues in 16 months of brilliant driving.........apart from its occasional habit of saying "HVshut down?) or similar............when starting ....I put that down to pilot error:rolleyes:.

It's such a shame anyone should have problems like this....and the rather inept way MG have handled them.. My granddads favourite saying was "its better to keep a customer than find a new one"

I've obviously been lucky. My car has never caused me any issues in 16 months of brilliant driving.........apart from its occasional habit of saying "HVshut down?) or similar............when starting ....I put that down to pilot error:rolleyes:.
Same here absolutely no issues with my March 20 plate MG ZS EV, loving it.

Hi everyone. I think i might have found the area where this annoying noise is coming from after several weeks of relentless search.

It's definitely from the plastic cover inside the boot door (Find picture attached). When you knock the particular area seen in the picture, you'll know i'm 100% correct. Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve this problem.

Hopefully, somebody will know how to rectify this.

Best regards

Attachments

• 16195959659013228016159140254966.jpg
    16195959659013228016159140254966.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 242
I have an intermittent knocking noise in my MG5 when going over bumps. From the driver's seat it sounds like it comes from the rear nearside. I tried emptying the boot, taking out the boot cover, checking doors and boot fitment, all to no avail. Today when checking for anything loose, I noticed that the nearside ball joint at the top of the hydraulic boot strut has a slight slack movement and when moved by hand, sounds very much like the knocking I heard. The offside equivalent ball joint has no free movement and makes no noise. I'm not sure if the ball joint is a push / pull fit and if I remove and refit it will resolve the problem, or possibly even if a touch of lubrication will help. Has anyone else experienced this? It's only a minor gripe, but when the car is otherwise so quiet it is a bit annoying.

I have an intermittent knocking noise in my MG5 when going over bumps. From the driver's seat it sounds like it comes from the rear nearside. I tried emptying the boot, taking out the boot cover, checking doors and boot fitment, all to no avail. Today when checking for anything loose, I noticed that the nearside ball joint at the top of the hydraulic boot strut has a slight slack movement and when moved by hand, sounds very much like the knocking I heard. The offside equivalent ball joint has no free movement and makes no noise. I'm not sure if the ball joint is a push / pull fit and if I remove and refit it will resolve the problem, or possibly even if a touch of lubrication will help. Has anyone else experienced this? It's only a minor gripe, but when the car is otherwise so quiet it is a bit annoying.
Try moving it by hand when the hatch lid is pulled down slightly to see if it still rattles, the strut is under compression when the hatch is closed so it shouldn't rattle.

Just a thought for the roof rattle on the ZS, a long shot but is there a possibility that it might be a slightly loose roof rail mounting ?

Try moving it by hand when the hatch lid is pulled down slightly to see if it still rattles, the strut is under compression when the hatch is closed so it shouldn't rattle.
You're right. With the boot lid half closed (just enough to still reach the strut), the ball joint was tight and doesn't rattle. All the more puzzling that I only hear it when the boot is shut. I will have to look elsewhere for the culprit.

My car has been off the road for 10 weeks over three separate occasions trying to fix the creak from my sunroof.
I gave up in the end and rejected the car.

You're right. With the boot lid half closed (just enough to still reach the strut), the ball joint was tight and doesn't rattle. All the more puzzling that I only hear it when the boot is shut. I will have to look elsewhere for the culprit.
It's not the number plate rattling on the boot lid is it ?

I’m still tolerating the creaking/rattling sunroof - my car goes in soon for a service and I decided to wait until then to get it looked at.
One quick thing that might just be me. I’ve noticed that with the roof closed and the sunshade also closed, I don’t seem to get the creak/knocking. Could it be the sunshade is providing a bit of extra support to the roof? I’ll continue to monitor it but thought I’d share so those that have the rattle can see if closing the shade makes any difference.

Could it be the sunshade is providing a bit of extra support to the roof?
Anything is possible I guess ?.
But I don't think the blind will add anymore strength to the sun roof.
It could be the actual blind itself is the rattle when it is retracted !.

Anything is possible I guess ?.
But I don't think the blind will add anymore strength to the sun roof.
It could be the actual blind itself is the rattle when it is retracted !.
Mine is generally okay with no noise unless I go over a rumble strip in the road….normal driving doesn’t give me any issues.

Thanks. I’ve not seen any posts where those with a noise have had it cured or cured it themselves. So it’s difficult to say what the cure might be. As I’ve said before, I think part of the issue is that it’s such a big sunroof and the roof area does flex when the car is moving. It would be good to finally find out what the main cause is. Also, I have my roof open a lot - not just in summer, so it does get a lot of use, which might explain why it’s started to rattle. I’m sure we’ll get an answer eventually.

Thanks. I’ve not seen any posts where those with a noise have had it cured or cured it themselves. So it’s difficult to say what the cure might be. As I’ve said before, I think part of the issue is that it’s such a big sunroof and the roof area does flex when the car is moving. It would be good to finally find out what the main cause is. Also, I have my roof open a lot - not just in summer, so it does get a lot of use, which might explain why it’s started to rattle. I’m sure we’ll get an answer eventually.
I think somebody HAS had the whole sun roof cassette replaced ?.
Somebody has also suggested it is a VW component, but I don't know if that is correct to be honest.
The head lining(s) are held in place, by clips and velcro strips !.
I would not think it would take the dealer too long to drop both of them and then test drive the car to locate the rattle.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom