MG ZS EV 2021 new features

They also possibly made some weight savings somewhere. On long journeys a full car with 3 people we lose a fair bit of range.

Perhaps they lopped off a wheel...

There is rumoured to be a ZS EV face lifted model with a larger HV pack coming to the market in 2022.
Nothing confirmed as of yet, but the the rumours are quite strong.
People are guesting it will be around 64 kw to match the Kona & the e.Niro ?????.
I saw the battery size as 73kWh.
NewZS.jpg

I saw the battery size as 73kWh.
View attachment 3195
There is enough room under the floor pan to suit a 70 ish Kw pack I am sure.
Only speaking for myself here, but a 70 Kw pack would be brilliant.
We don’t have any range issues for about 99% of the time on our current pack, but a 70 Kw ish pack would be brilliant !.
I wonder if they will offer the ZS EV in two different size packs, or will they just shoot for the bigger pack only ?.
I do hope they offer both sizes packs, as this will still make our cars desirable in the used market and therefore reflect on a decent residual value for the newer model.
Some owners of the original ZS EV may want to upgrade to gain the extra range, but if they only offer the larger packs on the face lift model, then models with the smaller packs maybe faced with a “figure to change” being too great to justify the cost ?.

Why doesn't someone from MG come on the forum and tell us the truth or is the Indian ad just a load of rubbish. If it's so good it would improve sales no-end.

Hi Everyone, my first post here. Recently brought 2021 ZS EV Indian edition and all this improved range thing is just MG's marketing gimmick. Here in India the standards like ARAI and ICAT are kind of hypermiling tests which is contradictory to WLTP standards.

So these numbers not near the real world scenarios. Here we get a real world range between 300km to 350km based on the driving conditions and little lightfoot. Warm conditions here helps it seems. If you can switch off the air-con we may able to cross the 400km mark.

One another positive change in 2021 version is the bigger tyre size from 215/50 R17 to 215/55 R17. This helps to add up the ground clearance from 161mm to 177mm and seems helps to firm up the suspension and adds to the ride quality. Finally there are some small tweaks and added feature to the iSmart remote app. Nothing more nothing less in 2021 version.

I'm sure there is a shed load of guesswork going on in this stream and as has been reiterated 44.5 kWh, is 44.5 kWh, is 44.5 kWh but is that a usable 44.5kWh?
I remember it being said to me in the dealer when I had my test drive that the Actual capacity was more like 46 kWh to 48 kWh and with the buffers at top and bottom the usable 0% to 100% is 44.5 kWh. I know that the 2018 Nissan 40 kWh LEAF has 10 left when the GOM says 0% or "--- miles" so it is logical to assume there is a low SOC buffer on the ZS of 3-4 kWh.
Since the ZS had before the January 2021 BMS Update, no capacity for KERS/Regen for the first 5 to 10 miles it's probable that there was only about 5% of charge headroom above the available range. The changes to the BMS in January seems to have allowed discharge to a lower point before usable 0% and a reduction in the 100% charge battery voltage of around 10 volts to 439 volts increasing the full charge headroom and making KERS/Regen available much sooner and yet by lowering the deepest allowable discharge the rang is the same. It is, therefore, possible that a different BMS reducing the headroom at low SOC and high SOC could increase Available Battery Capacity 10% or more.
A further consideration is ambient temperature. We all know the impact of Winter on reducing the range and on Summer on extending the range. I have had 120miles in winter at 100% and 169 miles in Summer and have achieved on B roads over 180 miles real world. Add the effects of rain and stormy weather on a winter's day and the real-world range is massively different depending on the season. In India, on test-day, they may have had much more favourable temperature conditions for, charging the battery (therefore getting in more energy to the nominal 44.5 kWh battery} and this would again extend the range. Remember that the WLTP range test is at 23C the "average temperature for Europe" which is inappropriate for India!
The terrain makes a big difference to the rating as does the traffic conditions. 70 mph on the motorway has little opportunity for breaking and therefore KERS/Regeneration whereas city driving or country roads both reduces the top speed aerodynamic drag effects and provides plenty of opportunities for KERS to recuperate energy back into the battery.
Could all of these factors add up to the significantly greater reported range without significantly different spec? Yes, I guess they could.
Finally, it's reported the Indian spec has more ground clearance well if it has then maybe the suspension or tyres are different. Tesla quote different ranges for Model S and Model 3 depending on the wheel size because a larger wheel has a lower profile tyre and this reduces the range even though the rolling diameter is the same - why? High profile tyres don't look as cool but on uneven surfaces return more energy to the vehicle motion than European Spec low profile tyre which transfers the up and down motion over bumps into the suspension where it is dissipated ie lost. Could this also be a factor?

I'm sure there is a shed load of guesswork going on in this stream and as has been reiterated 44.5 kWh, is 44.5 kWh, is 44.5 kWh but is that a usable 44.5kWh?
I remember it being said to me in the dealer when I had my test drive that the Actual capacity was more like 46 kWh to 48 kWh and with the buffers at top and bottom the usable 0% to 100% is 44.5 kWh. I know that the 2018 Nissan 40 kWh LEAF has 10 left when the GOM says 0% or "--- miles" so it is logical to assume there is a low SOC buffer on the ZS of 3-4 kWh.
Since the ZS had before the January 2021 BMS Update, no capacity for KERS/Regen for the first 5 to 10 miles it's probable that there was only about 5% of charge headroom above the available range. The changes to the BMS in January seems to have allowed discharge to a lower point before usable 0% and a reduction in the 100% charge battery voltage of around 10 volts to 439 volts increasing the full charge headroom and making KERS/Regen available much sooner and yet by lowering the deepest allowable discharge the rang is the same. It is, therefore, possible that a different BMS reducing the headroom at low SOC and high SOC could increase Available Battery Capacity 10% or more.
A further consideration is ambient temperature. We all know the impact of Winter on reducing the range and on Summer on extending the range. I have had 120miles in winter at 100% and 169 miles in Summer and have achieved on B roads over 180 miles real world. Add the effects of rain and stormy weather on a winter's day and the real-world range is massively different depending on the season. In India, on test-day, they may have had much more favourable temperature conditions for, charging the battery (therefore getting in more energy to the nominal 44.5 kWh battery} and this would again extend the range. Remember that the WLTP range test is at 23C the "average temperature for Europe" which is inappropriate for India!
The terrain makes a big difference to the rating as does the traffic conditions. 70 mph on the motorway has little opportunity for breaking and therefore KERS/Regeneration whereas city driving or country roads both reduces the top speed aerodynamic drag effects and provides plenty of opportunities for KERS to recuperate energy back into the battery.
Could all of these factors add up to the significantly greater reported range without significantly different spec? Yes, I guess they could.
Finally, it's reported the Indian spec has more ground clearance well if it has then maybe the suspension or tyres are different. Tesla quote different ranges for Model S and Model 3 depending on the wheel size because a larger wheel has a lower profile tyre and this reduces the range even though the rolling diameter is the same - why? High profile tyres don't look as cool but on uneven surfaces return more energy to the vehicle motion than European Spec low profile tyre which transfers the up and down motion over bumps into the suspension where it is dissipated ie lost. Could this also be a factor?
Have a look at the threads about the battery capacity and accessing the data via OBD2.
We know what the buffers are pre (455v) and post (450v) BMS update.
The nominal battery capacity is 44.5kWh, we do not have access to this full amount.

has been reiterated 44.5 kWh, is 44.5 kWh, is 44.5 kWh but is that a usable 44.5kWh?
TeslaBjorn on his YT vid noted the usage from his calculations were approx. 42.5kWh

@BarryH All the things you efficiencies you suggest could add some range but it is still a massive jump, and the post above your from @nishadks suggests a slight "real world" improvement based on the Indian conditions. And as he suggests, the claims are most likely marketing spiels.....especially since they didn't quote WLTP testing results. I'm not familiar with the difference between the two testing standards, maybe the ARAI and ICAT are better suited to India, I don't know. But my guess is they are laboratory/theoretical range where as WLTP is closer to what consumers should expect (give/take your local conditions).

Post BMS the peak battery pack voltage reported on the binnacle display on full charge power up is 439V on my car but that is with some load of course for various ECUs but HVAC off.

Worth noting when you watch the Indian video this milage was achieved on the road, not a lab test cycle that was designed for an ICE vehicle, but was a "Hyper-mileage" challenge so would have bee not driven at realistic speeds and without the HVAC powered up etc I would imagine.

I've just plugged my car into the home charger and it reads 92 miles range and 51% which by crude calculation is 180.39 miles range which I would geat current air temperatures today I don't think because I'm not going to drain the swamp to 0%

Post BMS the peak battery pack voltage reported on the binnacle display on full charge power up is 439V on my car but that is with some load of course for various ECUs but HVAC off.

Worth noting when you watch the Indian video this milage was achieved on the road, not a lab test cycle that was designed for an ICE vehicle, but was a "Hyper-mileage" challenge so would have bee not driven at realistic speeds and without the HVAC powered up etc I would imagine.

I've just plugged my car into the home charger and it reads 92 miles range and 51% which by crude calculation is 180.39 miles range which I would geat current air temperatures today I don't think because I'm not going to drain the swamp to 0%
I hope you meant 449 on full charge not 439.

I managed a 4.6m/kWh today on a 18 mile journey, that equates to 195 miles range at 42.5kWh usable battery. 👍

Hi @Tim Green

See @JodyS21 comment below.....It's surely differing testing regime. Maybe heat pump HVAC system? I don't know. I still thought this 2021 indian model was the same as the one we have here in Australia currently. (Still unsure tbh as I still haven't had a definitive answer as yet).

I've taken time to dig a little deeper and downloaded the brochure from the Indian site and finally found the following sub-note relating to the range – *The range figure is based of ICAT certification in test conditions.

ICAT appears to be International Centre of Automotive Technology (ICAT), in India. A simple search doesn't seem to compare the differences between NEDC vs WLTP vs ICAT.

It appears the 263km stated on the Aussie website is WLTP which was nice to know they were marketing based on real world conditions rather than optimal conditions to bump the theoretical range of the car

From Aussie website - *The MG ZS EV has a range of 263 km on the WLTP Combined cycle from a single charge and a range of 372 km on the City Driving Cycle from a single charge.

So unsure how these testing specs compare – though a 156km difference is quite a jump.
Don't think it matters what system you are using if they sell a car even in India consumers will look to have fairly close to the stated range, and im assuming the had the old MG zs ev before

Topped 5.1 miles today on route to the city...traffic was slow, but moving so constantly on and off accelerator so KER’s was very active...👍
Yeah - I have done about four 100 mile trips over the last few weeks, a mixture of dual carriageways and normal "A" roads, bit of town work as well.
Hitting around the 4.5 mark, happy with that.

So I have a new MG ZS EV (71 Plate) I am collecting on Saturday, will this have the increased ground clearance and HT Battery he speaks of? or will that be on the new Facelift model yet to be released in UK?

So I have a new MG ZS EV (71 Plate) I am collecting on Saturday, will this have the increased ground clearance and HT Battery he speaks of? or will that be on the new Facelift model yet to be released in UK?
The bigger battery will only come in the new facelift model due out in next few weeks.

The bigger battery will only come in the new facelift model due out in next few weeks.
I'm lead to believe it will also come with a bigger list price to match, unfortunately. Although dealers will have examples shortly I have heard deliveries won't start until January 2022. There will be two battery sizes and given the uplift in spec, features and Fit 'n' Finish I for one am not expecting it to be pitched as a budget EV

I think unless the new ZS is radically different from the outgoing model - I believe that it will be based on the facelifted ICE model, that it will remain a ‘budget EV’. There is nothing to lift it to the next level unless it has major changes. In fact for now I think MG will remain a budget brand altogether in the UK anyway. It takes a radical model to lift it from this bracket - which may be in the pipeline but not in the UK yet.
Of course the new model will cost more, but not to the point where customers can buy similarly priced competitors models, or at the moment MG will lose customers. Discounting will still be prevalent - although supply shortages will affect this more than brand identity. MG need more market share and a high-end model to lift prices more.

I think unless the new ZS is radically different from the outgoing model - I believe that it will be based on the facelifted ICE model, that it will remain a ‘budget EV’. There is nothing to lift it to the next level unless it has major changes. In fact for now I think MG will remain a budget brand altogether in the UK anyway. It takes a radical model to lift it from this bracket - which may be in the pipeline but not in the UK yet.
Of course the new model will cost more, but not to the point where customers can buy similarly priced competitors models, or at the moment MG will lose customers. Discounting will still be prevalent - although supply shortages will affect this more than brand identity. MG need more market share and a high-end model to lift prices more.
I'm really interested to see what it will be like, but having spoken to one dealer recently who had previously told me a few months ago that it would be based on the facelifted ICE car as you said, he told me that 1, I would be very impressed by the features and level of trim and 2, I should expect it to be (ie cost) a lot more.
Bear in mind also that there will be a new entry-level MG EV added to the range for 2022 plus MG will be opening a central London Show room next to or on the same site as Mercedes with a view to positioning the brand more premium. But we will all know for sure very soon.

I’d love to see the brand move forward. The biggest issue for me is the customer service and in particular the franchise dealership standards, which are generally very low.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom