Live services on MG4 Trophy

Ian Key

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I emailed the following to MG:
A couple of questions about the "Live Services" (weather, traffic updates and Amazon music) that are included with the MG4 Trophy.
Is there a limit on how much data is included?
How long will these services be free?

They replied:
There is no limit - no subscription payment is due and we haven’t been given a time frame if it were to ever run out...

Interesting - given that someone reported in another thread that they seemed to have run out of data for Amazon Music and satnav.

Interesting - given that someone reported in another thread that they seemed to have run out of data for Amazon Music and satnav.
I read that too which is why I asked MG. Perhaps they were using their phone for the sat nav and Amazon Music via Android Auto/Apple CarPlay thinking as they'd paired their phone to the car they were using the car's data.

Last edited:
That's a positive response from MG, at least for the short/medium term.

It was me who presumed my Live Services data had run out for the month. I'd been using Amazon Music a fair bit, so thought it was possible.

I started a supermarket trip from home, then after a short while tried accessing Amazon Music, as usual.
Was presented with the Amazon Music welcome screen (select the Amazon country, etc). On choosing amazon.co.uk, the webpage sign-in screen did not display - got Android error: DNS Cannot Resolve Service Name.

Then tried Sat Nav, instead of operating as usual it displayed the welcome screen, with the "Get Started" button greyed out.

Checked Infotainment software version in case it somehow updated over-the-air, but still at R29.

On enabling a wifi hotspot on my phone and connecting to it from the car, both Amazon Music and Sat Nav resumed working (with Amazon Music, it automatically signed-in, didn't need to re-authenticate)

Surprisingly, on next journey after quick run round Tesco, and mobile hotspot turned off, both services continued to work on MG built-in SIM data.

Point to note - when the iSmart data services (Amazon Music, Connected SatNav) were not functioning, I was still able to connect to the "core" services on the car over mobile data. So I was able to view charge status and so on from MG app.

I was in good mobile reception areas at all times.

The MG iSmart app also signed me out - perhaps the car system / MG mobile provider / MG API gateway had gremlins?

I'm sure there was somebody, who posted a week or so ago here, who quoted an email reply he had from MG customer service on that question that said there was no limit. My dealer here in Valencia also said to me, when I questioned him that he didn't think there was a limit. Must be honest I would be surprised if that was so.

Does anyone have BT Music... or radio or something? I have signed into my amazon account so I can use the amazon music on my trophy but yesterday it came up with BT music or something? Anyone else had that? Is it like a music app on the trophy s I dont have it on my phone.

BT Music = Bluetooth Music ... music tracks played via a Bluetooth-connected device. (I used it last night when my phone was in my pocket rather than connected on the shelf). Make sure the device's volume is set to max.

If your car is parked just outside and is on charge then could you enable WiFi hot spot and use your car for internet for your home?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back