Lane Keep Assist love.....

LKA in R46 seems to work well on motorways etc but is a pain on rural roads where it does need to be turned off.
In ref to blind spot.... Don't you find the blind spot monitor effective?

I honestly think that if you're trusting that someone you haven't seen is going to see your indicator and thus manage to avoid colliding with you, you've got yourself in a bad position.

On a slightly related note, the other day when I was pootling around the lanes marvelling at the capabilities of Android Auto (which I had just acquired with a new phone) I found myself at a nasty angled junction needing to emerge on to a fairly busy main road. I sat there trying to figure out how to see what was coming, and realised that my passenger-side wing mirror was giving me a perfect view of the traffic coming from the blind angle. I'm still not quite sure how these sight-lines worked.

LKA in R46 seems to work well on motorways etc but is a pain on rural roads where it does need to be turned off.
In ref to blind spot.... Don't you find the blind spot monitor effective?
I find the R46 good on motorways - most of the time, but it still occasionally tries to bring me (quite sharply) off at a slip road if I'm fractionally more left than right in the lane, to counteract I find myself keeping a whisker further right and also grabbing wheel slightly tighter at these points, neither is ideal or should be required.
As others have suggested I'm thinking the LKA settings/accuracy/over reacting is controlled from a separate control module and as such the info unit ver R46 is irrelevant to it, bar how and when it is switched on/off, someone might reply if they know this for sure.

Yes I find the blind spot detection indicators on the mirrors quite good, but that's not to say I would fully trust them, especially considering the reliability of other monitoring systems on the MG4, such as LKA and the randomness of of the road graphic on drivers display, sometimes showing vehicles not present, and other times not seeing ones that are.

Just as a comparison to that I got a lift in a Tesla 3 recently and was very impressed with how it faultlessly displayed everything around it, cars pedestrian, traffic lights and even stop signs - albeit much longer established tech and more expensive car, but I think where monitoring systems are installed they should work reliably, if a manufacturer wants/needs to cut corners to save money just don't install them, it's disingenuous/bloody annoying.

I honestly think that if you're trusting that someone you haven't seen is going to see your indicator and thus manage to avoid colliding with you, you've got yourself in a bad position.
Sorry but I think you've totally missed my point, indicating when the road appears empty in no way should be considered an alternative to fully monitoring your surrounding, it's an EXTRA 'belt and braces' approach for the one in a thousand time you may not have seen someone, be that from a blindspot or a foolhardy biker who has come from behind way too fast.(I'm not condoning it)
And just to be clear, the indicator is for them not you, as you already 'believe' the road to be empty, they're going to be the one avoiding the collision
I'm still not quite sure how these sight-lines worked
I think you've just reinforced my point

That second part was an entirely separate observations. OF COURSE I was indicating in that situation. I was merely commenting with surprise on how well the wing mirror allowed me to see the oncoming traffic at a nasty angled junction.

On the first point, I think I can tell, on a very empty motorway, whether a motorcycle has suddenly manifested from an interdimensional hole.

Bear in mind I am mostly talking about motorways at very quiet times, or deserted country roads. If there are other people around I generally signal automatically.

That second part was an entirely separate observations. OF COURSE I was indicating in that situation. I was merely commenting with surprise on how well the wing mirror allowed me to see the oncoming traffic at a nasty angled junction.

On the first point, I think I can tell, on a very empty motorway, whether a motorcycle has suddenly manifested from an interdimensional hole.
As long as you think you are right then I'm happy with that.....

Keep turning LKA off...it's just for us mortals...šŸ˜‰
Bear in mind I am mostly talking about motorways at very quiet times, or deserted country roads. If there are other people around I generally signal automatically.
#backtracking

Not backtracking at all ... making the decision whether or not to use indication is very much situation-dependant. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! šŸ™„

Now letā€™s discuss whether you pay attention to red lights in the middle of the nightā€¦.

run away go go go GIF

Not backtracking at all ... making the decision whether or not to use indication is very much situation-dependant. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! šŸ™„
#backtrackingā€¦..

The whole point of this rabbit hole we visited was to stop LKA from activating by indicating and somehow some Luddites turned it into ā€œwhen I were a ladā€ trip into the past

The answer to me is simple . If like me you don't want any interference with steering the car then you turn it off. If you want interference with steering the car then you leave it on.
I wish it could just be turned off with the switch, instead of having to confirm "yes *** I DO want the LKA off". Nothing else needs confirmation, you'd think you were jetisoning the main battery pack or something.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back