Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Not everyone has an emergency hammer, or knows that the bottom of the headrest posts allegedly double up as one.
I think it's mandatory to have one by law, at least in some countries. I hope people learn how to use them, because there are many cases where the doors cannot be opened whether there is an emergency door release or not.

Last edited:
just curious - how do you open the boot from the inside, should you have to? and apologies if its already been explained
Pages 248, 249 owner's manual

1672843425600.png

Sorry but I think that a hammer in the car is a bit of overkill.
Sure, get one if you’re concerned.
How many times does a person in the UK need a hammer to get out of their car? (MG4 owners excluded..🤪)
Ok, once might be enough, but you’re far more likely to be mugged, should you carry a hammer just in case? Or crash in a plane, should you wear a parachute 🤪
And (thankfully) how often do you find yourself submerged in water with doors jammed? Most people (myself included ) would probably panic anyway.
I’m all for being prepared and safety is paramount but I would suggest their are many more areas to focus on that will be far more likely to cause incidents.
For example;
Improving your driving by taking extra courses
Being more aware at all times
Trying to be more courteous
Being more speed aware
Keeping your car and tyres etc roadworthy
Get swimming lessons…
Carry a full divers kit….

How many times does a person in the UK need a hammer to get out of their car? (MG4 owners excluded..🤪)
Ok, once might be enough, but you’re far more likely to be mugged, should you carry a hammer just in case? Or crash in a plane, should you wear a parachute 🤪
And (thankfully) how often do you find yourself submerged in water with doors jammed? Most people (myself included ) would probably panic anyway.
I’m all for being prepared and safety is paramount but I would suggest their are many more areas to focus on that will be far more likely to cause incidents.
For example;
Being more speed aware
Get swimming lessons…
Well said sir.

You coming to Scotland to see "My Car" thats nice I'll put the kettle on👍

I can tell you all about it if you want, it's got buttons and a rear wiper and stuff😉

For example;
Being more speed aware
Get swimming lessons…
We aren't talking about actual hammers, here. These are lifehammers. They are small and light enough to fit in the door pocket and are specially designed to break the window glass with minimal effort.

They also sound perfect for a break-in…
Lifehammer - is that the trade name?

Death hammer sounds better - skull and crossbones on it positioned middle windscreen

We aren't talking about actual hammers, here. These are lifehammers. They are small and light enough to fit in the door pocket and are specially designed to break the window glass with minimal effort.
It could fly out of the door pocket in an impact with water.

I suppose where it’s mandatory, if you get stopped by Police, the first thing they say is ‘show me your lifehammer sir or I’ll have to run you in’

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back