Lane Keep Assist love.....

Another angle I read somewhere on LKA implementation on most modern cars is, as we all know several car manufacturers are chasing the 'Holy Grail' of fully self driving vehicles, investing copious amounts of time and money on their R&D depts, and before they'll get remotely close to that point (excluding Tesla) a 100% reliable LKA system is a foundation block on that journey.
Also why i suspect regardless of NCAP5 rating, manufacturers may secretly be quiet happy with the 'default to on' functionality.

Note; I've no idea whether MG has any aspirations in the FSD arena.

Another angle I read somewhere on LKA implementation on most modern cars is, as we all know several car manufacturers are chasing the 'Holy Grail' of fully self driving vehicles, investing copious amounts of time and money on their R&D depts, and before they'll get remotely close to that point (excluding Tesla) a 100% reliable LKA system is a foundation block on that journey.
Also why i suspect regardless of NCAP5 rating, manufacturers may secretly be quiet happy with the 'default to on' functionality.

Now that is a really terrifying prospect......

I think most manufacturers outsource safety systems to third parties, so they just buy it in and integrate it with their cars. The MG4's system is not unique to MG but the implementation seems poor.

On the NCAP side their vision plans for 2030 indicate that they want better safety systems so that they can be always-on (no option to disable) and this includes a focus on speed-limiting, lane control, driver impairment (breathalysers) and other systems that are intended to make the roads safer.

They do recognise that a weakness of the current NCAP testing is that it does not test the effectiveness of these systems properly and they also say they want driver acceptance of further changes, whatever that means.

I think most manufacturers outsource safety systems to third parties, so they just buy it in and integrate it with their cars. The MG4's system is not unique to MG but the implementation seems poor.

On the NCAP side their vision plans for 2030 indicate that they want better safety systems so that they can be always-on (no option to disable) and this includes a focus on speed-limiting, lane control, driver impairment (breathalysers) and other systems that are intended to make the roads safer.

They do recognise that a weakness of the current NCAP testing is that it does not test the effectiveness of these systems properly and they also say they want driver acceptance of further changes, whatever that means.
Are NCAP sponsored by Elon Musk and his desire for self driving cars because by removing all the skill and fun of driving there is no point of being in control.

I think I would be more likely to use LKA if I could still indicate to change lanes using the 3 flashes you get when momentarily pressing the stalk. Currently, even if I indicate and then start to move between the second and third flash, it still activates the LKA. There should be a few seconds grace period after the indicator stops before reengaging.
FWIW, the 3-flash indication works fine in my SE SR to halt LKA during lane changes. 🤷‍♂️

Every car fitted with LKA allows you to turn it off completely, they just differ as to how (screen or button).
When shopping for our next car, for my wife, a criteria will be a physical button or the ability to select off as a permanent thing via OBD11.
I had my mg 4 trophy last October I could turn lka off and it would keep of 6 months later car went in for software update now I have to turn it off every time I get into the car.told mg dealership about it they tried to turn it off so it keep off they said they couldn't as its all to do with 5 star rating for the mg4.

FWIW, the 3-flash indication works fine in my SE SR to halt LKA during lane changes. 🤷‍♂️
But does it still halt it if the indicator has stopped before the moment that you cross the line? Mine doesn't.

I tend to use the indicator as a signal of intent to move rather than I am moving now. Once I've started to move there is no need to continue indicating as people can see I'm moving. However, if I'm moving into say lane 2 from lane 3 and there is somebody in lane 1 I will put the indicator on the whole time to increase visibility but for regular lane changes it's enough to indicate then move. LKA seems to disagree.

I can't say I've encountered that, but I've not tried to check for that. If I can't change lane before the 3rd blink then I haven't determined that it is safe to change lanes in the first place.🤷‍♂️

Are NCAP sponsored by Elon Musk and his desire for self driving cars because by removing all the skill and fun of driving there is no point of being in control.
Heh, you might think so!

But I suspect it is just a creeping safety culture and given how badly some people drive, it is hard to argue against it.

If only standards were higher and people were regularly retested and had to undertake further training if they fell below, but this will never happen as there are no votes in it.

I can't say I've encountered that, but I've not tried to check for that. If I can't change lane before the 3rd blink then I haven't determined that it is safe to change lanes in the first place.🤷‍♂️
It's about giving warning. I first determine that the lane is free, then indicate whilst subconsciously counting on my head for 2 or 3 seconds to give people time to see it, then start to move. Often the indicator has finished before I've crossed the line so LKA tries to push me back into the lane. It should give me another 3-4 seconds to complete the maneuver.

I had my mg 4 trophy last October I could turn lka off and it would keep of 6 months later car went in for software update now I have to turn it off every time I get into the car.told mg dealership about it they tried to turn it off so it keep off they said they couldn't as its all to do with 5 star rating for the mg4.

I said all cars allow you to switch it off.
I didn’t say permanently.

I find the beeping you get with LKA more annoying than the steering correction, so yesterday I tried switching it off and using the TJA mode. This is certainly quieter and I’m beginning to think TJA keeps to the middle of the lane better than LKA. Anyone else tried this?

I agree, once you get up to any sort of speed, TJA is very nervous - with the gain dialled down as the speed increases it would be much better.

Having just set up an auto-tiller on a fast cruiser, getting the gain at the right level is essential.

My LKA doesn't come on when i start the car if my ACC is on standby . i.e illuminated on the screen (in white) but no speed selected.

My LKA doesn't come on when i start the car if my ACC is on standby . i.e illuminated on the screen (in white) but no speed selected.
What exactly do you mean by this? The LKA symbol is Yellow?

(LKA doesn't activate until you reach 37mph (60kph).

What I mean exactly is this .If I haven't left the cruise control on when I shut down the car
the lane assist blue slider switch is illuminated when I start the car next time .(as long as a fair period of time has elapsed)
If I have left the cruise in the on position then the blue slider switch is not illuminated.

So, for 2 days I lost the "steering wheel" symbol and LKA.....!

Now its back 😠 Is MG doing some weird over the air updates of is it Rusty's time of the month 🤔

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back