• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Let’s see who gets rattled - charging details

I’ve just recorded my GOM being inaccurate by about 100 miles over just one charge.

It told me I could do 215 miles on 99% charge. Lol 😂
After 108 miles of driving It was saying 27 miles remaining with 13% charge.

I’m going to upload the video tomorrow.

Come join me on a 2 hour misadventure, recorded proof of my claims. It amused me driving past Sheffield 'speed limit 60 for clean air'. Thinking about it, it would be interesting incentive if BEV owners had a different higher speed limit.

The video is really shaky, so I recommend pausing it every 10 minutes to try and get a clear reading. Press 'k' over and over to pause youtube.

eZS comically suggests 215 range, real range achieved 124

@Kithmo
Has anyone else you know with an EV complained about such miraculous malfunction? I think such a GOM may be malfunctioning and the only way forward is to have a check with a manufacturer.
I don't know if you're being serious, but the smiley at the end indicated that I was joking. :rolleyes:

Found this thread interesting because, after the 'full software update' in July (according to the dealer) my GOM increased from 160-170 to 217 on a full charge. I'm almost always in ECO, KERs 3, HVAC off and typically getting 4.1m/Kw. The first time this happened I did run it to 198 miles before chickening out and recharging. In theory impossible (or highly unlikely)

My brother has a 4 year old ZOE and when its battery capacity dropped to below 70m a software update increased it back to the original 90m. This makes me think that manufactures are managing the battery to not fully charge for two reasons; 1. because its better for the battery health to not fully charge it 2. because they can pull a 'fix' out of the bag when a battery drops below 70% within the warranty period.

If the above speculation is true, this boost to 217m means the battery is fully/over charging, which could shorten its life. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8301.JPG
    IMG_8301.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 94
So there are four of us now...welcome to the elite club.

Your GOM is now highly inaccurate after the update unfortunately. There is no extra battery being utilised.

It is assuming that you will be averaging 5 mileskWh for the whole charge.
(It IS possible to reach 212 miles with the eZS under perfect conditions, but not mixed)

I demonstrated this in my video, I averaged 3 mkWh on the motorway and the GOM was off by 89 miles on one journey.

Edit: I agree about the battery management, we know there is 2 kWh unusable on the eZS. I bet the bms can reallocate these cells dynamically over the years to mitigate degradation.

Last edited:
I regret that I can't join, being always below 200, normally around 167.:(.

But you may recall I did once drive 156 miles with over 20 still up my sleeve.:)

Your GOM is being reasonable @Chrispydoc its assuming you will average 3.95 mkWh.

For your trip of 156/176 miles, you must have been averaging 4.1 mkWh.

The interesting question for me is why some cars are so optimistic/broken after the comfort2 update.

Found this thread interesting because, after the 'full software update' in July (according to the dealer) my GOM increased from 160-170 to 217 on a full charge. I'm almost always in ECO, KERs 3, HVAC off and typically getting 4.1m/Kw. The first time this happened I did run it to 198 miles before chickening out and recharging. In theory impossible (or highly unlikely)

My brother has a 4 year old ZOE and when its battery capacity dropped to below 70m a software update increased it back to the original 90m. This makes me think that manufactures are managing the battery to not fully charge for two reasons; 1. because its better for the battery health to not fully charge it 2. because they can pull a 'fix' out of the bag when a battery drops below 70% within the warranty period.

If the above speculation is true, this boost to 217m means the battery is fully/over charging, which could shorten its life. Any thoughts?
@GrahamH
By MG's own data if all one does is city driving then the GOM would show up to 231 miles on a single charge and I know of a few OAPs with ZS EV who were getting 215 to 220 both before and after C2U because they do short slow drives to the supermarket only. So getting GOM readings over 200 is normal if that is the type of driving you do.
I note you question if C2U may have done a miracle on the ZS EV GOM.
If C2U does something miraculous to the car, I would expect the GOMs in the cars of these OAPs to now be showing 300 on a single charge.....😁🤔
Anyway what about all the other thousands of ZS EV that have been sold and software Updated?
Why have they not experienced this miracle?.... I forgot this question has been answer already... Only the "choosen" get the miracle.
Well let's leave the myths behind and tackle the science......
It is a known fact that certain 1st generation EVs with air cooled battery systems had a wider buffer with regards to depth of discharge to protect the batteries and also prevent customers from making claims on batteries in the early days of the EV market. The companies however stated clearly what their battery depth of discharge was. It think some were about 70 to 80%. As manufacturers became more knowledgeable about real life battery degradation and more efficient methods of battery cooling they updated their software to increase the depth of discharge to 90- 95% and to the best of my knowledge they explained to their customers what was being done.
I wonder why MG in their information update on the C2U did not mention the miracle of the GOM. No sorry I know the answer to that question..... It will be revealed only to "the chosen" .
@GrahamH I note you stopped and charged your car when you felt the mileage on the GOM may have been unreasonable. That was absolutely the right thing to do.
So my question is what is the gain to you as a owner and to MG as a manufacturer of having a GOM that shows miraculous high mileage that is not achievable in the every cars that these miraculous high range is appearing?
Clearly there is no benefit except if one wants to promote "the cult of the chosen few"......
@GrahamH I would suggest if you think your GOM is malfunctioning that you have it checked.
There is nothing to be gained by your GOM showing 1 million miles when you know the battery will not take you that far and you can see that even if you drive at a speed of I mile per hour and your efficiency is 100miles per kWh you will not make the I million miles shown on your GOM.
@GrahamH I do not think you should worry about MG doing something that will undermine its best selling car in the UK by putting in an upgrade that will lead to quicker battery degradation. MG will not self sabotage in that way.
The way I see it the only people undermining MG are the "prohets of the chosen few cult" who persistently misinform about how GOM works, claim their GOMs and hence their cars have miraculously range and then when they can not achieve that range they abuse and degrade MG saying their GOM is basic, inaccurate, deviates by as much as 80miles and even that the software on their GOM is that of another MG not the ZS EV. Yet they continue to proclaim their GOM miraculous.
All I will say is beware of these "wolves in sheep clothing" and if you have any doubt about your GOM have it checked by MG.

Last edited:
500 K or 350 miles is the best I have seen on YouTube for the MG ZS EV

@Phil Hayward,
I think there may be a guy from India who has done more miles on a single charge than BN did in this video. The Indians drove only in daylight hours to avoid the issue of night efficiency drop and also for safety reasons. I think their speed was also more steady with only single pedal driving and high kers averaging about 20miles per hour.
If not for Covid I was going to try to break whatever the record is by driving at 18 miles MPH constantly on some remote roads up in Scotland. I however did not get very far when I tried to prep for it as questions about the appropriateness of such a drive in these Covid times kept coming up.

Insulting other members will not be tolerated. Report posts if they are problematic.
I have no idea what the troll @KasEV said but that is the one person that can be safely ignored on these boards.

That muppet is more interested in attention than engaging in conversation. Click ignore and avoid.

Passive aggressive winding up of multiple other members. Please reign it in.
I have no idea what the troll @KasEV said but that is the one person that can be safely ignored on these boards.

That muppet is more interested in attention than engaging in conversation. Click ignore and avoid.
@lee graham
Please stop your insults.
You have tried racial abuse and all sort of name calling to no avail.
Just stop. If you have anything useful and practical to say then please let's hear it.
If all you want is to abuse others then please respectfully leave me out of your abuse.
Hi Folks,
I will politely ask that we all respectfully address each other. I am not bother by racial abuse. Suffered it all my life and it is very sad that in 2020 there are people who still racially abuse others but that is were we are.
Race aside it is not acceptable for anyone to be insulted and abused not on this forum or anywhere else.
Unfortunately, there are those who have such abusive tendencies and often inciting others to such behaviour as well. Society is so much better when we stand firm against such behaviour.
Thanks to you all.
KasEV

Last edited:
@Phil Hayward I just watched The 350 mile range video and that was painful. Did he average about 22 miles an hour for almost 16 hours?

Very dangerous in my opinion because driving 30 under the speed limit is as dangerous as 30 over. Still interesting to push the limits.

I loved the voltage screen on the infotainment!

India 350 miles

@Phil Hayward
Yes that is the video from India.
I think despite the guy clearly stating his drive was not to challenges the official range claims of MG at the very beginning of his video, the video may have had a slightly negative effect as MG India now had to start explaining to customers why they wouldn't be able to able to achieve the mileage claimed in this video in the day to day use of the ZS EV. It may have caused more problems than the "promo" it gave. Anyway the ZS EV seems to be doing well in India but I doubt this video did much to help.
What is your take on "hypermiling" in general?
Although I am still minded to attempt a slow drive @18mph, I think the Tech value of data from such a drive may not be much. It does not seem there are any data for performance enhancement that can be harvested.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom