L.E.D bonnet light strip MG4

I took this one off. The live was fuse tapped & the earth is clamped under a wing bolt. Trouble is your fuse box lid wont seal shut (theyre weather proof). Ive since learned the Red can be clamped/spliced to the DRL instead. I have a new one with indicators built in & different colours too. Im removing plastic under tray & under bonnet cover to see if I can access the indicator/ DRL wires. IF I work it out it would be nice to post a video for other members but I dont think we can do that on here?. All the light strips are on Ali express.
Upload to YouTube or similar then post a link here to that video. :)

Trouble is once fuse tapped you cant close the fusebox lid as its weather sealed, unless you cut a groove or angle drill the lid. Took mine off. I used a 10 amp that came on when I sat in the driver seat (can’t remember the fuse number).
I was able to put the fuse in the fuse box and close it.

Here is my assembly, I extended the electrical wire to follow the bodywork and the hood hinge. The fuses are in the box which closes.
1000009363.jpg

Attachments

• 20240215_120708.jpg
    20240215_120708.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 81
  • 20240215_120744.jpg
    20240215_120744.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 83
I like your front luggage insert. Great idea. Does your light bar have indicators built in ?

I don't have the direction indicators, because I don't like them. To connect the indicators there is no adapter: I make modifications which are reversible. I don't want to cut electrical wires or make holes. I made an exception for the towbar hole

I don't have the direction indicators, because I don't like them. To connect the indicators there is no adapter: I make modifications which are reversible. I don't want to cut electrical wires or make holes. I made an exception for the towbar hole
I fitted mine, with the indicators. They worked when the original was unplugged. But they don't work when plugged.

I have a luxury (trophy) they are just indicators.
So you clamped the power wire to the indicator, checking the voltage with indicator flashing to find the correct wire right? Asking as Wife has top spec trophy. Appreciate feedback 👍

I tried the led strip wire directly to the plug, it worked (with an error on the dash) then when I replaced le plug, the original worked ( and the error disappeared) but the led strip indicators didn't.

I am wanting to do the light strip under bonnet on my mg4,
Can anyone say which is the right fuse to connect the red wire too I am confused as so many people connect them different ways,
I was going to connect to one of the main headlight fuses which are 20 amp and then only come on with headlights is this a safe option please help.

Can anyone say which is the right fuse to connect the red wire too I am confused as so many people connect them different ways,
I was going to connect to one of the main headlight fuses which are 20 amp and then only come on with headlights is this a safe option please help.
Fredouille used F89 to trigger the light strip, do not know if he used a relay between or not.

F53 and F72 (Headlights main power suply) is on when lights are off (atleast when hood is open and the car is locked and shut off).
F89 I belive was used because it's only on when car is on (did not bother to check since it works for Fredouille).

You lot tinkering with electrics on the MG4 should be very careful when putting loads on wires you do not have full control over, and really think twice before cutting in to wires to tap power/signal from them. Many of the wires are very thin and have little to no headroom for cutting strands or more power consumption. The wires for highbeam and DRL in the Trophy is only for signal to the relays/electronic in the headlight, not for power take off.
Remember these wires comes from the Body Control Module and to fry that one is very expensive and on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly this has driven me mental. I initially fitted one (light only) & used a fuse tap into either F81 or F74. The lightbar only comes on once you sit in the driver seat. I removed it, looked great but I wanted to come on when unlocked. I now have a new one for each MG4 with indicators & multiple colour options via mobile app. Ive spent time under the bonnet with tester trying to see “IF” I can clamp the headlight for power (fuse tap method made closing fuse box impossible & I wasn’t prepared to cut an exit groove in it). I am still not sure because if you push the power pin gently into the red cable of the headlight the bar comes on, but lock & unlock the car & it doesnt??. Then theres the indicators, ive removed the plastic engine cover but the only indicator access seems to be via the inner wheel arches. Ive given up 🤕. IF I want them working properly & safely I will have to pay someone qualified x 2 cars. It has driven me mad & Ive now lost confidence in doing it myself. Pictured is the original one I fitted, and the updated versions still in the packet. Incidentally I fitted one for my Son on his Corsa (pictured) straight forward! & been on now for 3 months.

Attachments

• IMG_6732.jpeg
    IMG_6732.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7167.jpeg
    IMG_7167.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6755.jpeg
    IMG_6755.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7169.jpeg
    IMG_7169.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7168.jpeg
    IMG_7168.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
It turns on when you get seated.
I didn't use a relay just a fuse bypass (see my message with the photo) but I kept the fuse sold with the LED. I was able to pass the wires outside the fuse box without cutting anything, I only extended the power wire to follow the cover and the hinge and put the fuse sold with the LED in the fuse box.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom