Knocking noise from the sunroof area!

Yes. I agree. Dealers normally build up a good understanding of common issues on cars and how to fix them. I would hope by now a good dealer would know about sunroof rattles and what needs to be done and that this information is shared with all other dealers. I’m not so sure with MG dealers tbh. The other issue is how much time they get to identify and rectify areas like rattles and water leaks etc - I don’t know but I would guess MG don’t give much support in those areas. I would love to say that I had confidence in the dealer network but I’m afraid that I haven’t, which is a shame and one of the reasons I’ve put off some of the minor issues until service time…

My sunroof creak has been attempted to be fixed on three separate occasions and has spent 10 weeks off the road during those attempts.

The last attempt was 6 weeks after which I was told it had been tested by 5 different managers and technicians and it was definitely fixed. Yet within 10 minutes of driving it the roof was creaking louder than ever. It creaks above the cross member right above the front seats.
I can't have the sunroof open or the cacophony makes me want to drive it into a tree.

I've given up - the MG is being rejected and is gone when my new Kona has been delivered.
All this is on top of the steering wheel knocking, rattling and knocking dash, door pillars rattling and the doors themselves rattling. All of which have "been fixed" but they're just as bad. My car creaks, moans and rattles like a 20 year old car. I have a metal roofed Astra convertible that creaks less than my MG!

Last edited:
You have my sympathies. The general motor trade standard is not great I’ve found - some better than others. MG seem focused on market penetration and pricing but the service follow up is generally very poor. There used to be a saying in the motor trade something like ‘sales sell the first car but good service keeps them as a customer’. MG have a long way to go on the second part.

My sunroof creak has been attempted to be fixed on three separate occasions and has spent 10 weeks off the road during those attempts.

The last attempt was 6 weeks after which I was told it had been tested by 5 different managers and technicians and it was definitely fixed. Yet within 10 minutes of driving it the roof was creaking louder than ever. It creaks above the cross member right above the front seats.
I can't have the sunroof open or the cacophony makes me want to drive it into a tree.

I've given up - the is being rejected and is gone when my new Kona has been delivered.
All this is on top of the steering wheel knocking, rattling and knocking dash, door pillars rattling and the doors themselves rattling. All of which have "been fixed" but they're just as bad. My car creaks, moans and rattles like a 20 year old car. I have a metal roofed Astra convertible that creaks less than my MG!
Very disappointing to see that your experience is the complete opposite to mine, it does make you wonder about how hit and miss a new car experience can be and that not only MG. I remember my brother Vauxhall had a leak in the roof and it wasn’t even a sun roof…had to find the leak and replace all the head lining that was stained…hey at least our MG is bursting in to flames that a real positive….

Very disappointing to see that your experience is the complete opposite to mine, it does make you wonder about how hit and miss a new car experience can be and that not only MG. I remember my brother Vauxhall had a leak in the roof and it wasn’t even a sun roof…had to find the leak and replace all the head lining that was stained…hey at least our MG is bursting in to flames that a real positive….
I'm sure you meant to say... hey at least our MG is NOT bursting in to flames that a real positive ;)

I have had a ZS EV from new March 2020 and the only time I get any noise from the sun roof is when I have it in the tilt position. It then gets a knocking sound. With the sunroof open in any other position either slight or fully open there isn't so much as a peep.
As we don't get that many opportunities to have the sunroof open in this country I don't see any need to have it in the dealers workshop all day. They probably won't be able to fix it anyway judging by the comments on here.

The reason I like having the roof tilted is because if you turn the HVAC off the difference in air pressure pulls fresh air through the air vents in whatever position they were last used in (so long as it's not on recirculate)
It means you can save battery from not using the HVAC but still have a nice breeze without having to resort to opening the windows.
Only I can't beacuse of the cacophony.

I know that it’s not getting to the root cause but having the sun blind closed has quietened my roof noise - it still rattles when open though! It flexes sooo much when on the move..

I think somebody HAS had the whole sun roof cassette replaced ?.
Somebody has also suggested it is a VW component, but I don't know if that is correct to be honest.
The head lining(s) are held in place, by clips and velcro strips !.
I would not think it would take the dealer too long to drop both of them and then test drive the car to locate the rattle.
I'm in a similar position. The roof rattles when the sunroof is closed, then it immediately stops when the roof is open. Then, when it's open, occasionally the glass clearly starts to clonk on something. The dealer has cured that I think, but the rattle persists. Drives me nuts. Spoils the whole car. I'll give the dealer another go but they're probably sick of the sight of me, as there have been a number of problems.

I'm in a similar position. The roof rattles when the sunroof is closed, then it immediately stops when the roof is open. Then, when it's open, occasionally the glass clearly starts to clonk on something. The dealer has cured that I think, but the rattle persists. Drives me nuts. Spoils the whole car. I'll give the dealer another go but they're probably sick of the sight of me, as there have been a number of problems.
Hi
Had my whole roof cassette changed back in April because of knocking see page 2 of this post, but last week a rattle started to happen when the roof was closed but stopped when open, I fully opened the sun roof and found one star screw loose (you can only see when roof fully opened), so I tighten but still rattles, so before contacting the dealers again I sprayed with silicone sprayed all along where the sliding glass rests when fully closed and hey presto rattles gone.
such a easy fix for my.

My experience with a 1 year old ZS with an increasingly noisy ( squeaking/creaking ) sunroof.

With the blind open and pressing upwards on the movable glass panel ( where it meets the fixed glass panel) I could temporarily eliminate the creaking/squeaking.
Dry rubber seal on the glass is the culprit.
Normally a clean up and lube on the seal would be called for but due to the number of reports of loose screws in this area I decided to visit my dealership. ( am in Thailand ).

After a quick test drive the service guy said he would fix it and would take 3 hours . Watching from the lounge I could see they removed both panels, checked, cleaned and greased up the whole unit. Another test drive in complete silence, the guy then told me how to treat this in future . ( has been squeak free for a month now ).
Open roof fully, clean round underneath of open panel near the edge, clean rubber seal and apply a VERY small amount of silicone grease with your finger !! Job done.

Okay, so might sound obvious to some but to those who don’t ……. an easy fix.

A quick shoutout to MG Ayutthaya ( Thailand )for the great service .

Mines not yet fixed. Service Wednesday and they'll have another go. Surprisingly I never thought to actually watch the roof whilst it was rattling!! I'll do that tomorrow in full daylight with wife driving

I fixed my sunroof rattle myself. It was a loud metal on metal clunking noise just behind my head on rough /bumpy roads and it was getting worse over time. If yours is the same then check as follows:

Get in the back seat and with the sunroof glass fully closed then bang hard with your hand all the way around the roof lining (not the glass) near the sunroof to identify the general location. Mine was on the right hand side near the back. Remove the hand grab handle above the door (do both sides if you like). With the handle removed then you can pull the roof lining down a bit as its only held up with Velcro, then, holding down the roof lining a few inches with one hand you can get the fingers of your other hand inside the gap. Down the sides of the sunroof feel back and forth for the heads of the 8mm bolts down each side holding the sunroof in place, from memory there should be 5 or 6 each side. On mine I could feel with my fingers that one of the bolt heads was actually loose, so I got an 8mm ring spanner and managed to get it inside the gap (by feel only as you cant see) and tighten the loose bolt at least 1 full turn. Even if you cant feel it loose then see if you can get the spanner on it to properly check its tight. I checked all the other bolts I could find along the side of the sunroof and tightened them up too. I put it all back together again and went for a drive and it was definitely fixed, no further problems in the last 12 months.
Hope this helps.

I fixed my sunroof rattle myself. It was a loud metal on metal clunking noise just behind my head on rough /bumpy roads and it was getting worse over time. If yours is the same then check as follows:

Get in the back seat and with the sunroof glass fully closed then bang hard with your hand all the way around the roof lining (not the glass) near the sunroof to identify the general location. Mine was on the right hand side near the back. Remove the hand grab handle above the door (do both sides if you like). With the handle removed then you can pull the roof lining down a bit as its only held up with Velcro, then, holding down the roof lining a few inches with one hand you can get the fingers of your other hand inside the gap. Down the sides of the sunroof feel back and forth for the heads of the 8mm bolts down each side holding the sunroof in place, from memory there should be 5 or 6 each side. On mine I could feel with my fingers that one of the bolt heads was actually loose, so I got an 8mm ring spanner and managed to get it inside the gap (by feel only as you cant see) and tighten the loose bolt at least 1 full turn. Even if you cant feel it loose then see if you can get the spanner on it to properly check its tight. I checked all the other bolts I could find along the side of the sunroof and tightened them up too. I put it all back together again and went for a drive and it was definitely fixed, no further problems in the last 12 months.
Hope this helps.
Extremely useful post and fix, glad your all sorted !.
Looks like they need to increase the torque settings on the bolt runner in the factory.

Hope this helps.
video please man !! video !!! The car i only 2000 km and My sunroof is noisy when it was tilted seems that it is chronic on MG ZS cars.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom