Long-range?

I wish front sensors were available as an option, especially useful when manoeuvring in tight areas.

Are there retro fit options?

I may have too much free time on my hands after reading all that I've written below 😳

Looking at the recent manual for the MG5 - there are a couple of differences between Battery Pack Type 1 (standard range) and 2 (long range)

There is an 9mm difference in overall height - 1513mm vs 1521mm, but there seems to be a reduction in ground clearance 116.1mm vs 115.2mm. Just under 1mm - so overall, looks as thought the Type 2 battery pack is 1cm deeper than the type 1.

The Type 2 also seems to have slightly more Peak Torque 280Nm vs 260Nm, but the same Rated Torque of 87.1Nm

The coolant volume for the HV pack has increased from 4.4 litres to 4.8, but the electric drive transmission coolant dropped from 4.2 litres to 4.0

One last thing - all the camber, caster and toe in values for the front wheels have changed but the rear wheel values are identical - makes me think that only the front suspension geometry has been modified and the rear left untouched.

I may have too much free time on my hands after reading all that I've written below 😳

Looking at the recent manual for the MG5 - there are a couple of differences between Battery Pack Type 1 (standard range) and 2 (long range)

There is an 9mm difference in overall height - 1513mm vs 1521mm, but there seems to be a reduction in ground clearance 116.1mm vs 115.2mm. Just under 1mm - so overall, looks as thought the Type 2 battery pack is 1cm deeper than the type 1.

The Type 2 also seems to have slightly more Peak Torque 280Nm vs 260Nm, but the same Rated Torque of 87.1Nm

The coolant volume for the HV pack has increased from 4.4 litres to 4.8, but the electric drive transmission coolant dropped from 4.2 litres to 4.0

One last thing - all the camber, caster and toe in values for the front wheels have changed but the rear wheel values are identical - makes me think that only the front suspension geometry has been modified and the rear left untouched.
Maybe the front wheel angle has been changed for the reviewers/ journalists.

They all seem to moan "if you drive spiritedly into a corner it can't cope"
It's not a race car for gods sake!

I used to have a tuned Volvo V70R AWD - that was a race car. The MG5 is (allegedly) as quick to 60mph but don't think I'll be throwing it into corners quite the same. My dogs in the back were never too impressed with that driving style anyway!

The 5 is definitely tighter than the ZS round corners.
Not surprising when you consider the lower ground clearance of the MG5 over the ZS EV - just for one single reason alone.
Suspension set up on the ZS EV is on the soft side as well.
Hey ........ I am not complaining !.
Well my old body isn't, that's for sure.

I had LR as courtesy car for a day last week. Suspension felt stiffer than what I remember from my test drive of standard range. Power delivery in Normal was no different. Definitely higher off the ground, you could feel the step up.
I notice that it misses Blind spot and rear cross traffic alert system compared to ZS EV.
Noticed that only the boot light is white and probably an Led. Is it same in standard range? can't recall now. Wondered why cabin lights were not upgraded to led!
Raised boot floor is very good, I wonder if this could be fitted to present model if you were to order parts from MG?

Boot nets on sides poorly executed. The boot mat is a bad fit with nets in place.

Not surprising when you consider the lower ground clearance of the MG5 over the ZS EV - just for one single reason alone.
Suspension set up on the ZS EV is on the soft side as well.
Hey ........ I am not complaining !.
Well my old body isn't, that's for sure.
Coincidentally, I noticed the difference on my ZS between cold and warm tyres.
I usually use mine early mornings, cold tyres, yesterday I nipped out in the afternoon, 21 deg C and noticed straight away the ride was softer than when I went out earlier.

Noticed that only the boot light is white and probably an Led. Is it same in standard range? can't recall now. Wondered why cabin lights were not upgraded to led!
SWMBO's, 70 reg, 5 has a LED boot light, We bought it at 4 months old in March, ex demo. I thought maybe the dealer had fitted the LED bulb so they could leave the boot open longer without running the 12v down, but now you mention it, maybe they started putting LEDs in the boot lights as standard ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom