Long-range?

Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me from 53 to 61kWhr although I suppose "every little helps". Call me cynical but I wouldn't mind betting that it's the same battery but with better battery management software :)
£1500 for an extra 30 ish miles, is not good value, but I suppose it depends how critical 30 extra miles would be to someone.

£1500 for an extra 30 ish miles, is not good value, but I suppose it depends how critical 30 extra miles would be to someone.
I'd say 30 miles for £1500 is exceptional value. I can't think of another EV where there's a comparable option for anything close to as cheap as that.

I think the biggest difference will be philological. We've all round the current range down to 200, we'll all be rounding this one up to 250. Personally I think it's the start of the price increase. At least when the face-lift comes it won't be such a jump.

I'd say 30 miles for £1500 is exceptional value. I can't think of another EV where there's a comparable option for anything close to as cheap as that.
Don't forget MG Pilot and rest of driver assist package. It will give Nissan leaf 62kW a run for its money, I understand that leaf is a very popular choice for taxi EV s.

Don't forget MG Pilot and rest of driver assist package. It will give Nissan leaf 62kW a run for its money, I understand that leaf is a very popular choice for taxi EV s.
If it is £1500 for extra range and MG Pilot then that is good value. However, will it be discounted as heavily as the current model? The real difference might be way more.

Re being a taxi, that is exactly why I am looking at an MG5. Don't want a Leaf - the boot is too small.

I reckon it will take the real life range over the magic 200 mile mark which will make the car a more attractive option to all buyers.

Having a rethink (as I didn't research it doh ! 🙄), I think you're right, comparing it to other makes, taking into account if you want (or need) the extra miles for the type of journeys you do of course.

But that's included in the new smaller battery one, so the £1500 is purely for the extra battery.

I think you are both correct.

Compared to other long range vehicles the uplift in price isn't bad. However, the extra battery needed is overpriced at £1500 really.

But remains to be seen if the market is happy with the extra price.

i think that for the extra £1.5k is great value for an extra 20% battery.
but i have read somewhere that the 0-60 and the m/kWh is less, due to the extra weight.

but i do wonder if it is possible to add the larger battery aftermarket.

i think that for the extra £1.5k is great value for an extra 20% battery.
but i have read somewhere that the 0-60 and the m/kWh is less, due to the extra weight.

but i do wonder if it is possible to add the larger battery aftermarket.
Saw on a youtube vid that 2nd hand nissan leaf batteries cost 8 or 9 grand. A good price if your battery is dead but not a reasonable upgrade path.

We will confirm all of the details of the new MG5 Long Range in this evening's Podcast.😁

Please feel free to post any questions you'd like to be answered in the Podcast thread 👍

The manual says it has a roof load capacity of 75kg.
Interesting, so it looks like they have fixed the load issue with the upgrade, strange this was not announced in the same was as the 5 and Marvel was over the channel.

Screenshot from 2021-07-12 09-15-48.png

We will confirm all of the details of the new MG5 Long Range in this evening's Podcast.😁

Please feel free to post any questions you'd like to be answered in the Podcast thread 👍
Will the long range have faster AC charging?

Are they planning to upgrade the autumn 2021 "low range" MG5 with MG Pilot?

I really need to know if the 'new' one can have a tow bar attached but can see no mention of it in the new manual?

I'm due to collect my MG5 this morning and now doubting myself. Close to cancelling and waiting now.

Saw on a youtube vid that 2nd hand nissan leaf batteries cost 8 or 9 grand. A good price if your battery is dead but not a reasonable upgrade path.
Most of that is quite a few hours in labour, as they test and replace each cell with another and apparently the cells they put in are refurbished, not new, not good value at all.
I repaired SWMBO's old Gen 2 Prius battery by replacing two cells with second hand ones that cost £18 each on Ebay so £36 in all. Of course a small Hybrid battery weighing 65lbs (once separated from the ECU, covers and such) is just about handleable for DIY repair but a bigger, full BEV, battery would require more lifting power.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom