Lane Keep Assist feature

Yours is an exception ... LKA should default to On (as mine does) because of NCAP rules.
Mmmm - how strange - Its been in for the software update as well (although admittedly it was the 1st one the garage had done back in early Jan) - the only issue since then is that for no reason the car now slams on the brakes for no reason - when I'm in cruise control mode - I think its picking up oncomming cars in the opposite direction. - only done it twice when was using ACC, now using cautiously as the poor bloke behind thought i'd brake checked him -:poop:

Well I’m lost for words, when we picked up the car last Friday after the updates I ask the dealer did we have to turn off LKA every time now and his reply was yes, it has to default to on as part of the NCAP rating so that is what we did the next day a Couple of times when we go back in the car, and then on Monday lunch time my wife come home having been out in the car in the morning and said i didn’t have to turn off the toggle in the screen for LKA this morning it was already off she said !!! So the last too days now I have been using the car and it is off everytime I get in and stays like that unless I leave it set to on, what I’m saying is, it is staying where it been left on or off which ever the case my be what the hell is going on.

I said at #8 here, it seem much better and my god it is very much so up to 35 mph nothing happens, when it’s turned on over that speed if I cross the line in the centre of the road it does everything it should do alarms go off and the steering wheels shakes, that’s with the assist set to alert but if you use alert and assistance the steering wheels pulls you back over, not as strong as it did but it does and I don’t like that at all, what I don’t get is why it as changed you set to off and it stays off, leave it set to on and it stays on, tried it five times today and that’s how it was. I just don’t get it or understand it at all.
But I’m not going to moan about it me and the wife or happy as it is and it can stay like that.
Les

Last edited:
Im interested to see how LKA works when i get my car.

If it is as bad as it seems or if people just are not in the habit of indicating when passing obstructions/ crossing the centre line

The early software versions of LKA were swerving the car without any lane change or passing an obstruction so indicators, or lack off, were not necessarily the main culprit. Hopefully updated software has stopped the lane kill assist feature and you will not have the previous experiences

The early software versions of LKA were swerving the car without any lane change or passing an obstruction so indicators, or lack off, were not necessarily the main culprit. Hopefully updated software has stopped the lane kill assist feature and you will not have the previous experiences
I'll try and find the article but there's a Nissan Ariya that's had an accident that has been attributed to LKA as the driver said the car jerked the wheel out of his hand.

Im interested to see how LKA works when i get my car.

If it is as bad as it seems or if people just are not in the habit of indicating when passing obstructions/ crossing the centre line
I don't indicate if there is nobody around to indicate to.

It also doesn't seem to like that I indicate before moving. It requires you to be constantly indicating during the manoeuvre. For example, when I pass a lorry I will flick the indicator for the three flashes before moving back to the inside lane but LKA will still try to keep me in the middle lane. Either I push the indicator down for the duration of the change or wait until I am almost crossing the line before indicating. In my opinion LKA should be disabled for 2-3 seconds after the indicator is used.

TJA is selected from the MG Pilot menu, options are Off (or None), ACC and TJA. If TJA is selected then a steering wheel image appears near the top of the left side of the driver display (where the car shows and the lane lines). TJA is like a crude version of auto-pilot and is supposed to keep the car in the middle of the lane (as well as incorporating the ACC feature) ... however it is prone to seeing lanes which don't exist, or thinking that the slip road off is the same as the current lane, so it tries to drive down that "lane" and wrenches the wheel. :)
I was driving today, and an oncoming lorry approached and my trophy braked unnessevery, little bit unpredictable, any ideas please

I was driving today, and an oncoming lorry approached and my trophy braked unnessevery, little bit unpredictable, any ideas please

Switch off AEB in the menu
It’s not lane assist doing this, it’s the jittery automatic emergency braking.
The car thinks the lorry is an obstacle you’ve not seen.
I’ve not had the 4 brake for me, I’ve had others car do it, but it is a bit nervous in the 4 and 5 and gives audible/visual warnings very easily.
I’m usually on the verge of braking when it does this anyway, so it relaxes when it senses brake pedal pressure.
It’s basically like my mum beside me
“Watch…watch….WATCHWATCHWAAATCH..oh you’ve seen it..phew”

I'm having a weird issue, possibly related to my R24 infotainment:-

I switch off "Lane Change Assist" at the start of a trip, but it still activates itself when I go over 40mph!
When I pull over to check, it still shows as switched off o_O

... thats what mine does - its not nice!! - but in my case only when ACC is activated - SE verison (and only since i had the update done at the dealer)

I'm having a weird issue, possibly related to my R24 infotainment:-

I switch off "Lane Change Assist" at the start of a trip, but it still activates itself when I go over 40mph!
When I pull over to check, it still shows as switched off o_O
Are you switching it off after you've pressed the brake pedal to get to READY state? If you do it beforehand then it resets once in READY state. (For me the clue is whether or not I get a Confirm dialogue ... if I don't then the car is not in READY state).

Are you switching it off after you've pressed the brake pedal to get to READY state? If you do it beforehand then it resets once in READY state. (For me the clue is whether or not I get a Confirm dialogue ... if I don't then the car is not in READY state).
.... I'm not sure on the above, but there is something strange going on! - for the 1st time in 6 months the lane assist is starting to default to ON when i start the car in the morning - however its not on -or at least not noticeable? - however if i toggle to off and back on then its on! - I'm sure this makes no sense whatso ever 🤔 🤔

It shouldn't be possible to switch the LKA off when the car is not in READY mode. The option isn't even visible then.

It shouldn't be possible to switch the LKA off when the car is not in READY mode. The option isn't even visible then.
It is for me (in my SE SR). I can toggle it to off and it goes off. However as soon as I press brake to go to READY then it turns back on. If I then turn it off I have to press Confirm before it actually goes off.

It is for me (in my SE SR). I can toggle it to off and it goes off. However as soon as I press brake to go to READY then it turns back on. If I then turn it off I have to press Confirm before it actually goes off.
Interesting. In my Luxury/Trophy the LKA option is literally not there until I press the brake pedal.

Hi Eber it might be possible as your are in Germany with your car there could be some software differences I don’t know but to a point mine is the same as Siteguru above our SESR does not have to be in ready mode when I get in carefully being very carefull not to catch the brake pedal when I sit on the seat the car will switch on but not be in ready mode now in the infotainment screen I switch to MG Pilot and everything is available including the LKA on or off depending on where I last left it unlike Siteguru switching LKA on or off I don’t get asked to confirm that but if I want to change tha assis mode then it does ask me to confirm.
If possible can you post a picture show your software type please
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 484 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums