Lane Keep Assist love.....

Have you ever driven with LKA on and the car suddenly veers into a bus lane? Or the LKA keeps turning on and off because the markings on the road are bad?
You been in my Kia Niro? 😂

My tolerance is low. If there is nobody to indicate to then you shouldn't be indicating. If the road is clear and moving over the line gives you a better view ahead then you should be doing it. If there is a car broken down on the side of the road then it is safer to move over the line to give it more space.

Until it recognises these scenarios then it is staying off.
Can it be turned off via mgi smart and/or can it be programmed onto steering wheel button do you know? Asking for a MG4 SE SR EV 73 Plate?

My Luxury/Trophy 22 R30 LKA is not awful, because it's remembering to keep on low Alert sensitivity, stil it tries to kill me on a daily basis.
How you ask? By reading cracks in the tarmac as lines and hurl me towards the oncoming traffic, it could also be worn down roadmarkings, end of tarmac and so on, the list is long.

It's not that bad I guess one could say as the car seldom get to go more than half a meter- 2 feet ish, but at 60 to 80kmt (look it up your self lazy) on roads one passes a lory/bus by less than a fot clearing, 2 feet suddenly and unexpected weering in to oncoming traffic is potensialy a very bad day in the making.

Therefore my take is to keep it on but reduse it to warning only (that stays of until my bum lifts from the seat) and of with the beep (turns it self on when the screen changes from dark to light) before every trip.

Those of us what were properly taught use our mirrors then signal if appropriate. Signalling to an empty road is pointless.
Unless someone is in your blind spot and you think the road is empty but it’s not. This scenario I have seen once with a motor bike on my rear left quarter, just in a blind spot, undertaking!

1693579181089.png

Unless someone is in your blind spot and you think the road is empty but it’s not. This scenario I have seen once with a motor bike on my rear left quarter, just in a blind spot, undertaking!

It just appeared from nowhere, did it? And this bike, that you somehow failed to realise was in your vicinity, would have been helped by you signalling?

Yeah, groundhog day. Some people don't seem to have the same definition of "empty road" as others.

It just appeared from nowhere, did it? And this bike, that you somehow failed to realise was in your vicinity, would have been helped by you signalling?

Yeah, groundhog day. Some people don't seem to have the same definition of "empty road" as others.
I never use my mirrors unless someone is there.......

It's pointless 😏

Basically, my LKA goes off before I start to drive, unless I'm not leaving the village which is a 20 mph zone. And if (rarely) I forget, it goes off the moment I realise, while I'm still in control and before it tries to do anything outrageous.

If I ever find myself driving so tired I'm actually dangerous, I might switch it on as a last-ditch defence mechanism until I can get off the road. That's it.

Can it be turned off via mgi smart and/or can it be programmed onto steering wheel button do you know? Asking for a MG4 SE SR EV 73 Plate?
No. You can only turn it off by using the centre screen after pressing the brake pedal to put the car into ready.

No. You can only turn it off by using the centre screen after pressing the brake pedal to put the car into ready.
Ok thanks and then it goes back on every time you turn off. Yeh the Niros the same but they have a button rhs. Ok thanks v much 👍
I’m just stalking atm
When I’ve actually got my car I’ll introduce myself properly and go from there. Cheers 👍

And this bike, that you somehow failed to realise was in your vicinity, would have been helped by you signalling?
I'm surprised it has to be explained, but obviously YES, if car is turning left or moving into left lane into the path of the bike (oblivious of its presence), then the potential for a collision and serious injury to the biker is very high, but if he sees the left indicator he has opportunity to take evasive action.

Note the rights or wrongs of the biker undertaking are for a different debate - unless car driver is so self righteous to state 'serves you right' after wiping him out.
On related sentiment it's disappointing the often heard attitude of some 4 wheel drivers of 'but I was in the right' whereas a common biker saying is 'no point being right when your dead!'

You seem to think I don't ride a bike. I've done the Tricia MacMillan manoeuvre on a pedal cycle in evening dress. Among other things. I've been knocked off said bike outside Euston station by a car driver who didn't look where he was going. I've got wellingtons Sherlock Holmes could diagnose had ridden a bike more than they walked.

It's disappointing to realise there are drivers who aren't so conscious of what else is on the road all the time that they would either be unaware of a vehicle that might have moved into their blind spot, or be less than certain what might be in that spot before they make a move.

I've a couple of questions for all those expert drivers out there who thinks that it's too much extra effort to use their little pinkie to flick the indicator stalk -
1. Can you honestly say, hand on heart in all your years driving you've never had the 'where the heck did he come from' experience, even if only once?
2. Do you know how many accident follow up discussions contain the phrase - I just didn't see him
3. And the potential positive of always indicating (crash avoidance) v's WHAT negative??

You seem to think I don't ride a bike. I've done the Tricia MacMillan manoeuvre on a pedal cycle in evening dress. Among other things. I've been knocked off said bike outside Euston station by a car driver who didn't look where he was going. I've got wellingtons Sherlock Holmes could diagnose had ridden a bike more than they walked
Never assumed either way, but having two wheeled experience should only have made you more aware of drivers not seeing you, it's basic logic that the smaller size of a bike is easier not to see, worsened by the vulnerability of no 'steel cage' protection
It's disappointing to realise there are drivers who aren't so conscious of what else is on the road all the time that they would either be unaware of a vehicle that might have moved into their blind spot, or be less than certain what might be in that spot before they make a move.
And yet we all know they exist, and I'll wager many of them think they're such good drivers they see everything around them - until they don't!
But if they'd used an indicator, perhaps they'd give the other road user a fighting chance.

I don’t know if people are driving on different software updates. Seems like some people are more annoyed than others
It's not annoying, it's damn dangerous. Mine tries to pull me into a different lane everytime I drive on the North Circular or M25. I cant work out when it happens, but it seems to do it even when the lanes are well marked.

I've a couple of questions for all those expert drivers out there who thinks that it's too much extra effort to use their little pinkie to flick the indicator stalk -
1. Can you honestly say, hand on heart in all your years driving you've never had the 'where the heck did he come from' experience, even if only once?
Happened to me early in my driving career with a motorbike, I could not see it and not hear it, then I attempted a manoeuvre and had a very angry motorcyclist appear from out of my blindspot. I could have easily hit him.

This is what made me eliminate my blindspot through moving around in my seat, looking over my shoulder, correctly adjusting my mirrors and constantly monitoring and focusing on my driving (never have loud music on ever since).

Have also had two close family friends killed by motorbike accidents, so I am extremely conscious of the vulnerability of other road users.
2. Do you know how many accident follow up discussions contain the phrase - I just didn't see him
Exactly. This is solved by hyper-vigilance, nothing else. In 30 years since I can honestly say I have never had a case of not seeing someone / being surprised.

You can eliminate your blindspots completely, but it takes a specific mindset and anything that gives you a false picture (eg I glanced at my mirrors / used a signal) is a barrier to that mindset.
3. And the potential positive of always indicating (crash avoidance) v's WHAT negative??
Indicating isn't a solution, it is part of the problem. I had learned to always indicate, and it had given me a false sense of security that indicating made it ok if I had not seen someone. The complacency of feeling safe if you always stick on a signal was what was wrong with my driving.

So, now I am aware of everything around me and when I signal I have certainty that I know precisely who I am indicating for.

You have this completely and utterly wrong.

@tsedge and others.

Yeah I was hyper-vigilant in my 20s, then got an ilness and my hyper "bs" was gone and as I was not capable to do the "bs" hours and hours anymore = voluntary no more bus and big lorries driving for me (stil licenced). Then redused to a normal driver capacity and further on below that (surviving on a massive amount of experience) I came to realise that every little thing I can do to make others around me understand what I'm about to do is a very very intelligent thing to do.
No ifs or buts, are you capable to move your neck to check your suroundings properly good on you thats fine, just remember that that's better than at least half of the people you are encountering while in traffic of any kind.

So as a former one of your clan, could you and the rest of the I see everything around me all the time lot please keep quiet and understand that your superiority does not give you the right to push your way of doing things on to people without those skils you lot are born with.

Beside this this is of topick and it's very frustrating to read bs like this when al I wanted was to read and coment on the LKA. Please open your own topic about your of topick opinion if it's that important to air.

oh, a bit on topick. My LKA sometimes react crossing lines and sometimes not (when not signaling), unpredictable it is as Yoda would say.😉

Last edited:
I won't keep quiet when it is as important as this. If you can't physically do it, fair enough, I did say that earlier in the conversation. Most people can.

I am responding to very heavily pushed views to the contrary. You are free to express your view as you have done.

No need to tell anyone to shut up, this is a public forum, you don't want to hear someone, that's what Ignore mode is for.

No, as I said, there were more than one, so the plural :-

Most of them just let you turn it off for that drive, some with a button, some hidden int eh menus. The MG5 lets you turn it off 'permanently'. Whether that will still be the case after the next software update, I have no way of knowing.
I got used to the LKA on the Merc 250e which used regen breaking on the LH wheels to correct to the left and on the RH wheels to correct to the right. The MG4 seems gentle in comparison, so, I have it on all the time and like the way it corrects momentary lapses of concentration. My main gripe is that there seem to be too many occasions where it doesn’t detect what seem to be well marked lane lines.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back