Knocking noise from the sunroof area!

Found this thread from a Google search after I experienced the same issue with my MG ZS (Petrol not EV). Looks like it is a bit of a design fault then.

Problem started back in May when I noticed a "creaking" coming from the back passenger headspace, although I couldn't quite pin-point it. The noise appeared to worsen over the summer, particularly on warmer days suggesting it is an expansion type issue. I put up with it until the first year's service time in September when I mentioned it ahead of taking it to the dealership. Upon collection they were unable to resolve and insisted I book it back in for a couple of days so they could "strip things down and re-seat the sunroof".

Anyway, that 2nd visit happened this week and I am still no further forward. After having it for 2 days they apparently need MG's approval to touch the sunroof - a little odd considering that was the pre-agreed next step. They say length of time to hear back from MG is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" and I could sense some resentment towards MG's technical channels. I await the call to book in again.

Found this thread from a Google search after I experienced the same issue with my MG ZS (Petrol not EV). Looks like it is a bit of a design fault then.

Problem started back in May when I noticed a "creaking" coming from the back passenger headspace, although I couldn't quite pin-point it. The noise appeared to worsen over the summer, particularly on warmer days suggesting it is an expansion type issue. I put up with it until the first year's service time in September when I mentioned it ahead of taking it to the dealership. Upon collection they were unable to resolve and insisted I book it back in for a couple of days so they could "strip things down and re-seat the sunroof".

Anyway, that 2nd visit happened this week and I am still no further forward. After having it for 2 days they apparently need MG's approval to touch the sunroof - a little odd considering that was the pre-agreed next step. They say length of time to hear back from MG is a bit like "how long is a piece of string" and I could sense some resentment towards MG's technical channels. I await the call to book in again.
Interesting. My dealer have had my car now for 4 weeks ( they've had number of unsuccessful attempts to sort it over more than year). Same story about approval required. They say they want to replace the runners. Still, I'm driving around in their ZS EV courtesy car. We all agree, ithink, that MG are trying to avoid replacing the sunroof. But I'll keep going back until it's fixed. Spoiling my enjoyment of the car though.

6 months on and still no word back from my local MG Dealership on fixing after their first failed attempt.

I haven't chased yet as I noticed over Winter the knocking noise is not noticeable 90% of the time. On occasions I did hear the noise, this always appeared to be on a sunny dry day. Now into the Spring, the knocking is back much, much more. The days I don't notice it are of course those colder wetter days!

This makes me think it's an expansion/contraction or possibly lubrication issue that becomes a problem at "higher" temperatures.

Just wondering if anyone is seeing this with the temperatures picking up or if there have been any success stories of dealerships resolving this so I can maybe point them in the right direction when I chase?

I came to the conclusion that my rattle was caused by excessive flexing of the roof panel. I know that it sounds extreme but if you hold your hand on the roof when driving you can feel it flex quite a lot. When going over undulating road this could be rattling the sunroof. It’s a very large roof too, which doesn’t help rigidity. It is a VW part sunroof I believe.
I used my sunroof a lot and always liked it open when I could, so this might be why some owners don’t experience it as much or at all.
I never got my rattle fixed.

Just read it. I wish I had known when I had my car. I still enjoyed ownership though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom