Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

I'm surprised they aren't required to provide evidence that a DVSA recall matter has been dealt with (at least to satisfy the DVSA if not the customer) - did you get a recall letter? If so maybe you can query it with them while at the same time dropping the dealer in.
I did get the letter and thats when I had booked the car in for patching. And, after 2 months they mentioned that we forgot to patch the car :-(

Collected my new MG4 Trophy on 22 March 2023. 3 weeks ago the alarm went off (for 5 mins), & when I stopped I realised that I was locked in, though fortunately the driver window was open - which I then struggled through (I'm 69). AA man came 2 hours later. He couldn't figure out what had happened, but opened the bonnet triggering the alarm. When he switched the alarm off, the car computer seemed to re-boot itself & the car has been fine since. However I'm now a little uneasy using the car, for instance when I'm far from home or taking my 94 year-old mother for her hospital appointment. Can't get to the bottom of whether or not there's an escape solution.

ps forgot to say that it's an ev.
Well rogerW sorry to hear of your issues with being locked in the car I honestly can not understand what your dealer is playing at letting you take the car without known issues being checked and rectified but this one had a recall from MG so should never have happened but in answer to your question and also that you know just in case as you where lucky this time as you had a window open but the official escape route is via the rear hatch which can be opened from inside the car not easy to do but can be done I see from your later post #775 you have it back at the dealer on Friday so not to long a wait and if you look back in this thread you will see it’s nothing new so really bad it was sorted before you got the car
Les

This should not be still happening people being locked in cars, but I see quite a few of you are writing about getting an invoice from the dealer I agree we should, when ever you have any work carried out but they don’t.
But for this matter I took the recall letter with me and insisted that it was stamped and signed by the dealer as completed I also did the very same thing over the MK1 MG5 roof rail loading.
Never take no for an answer where safety recalls are concerned take any correspondence with you and have it stamped and signed because only MG dealers have access to service records you as the owner don’t, but we should have.
Les

First I must thank the RogerW for reporting this problem. It must have been very traumatic and I hope the problem is resolved and its solution reported here.

I know nothing about the software upgrade for the 'locked-in' problem. My interest is how to cope with the situation the Roger found himself in because I may be the next person to be in that situation.

My understanding of the problem was that the car software entered an anomalous state whereby the Alarm System was active even though the car was being driven. Pressing the Unlock/Lock button on the car door activated the alarm until the car was 'parked' (details unknown). The car then entered a powered-down state whereby no electronic intervention worked but the alarm was still active. The car was 'reset' when the AA Technician opened the bonnet triggering the alarm and then cancelled the alarm using the key.

Whether this problem matches that for the software update I cannot say but I offer this hypothesis: using a physical alarm intervention - the bonnet is opened by a cable - triggered the alarm and cancelling it using its standard method 'reset' the car's software.

It is not known if the Roger tried to use the mechanical key to unlock the driver's door - the dealer may not have told him about it. My hypothesis would mean that, had they done so, the door would have unlocked and the alarm sounded to be cancelled by the key. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

So I now know what I would try given this anomalous situation and many thanks to Roger for raising this issue.

PS. I am aware of the boot exit route which I think would be the last thing I considered.

I still can not believe this is happening my car was the first one to have the software update back in start December before the recall update was released.and now near 7months later it is still happening to people.and also the oil leak is still happening to people it’s crazy. the customer service I got was appalling I was laughed at by the dealer when I was locked inside for 4 hours they just laughed said it’s not serious then I got in touch with dvsa who were very good.mg need to sort there act out rapid or the values for mg4 are going to tumble

First I must thank the RogerW for reporting this problem. It must have been very traumatic and I hope the problem is resolved and its solution reported here.

I know nothing about the software upgrade for the 'locked-in' problem. My interest is how to cope with the situation the Roger found himself in because I may be the next person to be in that situation.

My understanding of the problem was that the car software entered an anomalous state whereby the Alarm System was active even though the car was being driven. Pressing the Unlock/Lock button on the car door activated the alarm until the car was 'parked' (details unknown). The car then entered a powered-down state whereby no electronic intervention worked but the alarm was still active. The car was 'reset' when the AA Technician opened the bonnet triggering the alarm and then cancelled the alarm using the key.

Whether this problem matches that for the software update I cannot say but I offer this hypothesis: using a physical alarm intervention - the bonnet is opened by a cable - triggered the alarm and cancelling it using its standard method 'reset' the car's software.

It is not known if the Roger tried to use the mechanical key to unlock the driver's door - the dealer may not have told him about it. My hypothesis would mean that, had they done so, the door would have unlocked and the alarm sounded to be cancelled by the key. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

So I now know what I would try given this anomalous situation and many thanks to Roger for raising this issue.

PS. I am aware of the boot exit route which I think would be the last thing I considered.
Thank you for the support that you expressed in your post yesterday Martin. I should have mentioned that my brother in-law & nephew tried to unlock the door using the mechanical key, but it didn't work either, so that's when I decided to struggle out of the driver's window! I am also now aware of the boot exit as explained by Les Burrows post#782 (thanks Les).

No problem roger the car goes in tomorrow to be looked at and I have just read you could not open the drivers door with the mechanical key I don’t think any one has reported that issue before so be sure to mention that to your dealer and make double sure they understand that the door could not be unlocked in that way
Les

Having read all the 788 posts on this subject (with a number of off-posts) I have not found one that can tell me, clearly, why the fault occurred and what software correction was made to ensure it does not happen again.

In summary, for those who read only the later posts, this issue arose on 1st November 2022 and was associated with alarm deadlocks and the failure of the car to communicate with the key. It took pressure from owners and, probably, DVSA, to get MG to fix it. In the meantime owners tried to recreate the problem and find workarounds (as I sought to do). Following a safety recall all MG4s should have the latest software but if Roger could not open the door with the mechanical key, which others say they could, then there is still something to be investigated and Les is right to emphasise the need for the dealer to investigate.

A few owners who found themselves in the locked-in situation managed to unlock the doors by removing themselves from the driver's seat, and in some cases, opening the bonnet - something that may have occurred in Ralph's situation.

Finally, my dealer told me my Trophy's software was up-to-date when I picked it up in the middle of April. I have no reason to doubt him but being aware of the problem is half the solution.

I can't tell you exactly what change the recall made, but the recall reference was AS-22-RC008.

Not sure if this is in connection with what you are saying

Attachments

• IMG_6148.png
    IMG_6148.png
    439.1 KB · Views: 82
That's probably it but the problem was/is more than a 'potential' it was an 'actual'.
Well it’s the only recall showing on there you can put in 2023 as the year of manufacture and nothing comes up in relation to any safety recalls just this one for any 2022 year

Before this gets too many posts, my use of 'probably' is because I do not know, those more knowledgeable than me can confirm the recall, I cannot.

Re locked-in/recall. Just thought I'd post this update re my situation. Three nights ago my MG4 was parked in our resident's parking bay - along with five of my neighbours cars, and some yob/s thought it 'fun' to break all our driver's wing mirrors. I've had to arrange a repair date so will now be nearer the end of June before the above recall issue is addressed. Will post about how I get on with MG when it's all over!

I am so sorry you have suffered yet another catastrophe, it is a bitter blow.

Unless you are not intending to drive the car, can I ask why the dealer cannot update the dangerous software before fitting a new driver's mirror.

I am so sorry you have suffered yet another catastrophe, it is a bitter blow.

Unless you are not intending to drive the car, can I ask why the dealer cannot update the dangerous software before fitting a new driver's mirror.
Thanks Martin. Actually it's more a case of my personal choice, the wing mirror repair will require adjustments to the electric components & I want the car to be fully functional (perfect?) Before the recall work commences.

Hi- I got my MG4 mid April and on the 15th of May while I was pulling to stop at the side of the road, it locked me inside. Key didn't work and it sent me an email saying there was an 'illegal invasion' of the car. I pushed the unlock button on the door and alarm set off. I called MG Assist/AA and they turned up an hour later and pressed the unlock button on the door outside and the car opened and all screens returned to normal. AA ran a diagnostic on the car and found no problem; they also said they have no record of this happening to anyone else. It has taken 3 weeks to get an appointment at an MG dealer, during which I left the car on the drive, not wanting to drive a potential death trap. I have just taken it in and they told me they have upgraded the software as per the recall- which no one told me about. They promised the lock in won't happen again, but how can I trust it now? When I requested in writing what they had done so I can have a record, they told me they have no records, it is just a computer upgrade.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back