Lane Keeping forcing lane change

I find LKA to generally be OK now - whilst I do usually turn it off, if I forget then it's not an issue.

TJA on the other hand is way more intrusive, and much more likely to haul the car into trouble. (e.g. when overtaking a lorry TJA will sometimes try and turn into the lorry. Also when approaching an off slip, if I'm in the left lane and TJA has "hooked" onto the left lane marker, then it'll try to take me down the off slip even if I'm wanting to go straight on).

Someone on Facebook with overaggressive LKA and phantom braking took their car back to the dealer who after communicating with MG over a couple of days were told to recalibrate the camera and RADAR. Problem fixed. The LKA just gives mild nudges when it gets near the white line and no more phantom braking.

A couple of times now, when driving down the motorway, the car suddenly tries to veer into the next lane. As if it suddenly thinks I am straddling a line. Luckily it only just starts crossing the line into the next lane before it gives up. This allows me to correct before I hit anyone. But still. This is dangerous.

Has anyone else seen this?
Yep had it twice in my 2 weeks of MG4 ownership

I had no issues on an hour TD from Gridserve Braintree in their Trophy and this was to Stansted Airport on dual-carriageway & motorway and around the area. From memory (as I haven't had my Trophy delivered yet) wasn't there 3 options appearing once you'd turned LKA on - Alert/Land Departure Assist/Emergency Lane Keeping???

I find LKA to generally be OK now - whilst I do usually turn it off, if I forget then it's not an issue.

TJA on the other hand is way more intrusive, and much more likely to haul the car into trouble. (e.g. when overtaking a lorry TJA will sometimes try and turn into the lorry. Also when approaching an off slip, if I'm in the left lane and TJA has "hooked" onto the left lane marker, then it'll try to take me down the off slip even if I'm wanting to go straight on).
Mine does exactly the same on motorways tries to drive into lorries when TJA active. Is this a software issue or do I need recalibration of the sensors anyone know?

I'm a bit hazy about what "TJA" is supposed to do. I thought it was meant to follow the car in front at slow speeds in an actual traffic jam. Is it even supposed to be turned on on a motorway where speeds are high?

Mine does exactly the same on motorways tries to drive into lorries when TJA active. Is this a software issue or do I need recalibration of the sensors anyone know?
TJA is traffic jam assist. It follows the car in front when queuing in slow moving traffic. It's not a substitute for ACC which is active cruise control.

TJA is traffic jam assist. It follows the car in front when queuing in slow moving traffic. It's not a substitute for ACC which is active cruise control.

Bjorn Nyland seemed to be using TJA on the open road in his trip to the arctic circle in the Trophy. I wasn't quite sure what he was plating at there.

TJA does more than "follow the car in front" (ACC does that) - it also steers the car and (supposedly) tries to keep it centred in the lane. By its very name it is intended to be used in low speed traffic, but it also works at higher speeds and acts as a poor man's Auto Pilot.

Therein lies the conundrum ;)

I don't like it, as it has some weird tendencies (at least for me), so I don't use it unless I'm doing a test. ACC though I use quite a lot.

I've never actually tried it, and I think I'll go right on not trying it. Maybe in a real traffic jam like a motorway where there's an accident in front and everyone is crawling along, but the more I try the ACC the more I think I prefer to drive the car myself.

Look at it another way ACC is for speeds above 20mph as it won't engage below that and TJA is for speeds under 20mph. The conundrum is what do you use at 20mph 🤔

I use ACC for the village streets where there is a 20 mph limit. Usually works. The last couple of times though it has taken its own sweet time to get down to 20 even though the system was showing as active.

I have an mg 5 as well TJA is like Tesla basic self driving it will keep in lane up to about 85mph it doesn’t need to follow a car it can see the line markings and steer on the mg 4 it seems to have a major bug never had issue with mg 5. It’s not only for traffic jams…..

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 494 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back