LED bulbs for MG ZS EV headlights

It quite tricky as there are 2 tabs you need to pry before you can pull the connector apart. Managed to break one of the tabs but was PITA. I previously said that i will post a photo of it fitted but realised you cannot see the led bulbs from the outside once you they are fitted. :ROFLMAO: At least they are not identifiable as LED after fitting.
I haven’t got as far as the tabs - which I was intending to take off after the bulb/cable assembly is removed from the housing. It was the removal from the housing which I struggled with - just couldn’t apply enough twist

I haven’t got as far as the tabs - which I was intending to take off after the bulb/cable assembly is removed from the housing. It was the removal from the housing which I struggled with - just couldn’t apply enough twist
The handbook says one should twist them anticlockwise. I warmed it up with a hair dryer before removing them, only to discover that they are rubber and simply pull off.

It quite tricky as there are 2 tabs you need to pry before you can pull the connector apart. Managed to break one of the tabs but was PITA. I previously said that i will post a photo of it fitted but realised you cannot see the led bulbs from the outside once you they are fitted. :ROFLMAO: At least they are not identifiable as LED after fitting.
I thought you wouldn't be able to see them but if you shine a torch into the projector lens you can see yellow, which I assume is the actual LED bit as there's nothing else yellow in there.
Which also means we'll have to change them back for the MOT 😞
I would be interested to know if someone who still has halogens in can see the filament ?

I thought you wouldn't be able to see them but if you shine a torch into the projector lens you can see yellow, which I assume is the actual LED bit as there's nothing else yellow in there.
Which also means we'll have to change them back for the MOT 😞
I would be interested to know if someone who still has halogens in can see the filament ?
I doubt they would even look unless the beam pattern was an issue, and with projector headlights you don't get the beam issues or glare.

Just been notified about this new YouTube video.
Here is somebody who has just done a quick review, that some folks may find interesting.
He brushes on the issue of using LED lamps and the new MOT requirements, and why he stayed with improved halogen lamps.
Useful for anybody who is looking for an improvement to the headlights without risking an MOT violations ?.
Not as powerful as the LED's of course, but a big improvement over the OEM lamps.
Some interesting comments below the video as well.

Planning to try to change my headlights tomorrow, from all those who learnt from experienced, how is the clip removed without snapping it?

I didn't have problems with mine, so if you're careful then you might do it without breaking them!

Planning to try to change my headlights tomorrow, from all those who learnt from experienced, how is the clip removed without snapping it?
Use a butter knife to prise both parts of the clip away from the plug simultenously - reduces the temptation that a screwdriver gives you to pry too hard.

I did mine in the Summer when they were warmer and more pliable, I just wiggled them off.

Have a look at the HYPER ARROS from PIAA (HB3) I tried the Osrams and was not that impressed. I then tried the PIAA and they do a a much better job and were also a lot cheaper. Expensive "Trial and Error";)

Have a look at the HYPER ARROS from PIAA (HB3) I tried the Osrams and was not that impressed. I then tried the PIAA and they do a a much better job and were also a lot cheaper. Expensive "Trial and Error";)
What didn’t you like about the Osram bulbs? Was it the night breakers that you tried?

Yes it was the Night Breaker Laser I tried first. Apart from being much cheaper, I found the PIAA to be brighter and more white. The Kelvin rating for the PIAA is 3900K while the Osrams are 3200K What I have read is that bulbs with an output of 3500K or lower on the scale will have an amber hue. Which is the reason I feel the PIAA are more white.. The PIAA also were listed with a longer life approx. 25% more compared to the Osrams.

Thanks for the link Mark, have ordered those today.

I have been studying various brands out there since September when I bought my car.

So much confusion out there as to which bulbs are the best, some with heat sinks built in and like these, some with small fans to keep the led's cool.

I know its a cost saving exercise on the ZS EV, but I have to say it looks so odd to have daylight running/sidelights in 6500k "White" colouring and the headlamps Tungsten. Hopefully these will bring are more nearer match along with the better lighting benefits these can offer.
Hi are you still using the led bulbs and are they much better

Hi are you still using the led bulbs and are they much better
I'm still using my LED's and have benefitted from the increased light, at least 3 times over the last month! Unexpected trips out, through the countryside, and I am so glad I changed over!

I fully understand about it failing the MOT but I've got nearly 3 years until its required! ;)

Cheers

Bloggsy

Guys, are these the right ones for our car?
Amazon product ASIN B08RDM8KGW
They're only £20 (on a 50% coupon off for some reason)

They are 12,000 lumens (6,000 each).
Most of you seem to have the 9,000 lumen (4,500 each) version, which is why I'm a bit dubious about them.

thanks

HB3 is the correct fitting. I personally wouldn't fit anything other than Koyoso bulbs as they're amazing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom