L.E.D bonnet light strip MG4

IF I told you that, then another MG4 would have one šŸ¤”.
It took me ages to figure out. Sorry not ready to share yet, no offence intended.
I had to concede & pay an auto electrician. Meaning I am NOT qualified to give advice especially in todayā€™s world .

Why donā€™t you stick on go faster red stripes like the GENERAL LEE haha
You're thinking of the striped tomato (Gran Torino) from Starsky and Hutch.

1706366012185.png

Hello, I have fitted a light strip to my x power which looks great. I want to change it for the one with progressive indicators built in but I am unsure how to access the front bumper indicator wires? And also which is the correct colour wire to clamp onto? Has anyone done this please? Any help appreciated thanks.
Looking to fit this to my mg4 trophy,
Not worried about the indicators just as you have as pic.
What is this item called and where from.

Je cherche Ơ l'adapter Ơ mon trophƩe mg4,
Ne vous inquiƩtez pas des indicateurs comme vous l'avez comme photo.
Comment s'appelle cet article et d'oĆ¹ il vient.

Get yourself a wire probe.
Open bonnet.
Find the wires leading to the Headlight unit.
Put on sidelights.
Probe wires til you find the live.
Splice in, and don't forget to earth.
You will void the warranty on your entire lighting system.
Have fun.

View attachment 23261
Is that just for the single light strip,as I bought one too ,and it just has a red wire and black wire..as I'm not an electrician I have no clue as to where they both go

Is that just for the single light strip,as I bought one too ,and it just has a red wire and black wire..as I'm not an electrician I have no clue as to where they both go
Yes as explained.
If you dont understand my instructions, then you should not attempt to do it yourself.

What has the f89 fuse have to do with the bonnet strip..I have one but don't know how to wire it up,any help please would be appreciated
Jim.
Not having a go m8, but I have explained, in the simplest terms how to do the job.
Why not look at YouTube and find something with people wiring up lights on their vehicles.
Might give you an idea of what's involved.

And don't start practising on your brand new car!

Get some wire, a battery, some bulbs and have a play.

Jim.
Not having a go m8, but I have explained, in the simplest terms how to do the job.
Why not look at YouTube and find something with people wiring up lights on their vehicles.
Might give you an idea of what's involved.

And don't start practising on your brand new car!

Get some wire, a battery, some bulbs and have a play.
Thanks mate..just watched a guy hook up the red wire to one of the fuses that only had power when the car is on,and black wire to his negative on battery..
Would that be a way of doing it?
You seem to be the only one on here that would know lol

Thanks mate..just watched a guy hook up the red wire to one of the fuses that only had power when the car is on,and black wire to his negative on battery..
Would that be a way of doing it?
You seem to be the only one on here that would know lol
Yes, but just many ways of doing the same thing.
Was he working on an MG4?
If so, then you have a head start.

I've been wiring up lights since I was a kid and used to work in a garage so have many years of practice.

My advice still stands.
Get a battery, some wire, bulbs, led strip, (12V) wire strippers et al and have some fun first without blowing a fuse, melting wires or doing serious damage to your car.

Remember. If you damage something, your warranty will not cover you and it might turn out to be VERY costly.

Then there's trying to get it repaired, waiting weeks for spare parts, yada, yada, yada.

Last edited by a moderator:
What has the f89 fuse have to do with the bonnet strip..I have one but don't know how to wire it up,any help please would be appreciated
the F89 fuse is a +acc, this allows you to turn on the LED only when the car starts and turn it off when stopping without adding a switch. If you do not understand this, do not attempt to do it yourself, you could seriously damage your car.

Here is the LED installed and in operation

Any problems with the 2 rubber strips above the headlights?
Je viens de voir que tu est franƧais šŸ˜ƒ [ I just saw that you are French ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello French friend,
I haven't had any problems with the headlight plastics.
It's at the corners of the hood that it's more difficult. You must use good quality tape.
I have to extend the power wire because the fuse is not well under the hood and I'm afraid it will get wet in the rain.
For the length, take 1.80 meters, it is better suited.

Why donā€™t you stick on go faster red stripes like the GENERAL LEE haha
Nah Id look like your profile pic šŸ˜‡

I would love to get this fitted on mine, I don't have the skills to do it myself though.
Just google ā€œauto electrician near meā€ then its done properly šŸ‘. Hopefully this page now shows why I didnt want any blame so stayed out of it. Updated post further down. Took this one off. Trying to work out a multi colour one with indicators in it. Ali express.

Looking to fit this to my mg4 trophy,
Not worried about the indicators just as you have as pic.
What is this item called and where from.
Ali express is where all the nice mg4 bits are. Then google ā€œauto electrician near meā€ & let a professional fit it šŸ‘

What is the strip powered by? What connections have you used?
I took this one off. The live was fuse tapped & the earth is clamped under a wing bolt. Trouble is your fuse box lid wont seal shut (theyre weather proof). Ive since learned the Red can be clamped/spliced to the DRL instead. I have a new one with indicators built in & different colours too. Im removing plastic under tray & under bonnet cover to see if I can access the indicator/ DRL wires. IF I work it out it would be nice to post a video for other members but I dont think we can do that on here?. All the light strips are on Ali express.

I think the scan on start up is unnecessary,
Every time you go under a tree it will be doing its little sequence
? It only scans when you unlock the car. Mine was fuse tapped to start up when I sat on the driver seat. Taken it off now, update post further down.

the F89 fuse in the engine compartment is +ACC
Trouble is once fuse tapped you cant close the fusebox lid as its weather sealed, unless you cut a groove or angle drill the lid. Took mine off. I used a 10 amp that came on when I sat in the driver seat (canā€™t remember the fuse number).

I can understand that. However I didnt get any viable help, I had to pay an auto electrician.
On reflection I posted an update to ā€œtryā€ helping others. Im a complete novice & watched hours of YouTube on fusetaps etc, not even sure yet how to work my wire tester! Not qualified to give advice & didnā€™t want to encourage anyone to potentially damage their car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom