Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Tape the physical key from your spare key fob under the bonnet. Then if you get stuck and someone comes to help, you can pop the bonnet, they can get the physical key and unlock your driver door. :)

Tape the physical key from your spare key fob under the bonnet. Then if you get stuck and someone comes to help, you can pop the bonnet, they can get the physical key and unlock your driver door. :)
You may have to communicate through the medium of mime though

I had a test drive yesterday in MG4 SE. The salesman drove initially and when we stopped to change driver, he said the car was showing a key error. At this point all the doors were locked and the alarm sounder started. We couldn’t open the doors and he was unable to get the car to recognise the key moving it around the cabin also he was unable to move the car.
At this point he rang the showroom and got his colleague to bring out the spare key as we’d only gone a short distance.
Has anyone had a similar issue as he claimed he thought this problem had affected a small number of cars.
One thought I did have does the car have an unlock button anywhere?
I‘m new to electric cars and my 12 yr old car doesn’t have the same tech.
Thanks
Just received a recall letter from MG saying that there is a software upgrade required to sort out this locked in car issue. Booked for next week.

Don’t know how up to date the government website is for MOT/TAX checks on your car, but there is a section at the bottom of the page for
“Outstanding vehicle recalls”
you may find some info there.
should be picking up my MG4 SE SR tomorrow so 🤞its Already been done.
Just checked ours and nothing is showing on safety recalls for our MG4 on any government website

Also our MG5 which did have safety recalls over a year ago now shows none on the DVLA or DVSA site but I know for sure it was there a year ago but not there now.
Les

Just checked ours and nothing is showing on safety recalls for our MG4 on any government website

Also our MG5 which did have safety recalls over a year ago now shows none on the DVLA or DVSA site but I know for sure it was there a year ago but not there now.
Les
My understanding is it only shows outstanding recalls for your vehicle if dvsa mandated

"Mark was freed by a mechanic with a special key in Hull."
Are these special keys only available in Hull?
It looks like this:

SB3MGqs.jpg

Positive step by MG, the only really worrying fault in my opinion

I’d class the restricted acceleration/speed that’s discussed in this forum as just as worrying, potentially more so if you pull out to overtake expecting 100% power and suddenly only get 38% power and max 60mph (example)
That’s potentially lethal.
In terms of frequency of occurrence, I’ve seen as many complain about this as being locked in their car on here.
Funny how MG prioritise a fault at rest ahead of a fault while driving….

I’d class the restricted acceleration/speed that’s discussed in this forum as just as worrying, potentially more so if you pull out to overtake expecting 100% power and suddenly only get 38% power and max 60mph (example)
That’s potentially lethal.
In terms of frequency of occurrence, I’ve seen as many complain about this as being locked in their car on here.
Funny how MG prioritise a fault at rest ahead of a fault while driving….
My apologies, completely forgot about that one.
I thought they were just blaming it on your heavy right foot 😉

Just got a letter advising that a software update is required to fix a door locking issue; vehicles have locked occupants within the vehicle without warning. It is not possible to exit the vehicle using the Fob, Interior Release Handles or Unlock Button.

Car needs booking in for the update

Anyone else got this letter?

Attachments

• PXL_20230111_132549555~2.jpg
    PXL_20230111_132549555~2.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 66
I had a test drive yesterday in MG4 SE. The salesman drove initially and when we stopped to change driver, he said the car was showing a key error. At this point all the doors were locked and the alarm sounder started. We couldn’t open the doors and he was unable to get the car to recognise the key moving it around the cabin also he was unable to move the car.
At this point he rang the showroom and got his colleague to bring out the spare key as we’d only gone a short distance.
Has anyone had a similar issue as he claimed he thought this problem had affected a small number of cars.
One thought I did have does the car have an unlock button anywhere?
I‘m new to electric cars and my 12 yr old car doesn’t have the same tech.
Thanks
I just posted a recall letter about this issue

Just got a letter advising that a software update is required to fix a door locking issue; vehicles have locked occupants within the vehicle without warning. It is not possible to exit the vehicle using the Fob, Interior Release Handles or Unlock Button.

Car needs booking in for the update

Anyone else got this letter?
Everyone else!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video