MG Customer Service

I would try above his head first to give them an opportunity before reaching further out but that is only my personal opinion
No point, any complaints above his head are responded to by him.

How can a motor manufacturers customer care team take the stance of deal with the dealer. Again this is indefensible.

I had an issue with a setting on my cruise control on my Megane, the dealer I bought it from was 90 miles away.
I raised the issue with Renault UK, they got back to me in 24 hrs, spoke with them, they apologised and said the update should have been done prior to handover. Sent me a voucher for £150 to use with Renault and asked which dealer near me I'd like to use, they then booked my car in for the update and arranged for it to be picked up and dropped of at my work.
At the risk of starting a debate of again that should be how customer care works

Possibly setting off a small detonation here BUT has anyone had any success with MG customer service? I've had issues with my 2 month old MG4, which are being put down to the known oil leak issue. I'm not convinced of this. They are doing the rebreather fit. Don't know which version this is. But tried to escalate my complaint with customer service to Gary Smart and have basically been shut down, he's not interested and has stated no further dialogue will be entered into with him. Purely go via the dealer. I have no issues with the dealer's communication or customer service. They are essentially hobbled by MG however. I wasn't rude or abusive, merely highlighted the many problems I had with MG and MG Assist. Not. Interested.

I have reported my fault to DVSA but this lack of any ownership (or even acknowledgement) from MG is infuriating. I want to escalate but the buck apparently stops with him.
Any word back from DVSA?

Seems counterintuitive considering an escalation could be a complaint about him 😂

This was from the water ingress thread which is now being resolved

Further update:
I subsequently chased/escalated (all the way up to Hao Wang), including providing additional photographic evidence of the oil leak and other items on the snagging list.
Still nothing back from the dealership, but have now had a response back from MG Motors UK (on behalf of Hao Wang), so we'll see if/where that leads...

This was from the water ingress thread which is now being resolved

Further update:
I subsequently chased/escalated (all the way up to Hao Wang), including providing additional photographic evidence of the oil leak and other items on the snagging list.
Still nothing back from the dealership, but have now had a response back from MG Motors UK (on behalf of Hao Wang), so we'll see if/where that leads...
Do we know an email address format should someone want to contact someone like Hao Wang? Hypothetically of course

Well the phone call I had with MG customer service ended up with 'We sold it to the dealer its their problem'. What part of customer service they dont get. Their name on the car not the dealers.

Serious re think for MG.

Oh wow I just searched Gary Smart on my absolutely useless MG Customer service emails and yep, the terrible useless emails all came from him. He gave me zero help or advice, told me to not pay any attention to third party forums. Useless guy!

I'm going to go all "Negative Nelly" ill await the standard responses.

If you take the faults the car has, of which there are numerous, obviously there is no real pattern to what models can get what faults, if any.

Some niggles, some dangerous and some that are now a bit of an embarrassing saga (an oil leak that has been dragging on for nearly 5 months)

Put all of these aside and the single biggest fault would appear to be MG UK themselves, there is zero customer support and there is now far to much evidence for even the most ardent 4 owner to dispute that.
Any customer care team that says "we sold it to the dealer it's their problem" is just a disgrace.

There have been numerous members slag of other brands in their defence of MG but even they must read some of this and agree now.

There will as is the norm for this forum probably be some examples forthcoming now of crap service elsewhere from other manufacturers and the usual my car is perfect stories. ( I genuinely hope it is)

That doesn't solve the issues with MG though, as @Retsiba said it really needs all the owners to be united, I'm sure if all the cars that are great just now develop a fault, hopefully not by the way, the owners would expect a level of service from MG then, things would obviously change very quickly if the shoe was on the other foot.

As someone who was initially quite excited about ordering a 4 I think the most disappointing thing for me, varying levels of quality control aside, is MG themselves they launch a potentially great car, that gets good initial reviews, but they completely miss a trick with putting the correct support and service in place. Will it impact sales? Probably not, there really is nothing that can compete with the 2 SE s and people will still take a chance on a budget entry level EV.

The big thing and it is completely unknown at this time, is the long term impact on used 4s, all used EVs prices are now falling, from the ridiculous false used prices they were at. How will the market react to a car with some questionable quality control and poor after sales care as I said nobody really knows.

Hopefully it improves soon.

( No I don't have a 4, yes I still come in here, yes I still have a reason, no I won't go elsewhere, yes I complain about MG quality and service, I am not alone!! Oh your aggressive DM, telling me to leave the forum, makes you sound really tough, not! )

I'm going to go all "Negative Nelly" ill await the standard responses.

If you take the faults the car has, of which there are numerous, obviously there is no real pattern to what models can get what faults, if any.

Some niggles, some dangerous and some that are now a bit of an embarrassing saga (an oil leak that has been dragging on for nearly 5 months)

Put all of these aside and the single biggest fault would appear to be MG UK themselves, there is zero customer support and there is now far to much evidence for even the most ardent 4 owner to dispute that.
Any customer care team that says "we sold it to the dealer it's their problem" is just a disgrace.

There have been numerous members slag of other brands in their defence of MG but even they must read some of this and agree now.

There will as is the norm for this forum probably be some examples forthcoming now of crap service elsewhere from other manufacturers and the usual my car is perfect stories. ( I genuinely hope it is)

That doesn't solve the issues with MG though, as @Retsiba said it really needs all the owners to be united, I'm sure if all the cars that are great just now develop a fault, hopefully not by the way, the owners would expect a level of service from MG then, things would obviously change very quickly if the shoe was on the other foot.

As someone who was initially quite excited about ordering a 4 I think the most disappointing thing for me, varying levels of quality control aside, is MG themselves they launch a potentially great car, that gets good initial reviews, but they completely miss a trick with putting the correct support and service in place. Will it impact sales? Probably not, there really is nothing that can compete with the 2 SE s and people will still take a chance on a budget entry level EV.

The big thing and it is completely unknown at this time, is the long term impact on used 4s, all used EVs prices are now falling, from the ridiculous false used prices they were at. How will the market react to a car with some questionable quality control and poor after sales care as I said nobody really knows.

Hopefully it improves soon.

( No I don't have a 4, yes I still come in here, yes I still have a reason, no I won't go elsewhere, yes I complain about MG quality and service, I am not alone!! Oh your aggressive DM, telling me to leave the forum, makes you sound really tough, not! )
I think aggressive DM's should be named and shamed. Is that allowed?

Great car
Great value
Iffy quality control
Iffy software but improving
Iffy hardware on some, time will tell on other materials
Iffy reduction gearbox breather design
Some poor dealerships but some great
Zero UK level genuine customer support

If you have got a good one, and a really good caring dealership that will strive to resolve any issues you are quids in. Hold on to it tight.

If you have the deadly combination of a fault, be it a niggle, minor or major with a poor dealership and no UK level assistance then the frustration kicks in. Hopefully this is in the minority.

Hence the inconsistencies on this forum regarding owners experience. I am in the "unless you have walked in another person's shoes" category so I can understand both sides of the debate. We are allowed to praise or criticise based on our own experiences. No right, no wrong.

The one consistency is MG UK's lack of customer care and service imo. Sort this and watch MG customer satisfaction ratings take off.

Great car
Great value
Iffy quality control
Iffy software but improving
Iffy hardware on some, time will tell on other materials
Iffy reduction gearbox breather design
Some poor dealerships but some great
Zero UK level genuine customer support

If you have got a good one, and a really good caring dealership that will strive to resolve any issues you are quids in. Hold on to it tight.

If you have the deadly combination of a fault, be it a niggle, minor or major with a poor dealership and no UK level assistance then the frustration kicks in. Hopefully this is in the minority.

Hence the inconsistencies on this forum regarding owners experience. I am in the "unless you have walked in another person's shoes" category so I can understand both sides of the debate. We are allowed to praise or criticise based on our own experiences. No right, no wrong.

The one consistency is MG UK's lack of customer care and service imo. Sort this and watch MG customer satisfaction ratings take off.
Pretty much sums it up, not sure what price the Cyberster is going to be but with a bigger price there will be more expectation of better service
Although price shouldn't matter

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums