• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

This is more worrying than any of the other problems with the car.

Can those who have had this misfortune not only contact their dealers but also email MG Customer Services with all the details from how you opened the car to what signs the car was showing that something was wrong.
Agreed. This is a safety issue and needs escalating with dealers asap.

This is more worrying than any of the other problems with the car.

Can those who have had this misfortune not only contact their dealers but also email MG Customer Services with all the details from how you opened the car to what signs the car was showing that something was wrong.
Exactly this. It's not only worrying but it is actually quite scary. I've never heard of any other car doing this before

If anyone is interested, this is still happening to the car. I received it back from the dealer who said a software patch was done. The only thing it seems to have accomplished is turning off the alarm when the invalid key error appears. It is still locking people in the car with neither key working. The only way to get out is using the mechanical insert.

The cynic in me thinks the only thing the software patch did was to turn off the audible alarm to stop attention being drawn to it.

It is still faulty, my wife was locked in the car this morning after dropping the kids off at school. The only difference now is that the alarm doesn't sound when locking you in. Neither key worked again, I had to drive down with the mechanical insert to open the door to get her out.

It is still faulty, my wife was locked in the car this morning after dropping the kids off at school. The only difference now is that the alarm doesn't sound when locking you in. Neither key worked again, I had to drive down with the mechanical insert to open the door to get her out.
Have we established if this is a fault specific to your car or a general fault that that others have also seen?

Have we established if this is a fault specific to your car or a general fault that that others have also seen?
Yes it's a known fault and there are a number of other vehicles with the same problem. According to the service manager it's still being investigated.

Serious, straight back to dealership if it was me!!!
Yep, wife will not drive it ever again now.

Have you tried the alternative starting method on page 159 of the manual?
The car doesn't have any issues starting. The problem occurs while moving and usually happens after about a mile, the key becomes invalid and locks down. It seems to happen at a specific time after the car starts driving.

From a rescue helicopter🚁
Unfortunately I think you are right, this car has the latest software release, so the issue is an insidious one within the vehicle. Could be a ticking time bomb for others. All it takes is for someone to stop at lights and apply the handbrake as you would, then you are stuffed. Also slowing traffic on a motorway, when you eventually try to get moving you will be stranded in quite a serious situation.

It's been tried to no effect...you are still locked in

The car doesn't have any issues starting. The problem occurs while moving and usually happens after about a mile, the key becomes invalid and locks down. It seems to happen at a specific time after the car starts driving.
OK, I must have missed that post.

Do the window controls still work when this situation happens? (If yes then there could be an option to use the mechanical key by reaching out through the window).

I'm not trying to defend MG here - just thinking of initial workarounds should it happen.

Unfortunately not, none of the controls respond to any inputs. If the windows are up, the only accessible mechanical lock is in the boot under a plastic cover. For the less than nible, this poses quite the challenge if there is no outside help with a spare key.

I've just seen another case of this on the MG4 Owners and Fans Group on Facebook.

Have you got any updates to your case?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel