LED bulbs for MG ZS EV headlights

No, they make 20,000 lumen bulbs which is what quite a few people have on here. Unfortunately their popularity means they sell out quickly and I've just checked and they're not available at the moment.

However, I have these exact same Koyoso 12,000 lumen bulbs in HB3 on my other car and they're really bright. Koyoso are really well built and I've used them for a couple of years on different cars and never had an issue.

Hi Jody - I've fitted these to the wife's car and I'm really happy with them.

Plug and play with no alterations required. Just twist to ensure you set the beam pattern correctly - there's quite a detectable 'line' you can ensure its not too high and blinding oncoming traffic but I'd recommend them.

Also, look on Youtube for fitting instructions - they come with an adapter thing that you can use to help you guide in the bulb. However, you can use the power cord to gauge where the bulb is - I make sure the cord is facing down (as if dangling) but I did need to twist it very slightly to get a perfect low beam pattern.

Cheers

Bloggsy

I ended up buying these ones, will fit them later ready for our first looong journey to the seaside tomorrow. They come with a nice pair of white cotton gloves to wear whilst fitting them lol.
Getting the range anxiety slowly increasing in anticipation of looking for a working charger! There is pretty much none over Norfolk way.

I ended up buying these ones, will fit them later ready for our first looong journey to the seaside tomorrow. They come with a nice pair of white cotton gloves to wear whilst fitting them lol.
Getting the range anxiety slowly increasing in anticipation of looking for a working charger! There is pretty much none over Norfolk way.
We are going to near Hunstanton in a couple of months and I did check availability. Thankfully there are a few rapids and and some 7kW around but they did look a bit sparse throughout the county.

We are going to near Hunstanton in a couple of months and I did check availability. Thankfully there are a few rapids and and some 7kW around but they did look a bit sparse throughout the county.
Just don't trust the rapid in Hunstanton to work! I tried it several times a couple of weeks ago, and if you read comments on Zap Map, the "started charging and stopped after 5 minutes" really are true!! It was giving random errors too!!

There's a charging place at Necton PE37 8DQ {Swaffham) on the A47. 8 rapids and 16 connectors!
Check on Zapmap.
Great spot thanks, Instavolt too, shame they are having to put their prices up but hey ho as they say, don't mind paying for reliability

I did the koyoso 20000lm upgrade, works fine on the ZS EV, I ordered them on Amazon.
IMG_20210604_144245.jpg
IMG_20210604_144301.jpg

IMG_20210604_144354.jpg
IMG_20210604_144456.jpg

Not on mine.
What do you mean by align the bulbs vertically ?
Mine would only go in one way, the same as the old ones came out.

How to solve this issue in your case?
I had something similar where my driver's side headlight wasn't correctly aligned so have your car face a blank wall about 3 or 4 metres away, with the bonnet up so you can access the engine bay, and switch on your headlights.

You will need to wear gloves as the headlight bulb units get really hot! However, now you can twist the headlight bulb unit slightly and watch the beam pattern on the wall. You'll see the light which should be strongest on the bottom and weaker towards the top, and you may also make out a sort of line between the light and darkness.

This line should be horizontal and both headlights should shine together so the lines are just about the same level and the line should be below the level of the driver of oncoming vehicles - if you Google it, you can get the exact distance between the car and wall with the corresponding height but that only happens if you need to adjust the level of the headlight which, hopefully, you shouldn't need to! For me, I just rotated the light until the lines matched.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Original halogen bulbs are fixed into the position at an angle, my previous Nighteyes also did this, too. So the Nighteyes led beads would not be at 3 and 9 'o'clock as they should be for led bulbs. The new Novsight can be rotated freely so I can fixed them right.
I see, I have Nighteyes, I thought they would be the same as Novasight have now taken over the Nighteyes brand.
One thing you might check is that all three of the lugs are seated inside the holder as it's possible to bend one of the slots on the mounting and get one of the lugs outside, putting the bulb at an angle. I've done this with a previous car once.

Thanks for your advice. However, my issue may be the bulbs themselves as I notice that the lugs are a little thicker than the original halogen ones so I could not rotate them all the way into proper position.
No problem! Do you know that you can also loosen the neck or ring which the lugs sit on, so you can rotate the main unit which holds the light bulbs and that will help 'move' the light so adjust and improve the beam pattern?

I've fitted this brand to the wife's ZS EV and they do fit!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Well I feel pretty pathetic, can't successfully change a light bulb....
I've only just finally got around to trying to put my new NovSights in (N38 9005 BTW), obviously out in the dark so that I can see to adjust them.

Got the old bulb out ok without breaking any clips!
The new one was really tight trying to get it to turn and lock in place.... Eventually I managed to get a view on it that showed that one of the 3 lugs wasn't inside the metal socket. So it must've been at a bit of an angle, although from where I was I couldn't really tell it wasn't in square.
Tried to turn it to remove it, could not get a good enough grip/twist on it - even with the lovely white cotton gloves supplied.
Had to resort to a pair of grips, got it turned slightly which was enough to get it back out, but it's broken the plastic on the fan, great.

So studying the new bulb further and trying again.
The fitting collar on the new led bulbs allows the led housing to rotate (it's just tight as got a couple of O rings on it), but it won't turn forever, something stops it turning at one point. The collar has a small cut out/lug at one point, which hits on the screw in the housing at a certain point of the rotation.
You can't get a grip on the actual fitting collar (with the 3 lugs) to just twist it when fitting, so you have to hold the housing and turn the whole lot. But the housing twists in the collar, so that turns and, the collar doesn't lock into the socket. So I've realised that you need to turn the housing in the collar as far as it'll go first (in the right direction), such that when you go to fit it, when you turn the housing to lock it in place it immediately forces the collar to do the small turn required to lock in place.
Conversely, when removing it, I pretty much had to rotate the housing a whole 360 degrees anti-clockwise before it caught on the collar, to then cause the collar to turn the small amount on the socket and come out.
I did try fitting the collar on its own into the socket, as I thought that maybe easier - as will then just need to push the led housing into it. But couldn't grip the collar to click it into place on it's own.

Oh, and you have to stuff the box on the lead attached to the new LED bulb, into the space inside the light fitting first, otherwise after locking in the bulb it won't quite fit past it to get inside out of the way to be able to fit the dust seal/cap.

I'm now stuck as I've only got 1 good new bulb now, but to check it's ok, I fitted it to do the alignment....
I've never actually had to align a headlight before! So I marked on the wall infont of the car where the top of the light pattern was - there's a nice clear horizontal line from light to dark. I chalk marked dipped & full beam (full beam isn't a prominent line).
The new led bulb, on dipped, no matter what, when I turned it (the housing that rotates inside the collar locked into the socket), always gave a nice horizontal line at the same place. But it will won't it, as it uses a moveable bit to block the light, so I don't quite know how to tell if it's lined up?
The light pattern on the ground infront of the car changed a bit as I turned it, but how do you know what it right?
Should the bit with the actual LEDs on it be vertical, such that the LEDs on either side are directly on a level horizontal plane? When it is like this, the wire coming out of the housing is either directly at the top or bottom?

I hope this makes sense!?
IMG_4819.JPG
IMG_4818.JPG

Sounds like those rotating ones are a bit of a pain. :(
I got these Nighteyes LED HB3, they're fixed so no rotation. The pictures might give you an idea which way the LEDs are, vertical or horizontal. To me it looks like the LEDs are on either side, i.e. left and right, not top and bottom.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like those rotating ones are a bit of a pain. :(
I got these Nighteyes LED HB3, they're fixed so no rotation. The pictures might give you an idea which way the LEDs are, vertical or horizontal. To me it looks like the LEDs are on either side, i.e. left and right, not top and bottom.
Bit of a price increase, I paid £16 for the Nighteyes.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom