Lack of Power and Speed on Fast Roads

ncdlloyd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I’ve read about half of the 50 or so pages of bowfer’s speed problems and I think we’re experiencing the same thing in an SE SR 23 plate. Typically we don’t take the car on fast roads, it’s mainly used for a daily short commutes on local roads.

I’ve noticed behaviour where power drops off at 55 mph while accelerating. You can feel the car back off at that point and then it will carry on accelerating, but at a much slower rate. Today on a 15 mile motorway trip the car refused to go much over 60. At that speed, fully depressing the accelerator had no impact. Setting the target cruise control to 80 had no impact either.

Temperature today is over 10 degrees, charge was around 60% on the way there and down to around 40% on the way back. Same behaviour on the outbound and return journey, with about a 2 hour break.

Based on the info in bowfer’s thread and another more recent one, the car will be going into the dealership as soon as possible.

I’ll feed back on what the dealer says.

Nick

If you get to the end of the thread you'll find that several people, including @BrownChair and @squirrelz, had the problem cured by some sort of software update. How long have you had the car? Because the fix was available from the end of July.

We got the car at the end of June. It went into the dealer second week of August to look at a dead battery issue we experienced in the first two weeks of owning it. I would have hoped any outstanding updates would have been done then.

I’ve noticed behaviour where power drops off at 55 mph while accelerating. You can feel the car back off at that point and then it will carry on accelerating, but at a much slower rate. Today on a 15 mile motorway trip the car refused to go much over 60. At that speed, fully depressing the accelerator had no impact. Setting the target cruise control to 80 had no impact either.

Something is seriously wrong with your car??, or.... have you set your cruise control to limit its-self to the speed limit (read from the road signs? or are you in Km rather than miles/hr)- useful in Wales around town:oops::oops:

I’m pretty certain it’s not a setting because sometimes it will get there.
In that case take it back - as this is unacceptable - you need to rely on the car pulling out at junction / passing a slower vehicle - the car needs to operate 100% of the time at its capability.

EDIT : Over the past 12 months I've found only one glitch when the car mat got suck in-front of the accelerator, but overall upto 70-90mph+ its all been very linear acceleration way beyond expectations!

Last edited:
If you look at the power meter (bottom right of the screen in front of the driver) do you ever get 100% power? We didn't ever get full power, think it was 70% maximum when first setting off, and then it would reduce a bit, and then you'd just reach a point at between 55 and 75 where it would suddenly back right off to 10-15% power, just enough to maintain the speed you were at, and maybe slowly accelerate if you weren't going uphill.

It was fixed by an update at the dealer (and I really wasn't holding my breath after reading the previous thread), but the car was transformed, and seems to deliver 100% power whenever it's asked for it.

The car finally went into the dealer today. They did a software update, but also identified a fault with the heater motor. The latter has to be ordered from Europe and could be up to ten days. I’ve got the car back in the meantime, still no motorway journeys for us.

I had power loss issue with my se sr when I floored it would only go in 1 mph increments slowly as if it wouldn’t respond.you would turn it off it would go back normal then randomly start again.i took back to dealer they said it was a battery issue had to reflash the BMS system and update the module.they did this which bricked the car the next morning i then never used the car after that day and rejected.so never knew if this resolved this issue but good luck

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back