• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

LED bulb upgrades for SE & Trophy.

Pebble

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Nice to see LED headlights and DRLs on the facelift but that's about the sum total of LEDs - come on MG, you can do better!

So before anyone asks "why do want to change the halogen bulbs to LED?", I'll give my opinion - LEDs are sharper, faster reacting on the brake lights and indicators and generally consume less energy/run cooler. Oh, and a more "modern" appearance in use.

So unless anyone has been down the same route, maybe on the pre facelift, I'll go ahead with the "project" in the near future. Any input will be gladly appreciated. Have done several cars before, so am aware of some of the pitfalls of LEDs, eg. hyperfalshing, errors etc..

BTW, interior bul;bs have already been changed to LED. At least now I can see things in the car - the dim halogen ones were awful.

I've just upgraded the interior bulbs to LED because the standard ones are useless. It was a bit tight fitting the new bulbs but the difference is massive. I'd like to fit lights in the front and rear footwells and glove box as I've had them in the past few cars I've owned but would need to get them done professionally as I'd want them properly integrated.

I'd be interested to see what the indicators and break lights look like once you've upgraded.

James Coates (aka James and Kate, Cleveley etc) has done this on some bulbs (the W5W wedge) on both his pre-facelift and facelift MG5. I'm not sure that he has done brake lights etc, but why not ask him?

The rear lights on the pre-facelift are LED. I have changed the interior courtesy bulbs to LED.

Is that all of the rear lights including brake and reverse as well as position? The manual implies not.

Is that all of the rear lights including brake and reverse as well as position? The manual implies not.
No just the rear lights, not the stop or indicator or reversing.

edit, just remembered I upgraded the reversing lights to LED, a vast improvement. Uses the same bulb as the interior courtesy.

Last edited:
Having read the owner's manual, I'm not convinced of the type/fitment of the bulbs mentioned for front & rear indicators, brake and reversing lights. Going to pull them out one at a time and see excatly what fitrment they are.

Having read the owner's manual, I'm not convinced of the type/fitment of the bulbs mentioned for front & rear indicators, brake and reversing lights. Going to pull them out one at a time and see excatly what fitrment they are.
Why are you not convinced ? Have you got the correct manual for the facelift ?

For example, the manuals in both the car infotainment and on the MG website show the rear interior bulbs as festoon but they're wedge type. The manuals talk about halogen headlights with a caveat that LED headlights may be fitted. So much for the manuals being specific to the Facelift.

Moving on, I've had all of the bulbs out to confirm type and fitment:

Front indicators - W21W Amber
Rear Indicators - W16W Amber
Brake lights - W21W Red

FWIW on the FL, the light cluster on the tailgate that contains the reverse lamp (only one on the n/s) and the red foglight (only one o/s) are OEM LED in a sealed unit. This cluster also contains the LED side lights. I was hoping the reverse lamp was halogen and MG hadn't bothered to fit one to the o/s but not the case. I appreciate these days that reversing lights aren't there to help you see going backwards, more of a "marker" light to let others know you're reversing but to me, the more light you have can only be a positive. Looking into a slim marker/grill light that could be fitted onto the black plastic bar under the reg. plate. Something like this: ALS F4 GRILL LIGHT/SURFACE MOUNT

I've used Auto Bulbs Direct (ABD) in the past on many cars and trust their own branded products, the 20/20 range. So here's what on order for brake and indicators:

16W amber LED indicators aren't available in the 20/20 range, so going to fit the 21W version. From experiance, if they're deemed to be too bright to anyone behind me, I know of a way to reduce their intensity.

The project continues and will post pics and video when fitted (y)

I like a bit of tinkering but what is the ambition here? It can't be to save electricity...?

I like a bit of tinkering but what is the ambition here? It can't be to save electricity...?
Just my opinion on LEDs - they have a " sharper/crisper" look, faster reacting on the brake lights and indicators . Oh, and a more "modern" appearance in use ;)

I today have fitted LEDs to my MG5 Trophy some pictures here below I appear to have lost the one of the rear seating before I changed them but it was pretty dismal to say the least.

Front before bulb change

22BE2457-812F-4973-A161-0324A32AC184.jpeg

And after both front and rear with LEDs

0A0605D3-84B7-4409-BDD4-EC2A5C26B0A0.jpeg

Rear

7EE0DE52-6E60-4726-9C58-5274D3803581.jpeg

I also have done the same on the wife’s MG4 and them pictures are in the MG4 section so take a look
The MG4 is easy to do but on the 5 I found it easier to remove the front light fitting to change the bulbs
Les

4AC43C9F-C1AC-48C6-814C-9B816A03E6F0.jpeg

5A1C7331-CA23-481C-8DFB-92E94921284B.jpeg

4934B0E9-3157-43D8-B33F-E110BD3DBA7F.jpeg

Last edited:
I today have fitted LEDs to my MG5 Trophy some pictures here below I appear to have lost the one of the rear seating before I changed them but it was pretty dismal to say the least.

Front before bulb change

View attachment 16540

And after both front and rear with LEDs

View attachment 16541

Rear

View attachment 16542
I also have done the same on the wife’s MG4 and them pictures are in the MG4 section so take a look
The MG4 is easy to do but on the 5 I found it easier to remove the front light fitting to change the bulbs
Les

View attachment 16543

View attachment 16544

View attachment 16545
That's a great improvement Les, what lamps did you replace them with in the MG5?

I was thinking about this non-led bulbs is too prehistoric on such a new car. Is there any progress about the led indicators and brake lights?

I know for some lights you're not allowed to change them to LED, but Is that just the headlights?

I was thinking about this non-led bulbs is too prehistoric on such a new car. Is there any progress about the led indicators and brake lights?
I know for some lights you're not allowed to change them to LED, but Is that just the headlights?
Might be worth watching this video is about the MG ZS but the same my well apply to any vehicle because the lights where never designed to have led bulbs in them but it’s up to up if you want to try but this give you the reasons and might save you the expense.
Les

I'd probably only bother to do it on mine if I needed to change a bulb anyway, couldn't tell much of a difference between the LED and non LED bulb as long as it's the right colour and not worse for dazzeling the car behind and is legal I don't really see much of a reason not to swap them if you've got a blown bulb.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom