Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Trying to get my head round this whitelisting - are you saying that the updates are going up on vehicles in numerical order? So car 5000, for example, is registered in Germany shall we say. And car 5001 is Singapore is that how they do it? And if some Uk regs are 6000 or more it could be weeks to update??? Or am I talking b*****it.
No if they are whitelisting cars, the servers will only allow approved vehicle to be updated.

But can't see why they would as all cars require the update.

What is whitelisted do you know ? The software once available should only need to be downloaded once onto a device to transfer to the car.
The term "whitelist" was used by me. The point is that the dealer has to ask MG to enable the software update for every specific VIN number (or some other serial code) and then it gets available for the car.

Please, keep in mind that this is what one person was told in Germany and what I perceived from their interpretation through autotranslated subtitles. It's mentioned here after 1.30, taking about the LKA update:

I've not received such a letter yet. (Although my car is booked in for next week anyway).

I'm surprised that Graham hasn't masked personal details before posting that - most notably the VIN.
Just received my recall letter today, from the same person, Martin Seaton. Called MG only to be told that 'there is no outstanding recall on the vehicle', so had to tell him I was looking at the letter from MG Motor UK, right in front of me, to which I was told they would 'call me back'. Sounds like this is going to be fun.

The term "whitelist" was used by me. The point is that the dealer has to ask MG to enable the software update for every specific VIN number (or some other serial code) and then it gets available for the car.

Please, keep in mind that this is what one person was told in Germany and what I perceived from their interpretation through autotranslated subtitles. It's mentioned here after 1.30, taking about the LKA update:

Thanks for your reply. This is why over the air updates work much better than having to take the car back to the dealership.

Just received my recall letter today, from the same person, Martin Seaton. Called MG only to be told that 'there is no outstanding recall on the vehicle', so had to tell him I was looking at the letter from MG Motor UK, right in front of me, to which I was told they would 'call me back'. Sounds like this is going to be fun.
Incredible - you would have thought that any recall information is automatically sent to customer service. Once again, this smacks of incompetence I’m afraid. Basic communication planning seems completely absent.

Incredible - you would have thought that any recall information is automatically sent to customer service. Once again, this smacks of incompetence I’m afraid. Basic communication planning seems completely absent.
I agree, it's crazy. I had to tell the guy 'mate, I'm looking at the recall letter right now, it's right in front of me, with 'vehicle safety recall' in bold red capital letters and signed by Martin Seaton, Head of Aftersales and Parts for MG Motor UK Ltd'. Ridiculous.

Not surprised

I've just received my letter! Mines a SE SR from 1st batch fwiw. Not had the problem. Slightly worried any update will create problems now but will call dealer in next day or so. Like others my main question is how quick it can be done and if not very quick I'll want a car off them in meantime. Dealer is 30 minutes from me so not a lunchtime pop out and back scenario really

I've just received my letter! Mines a SE SR from 1st batch fwiw. Not had the problem. Slightly worried any update will create problems now but will call dealer in next day or so. Like others my main question is how quick it can be done and if not very quick I'll want a car off them in meantime. Dealer is 30 minutes from me so not a lunchtime pop out and back scenario really
When the update was applied to mine prior to collection I was told it was around 15-30mins as it has to update and then verify the update had taken place.

It’s good that this issue seems to be at last moving towards a positive conclusion.

When the update was applied to mine prior to collection I was told it was around 15-30mins as it has to update and then verify the update had taken place.
Thanks. Suppose it boils down to whether they just get a load of cars in first thing and deal with it during the day or give me a guaranteed slot. Id still need to do it on a day off if so. Im sure I'll work it out. Its only because dealership a bit out of the way id need a courtesy car. Might even have to suffer an Ice again 😄

Took mine in last week for them to check oil leak(nope) and any software updates. As many other posters have reported, the dealer said analytics said no software upgrade available - I'm still on R29. But, they did do the critical update for the lock-in issue separately. Still, got the letter this morning anyway
🙄

Thanks. Suppose it boils down to whether they just get a load of cars in first thing and deal with it during the day or give me a guaranteed slot. Id still need to do it on a day off if so. Im sure I'll work it out. Its only because dealership a bit out of the way id need a courtesy car. Might even have to suffer an Ice again 😄
My letter has just arrived too, and I'm in the same boat as you, with a logistical problem if the dealer says they have to keep it in :(

FWIW I'm leaving my car with the dealer for the day, as I'm also getting the oil breather fix etc. (Mrs. Guru is picking me up - I'm not fussed about insisting on a courtesy car, even though I'm technically entitled to one).
Is that because your a man of leisure now👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel