Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

IMG_20221101_153728.jpg

Doesn't pulling the (inside) handle twice force the car to unlock anyway? (That's what happens with my current Insignia).

It does in my MG5 but I don't know if that is still the case when it thinks the key is not present :unsure:

Doesn't pulling the (inside) handle twice force the car to unlock anyway? (That's what happens with my current Insignia).
The problem as I see it is replicating it with a flat key battery in the car as opposed to anti theft which is designed to not let people out (well it is on my car with double press on key lock button having to be a deliberate action as you lock it and walk away). As stated this could be a one off so perhaps 🤷‍♂️ and leave it at that....

Alan

This happened to my wife and myself. It is extremely serious as it locked her in the car with my children on a busy road. Luckily she managed to figure out a solution by using the mechanical key inside the electronic key and climb out the boot using the mechanical switch.

When it happened to me, none of the electronics would respond, and luckily I had the window open. When I stopped the car and tried to get out the alarm sounded and again was locked inside. I leaned out the window and popped the catch off the handle to access the mechanical door switch.

This is extremely concerning as if this happened during an accident, people could very likely die from being locked inside.

I had both keys in the car and neither responded to inputs, handles would not work either (even with a double pull).

This is due to anti theft measures in modern cars. It is designed to not let doors be opened inside or outside without the electronic key. Any fault on this system can be life threatening, think leaving baby or dog in the car during hot weather when you nip to the shops and then :eek:....

My EV lays it out quite clearly that it should only be used with no-one in the car and requires double press of the lock button on the fob to activate it. It will not allow it to be a permanent setting feature. It has to be a deliberate action on the physical fob.

It is essential you know how to access the mechanical key from the fob and the emergency release switch for the safety escape door in my opinion.

Alan

This happened to my wife and myself. It is extremely serious as it locked her in the car with my children on a busy road. Luckily she managed to figure out a solution by using the mechanical key inside the electronic key and climb out the boot using the mechanical switch.

When it happened to me, none of the electronics would respond, and luckily I had the window open. When I stopped the car and tried to get out the alarm sounded and again was locked inside. I leaned out the window and popped the catch off the handle to access the mechanical door switch.

This is extremely concerning as if this happened during an accident, people could very likely die from being locked inside.

I had both keys in the car and neither responded to inputs, handles would not work either (even with a double pull).
Was this in a MG4 or another car?

Yip manual emergency key if you are outside. You may not be able to start the car with it but at least you are inside...BUT stuck inside with no method to escape is a real issue!!! Perhaps the salesman didn't know the method to actually expedite escape? Back to the user manual for a
peruse!

My current ev recommends changing key fob battery every 6 months and the dash gives a low key battery warning

Alan
That seems very short, my last battery lasted over 10 years, and as my vehicle is a van containing valuable equipment it gets unlocked/locked at least 18 times a week🤔

I don’t know how much modern keys "chatter" to the cars electronics nowadays. It was the same on my cx5's fob before my mx30. My mx30 is less than 2 years old and has had two key fob batteries. My previous cx5 had one replacement within 2 years. It's the future you know.... 🤷‍♂️ :D

Alan

Could be that the new keyless entry keys are continually active checking if the car is within range to open it whereas the remote keys are only active when you press the button.

thats crazy! I don't see what problem they are trying to solve by making it difficult to open the doors from inside?? I get child locks in the back, but if the front door is locked then pulling the physical door open handle should override it - thats what my current car does.

The thinking is that if a theft attempt is made by breaking a window they can't lean in and open the door from the inside. Makes life more difficult. Consequence if it goes faulty it could possibly activate anti theft.
As stated on my car if it is locked normally then all doors can be opened from the inside or outside. If double locked (anti theft) they don't internally. Designed that way.

Alan

Last edited:
If the other key worked that simply points to a potential flat battery on the first key issue raised. The second one could be the same if the keys are set for keyless entry and lose power by trying to communicate with the car during shipping perhaps? Interested in the answer

Alan

Last edited:
Video showing how to change the key fob battery.
Thanks for this. Pictures also on #6 of this thread. It does make you think about immediately replacing the battery as soon as you get the car for fear of it going flat shortly after you get it :unsure: No great volume of this being reported so 🤞

Alan

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel