Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Have you managed to check that the new breather has been fitted. Not suggesting that it hasn't but every other dealer is saying they can only fit when a leak has been confirmed and approved by MG UK ?
To be honest, no I haven't. I'm not that enthusiastic in getting wet squirming under the car to check (assuming I can see anything without removing the undertray).Looking under the car as best I can there doesn't seem to be any oil leak (so far), my drive is currently oil-free. I hope I can assume from that, that either I do have the modified breather or mine doesn't leak. Either way I'm happy.

This car is going to be recalled.

All cars are required to have an emergency door release.

The door release is usually either the handle itself (operating mechanically), or a lever (usually near the window buttons, in the door storage compartment, and sometimes on the A-pillar near where you reach for a seat belt.

The MG4 was just rejected in Australia as an inspector noticed there was no emergency door release, and they were unable to exit the vehicle with power removed.

Imagine if you drive into water or have a smash and cannot quickly exit the vehicle due to a software/electrical fault. Unacceptable. Don't know what UK rules are, but this is a joke, no software update can fix the fact that you cannot mechanically open the doors.

just curious - how do you open the boot from the inside, should you have to? and apologies if its already been explained

The door release is usually either the handle itself (operating mechanically), or a lever (usually near the window buttons, in the door storage compartment, and sometimes on the A-pillar near where you reach for a seat belt.

The MG4 was just rejected in Australia as an inspector noticed there was no emergency door release and they were unable to exit the vehicle with power removed.

Imagine if you drive into water or have a smash and cannot quickly exit the vehicle due to a software/electrical fault. Unacceptable. Don't know what UK rules are, but this is a joke.
So the door handle operates a servo and does not physically open the latch?

Imagine if you drive into water or have a smash and cannot quickly exit the vehicle due to a software/electrical fault. Unacceptable. Don't know what UK rules are, but this is a joke, no software update can fix the fact that you cannot mechanically open the doors.

Precisely what happened to a family of 5 in an Audi Q7 in Buncrana in Ireland.
All drowned.
So I ‘assume’ the asustralia requirement isn’t a uk requirement.

Precisely what happened to a family of 5 in an Audi Q7 in Buncrana in Ireland.
All drowned.
So I ‘assume’ the asustralia requirement isn’t a uk requirement.
Although I also think that the car would be much safer if it had manual overrides for the door handles, I don't think you would be able to open the door or the boot if you fall into the water anyway. The best thing to do in such a case is to break the window with the emergency hammer and exit through it.

Having mechanical latches overriding the deadlock security somewhat defeats the intended purpose of the security locking, does it not? (To refer back to why this thread was started and what the intent was behind the mechanism).

I thought that all cars with electronic door latches had manual overrides. There’s also the flat battery manual key override.

The MG4 was just rejected in Australia as an inspector noticed there was no emergency door release, and they were unable to exit the vehicle with power removed.

That's pretty big news to be fair

Having mechanical latches overriding the deadlock security somewhat defeats the intended purpose of the security locking, does it not? (To refer back to why this thread was started and what the intent was behind the mechanism).
Security dead locks can still work with manual safety override handles. They just detect when key is not in car and deadlock when alarm is enabled.

I’m actually looking at your car on Friday!

Although I also think that the car would be much safer if it had manual overrides for the door handles, I don't think you would be able to open the door or the boot if you fall into the water anyway. The best thing to do in such a case is to break the window with the emergency hammer and exit through it.

Not everyone has an emergency hammer, or knows that the bottom of the headrest posts allegedly double up as one.

Its a really good point! I remember years back there was a big faff on regarding the Tesla M3 having the emergency override at the top of the handle and overuse of it would cause long-term damage. Caused some disruption regarding the need of it and the bottom line was that it needed to stay.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back