MG ZS EV Battery charging and balancing

EVNewbie1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi
I've just discovered this forum and I'm looking forward to learning more about my car.
I picked up a 2020 MG ZS EV Exclusiv last week. It's my first EV. We've had a few teething problems trying to get it charged but I think we're getting there now.
But after looking through some previous threads I'm still confused about a couple of things -
  • with the 2020 ZS should I be aiming to charge the battery to 80% or 100%?
  • and what does balancing the battery mean, should I be doing it and if so, how?
Looking forward to your replies!

Hi and welcome, depending on you milage charge to 80% if charging daily and monthly do a battery balance which means let it charge to 100% and the charge power will drop to 300w and the BMS does the rest. It could take a few hours and can only be done on an AC type EVSE charge point.
DC CCS rapid chargers will take 30-40 minutes but don't go to 100% on these.
Check with your dealer that the car has had all the updates done.

If your usage case permits, I would suggest charging to a SOC of 80%.
However, the ZS EV Gen1 has no means of setting an accurate SOC level of 80% so this can be a bit of a challenge.
Are you using the supplied Granny unit to charge your car, or do you have a wall box installed??.
Some smart wall box chargers can help in this regard, but a bit of man maths is still required to hit the required target.
Balance charging only commences when the car has hit 100% SOC.
It should be left plugged in at this point and the balance cycle will then start.
When it is complete, the car will automatically shut down either the wall box or Granny unit.

Just a point of clarification about balance charging. Balance charging only occurs when the normal AC charge (ie on Granny Charger or Type 2 charging from either a home wall charger or public charging post) and cannot be done after reaching 100% on a public DC Rapid Charger. The reason is that a balance charge is a slow low power charge and is delivered over a completely different set of wiring connecting each cell in the battery pack to the Battery Management System (otherwise known as the BMS). One of the functions of the BMS is to look at the charge of each Cell in the Battery Pack and finetune the charge on each cell so that the pack as a whole performs optimally. This fine-tuning may take as little as 20 minutes but if there have been a lot of charge/discharge cycles whether as overnight AC charges or Rapid DC chargers since the last Balance charge, then the individual cell voltages will be more varied from one to another. This is because when normally charged or driven the batteries are connected in series that is one after the other with the positive of one to the negative of its neighbour, like batteries in a flashlight. This way the individual 4 or so volts get added together to form the EV's 400-450 volt High Voltage Traction Battery. In an ideal world, every battery cell would be identical and when charged with a High Voltage they would all charge up equally. In the real world every cell is unique and when charged some will charge a little better and others a little less well but by only tiny fractions of a volt. But as the EV is driven and is discharged and then charged these minute differences accumulate. So next time the battery is fully charged to the set 100% the BMS stops the high voltage charging of the pack end to end and using the thin wires connected between each cell the BMS first senses the voltages of each cell and then using the preprogrammed algorithm delivers small adjustments of charge at low voltage. This is why after a 7 kW AC charge over several hours the charge will drop from 7,000 watts to only 200-300 watts during the balance charge. This Balance or Equalisation Charge will trickle charge normally for 20 to 30 minutes if done once every week or so but if the cells are way out of balance it will go on either until all the cells are within limits or 3 to 6 hours before time out (depending on the BMS and pack size).

One final point on charging. There are broadly two main types of Lithium Ion battery cells being used in EVs today and MG is using both types namely the Lithium Nickle Manganese Cobolt known as "Li-Ion" or "Li-NMC" and the "Lithium-Iron-Phosphate" cell chemistry also called "Li-FePO4" or "LFP" for short. There are many reasons why one battery chemistry should be chosen over another but suffice to say that in a given volume you get a greater Electrical Energy Capacity ie kWH with Li-Ion but LFP is less expensive, more stable (doesn't catch fire) and doesn't use controversial Cobolt.

51 kWh MG4 Standard Range and MG ZS Facelift Standard for example have LFP and their Long Range brothers and sisters have Li-Ion. You'd notice the practical difference on the CHarging Screen of the Infotainment system. The Li-Ion cars have the ability to set an 80% charge limit for daily use and a 100% charge limit for the full range if you have a longer trip or you want to do a balance charge. This is because Li-Ion degrades more quickly if charged to 100% and kept at a high state of charge. With LFP EVs, you cannot set 80% limit because LFP chemistry is stable at 100% state of charge (SOC), and doing so is beneficial to the long-term cell health.

Slight thread hijack but on a similar vein - is it possible to see what charging rate you are achieving anywhere on the vehicle (at any given point whilst charging?) I couldn't see it anywhere earlier when I looked...

Slight thread hijack but on a similar vein - is it possible to see what charging rate you are achieving anywhere on the vehicle (at any given point whilst charging?) I couldn't see it anywhere earlier when I looked...
Car will show amps in and voltage the app will show kw

yes but only with a calculator in hand unless you're a Rapid

Just a point of clarification about balance charging. Balance charging only occurs when the normal AC charge (ie on Granny Charger or Type 2 charging from either a home wall charger or public charging post) and cannot be done after reaching 100% on a public DC Rapid Charger. The reason is that a balance charge is a slow low power charge and is delivered over a completely different set of wiring connecting each cell in the battery pack to the Battery Management System (otherwise known as the BMS). One of the functions of the BMS is to look at the charge of each Cell in the Battery Pack and finetune the charge on each cell so that the pack as a whole performs optimally. This fine-tuning may take as little as 20 minutes but if there have been a lot of charge/discharge cycles whether as overnight AC charges or Rapid DC chargers since the last Balance charge, then the individual cell voltages will be more varied from one to another. This is because when normally charged or driven the batteries are connected in series that is one after the other with the positive of one to the negative of its neighbour, like batteries in a flashlight. This way the individual 4 or so volts get added together to form the EV's 400-450 volt High Voltage Traction Battery. In an ideal world, every battery cell would be identical and when charged with a High Voltage they would all charge up equally. In the real world every cell is unique and when charged some will charge a little better and others a little less well but by only tiny fractions of a volt. But as the EV is driven and is discharged and then charged these minute differences accumulate. So next time the battery is fully charged to the set 100% the BMS stops the high voltage charging of the pack end to end and using the thin wires connected between each cell the BMS first senses the voltages of each cell and then using the preprogrammed algorithm delivers small adjustments of charge at low voltage. This is why after a 7 kW AC charge over several hours the charge will drop from 7,000 watts to only 200-300 watts during the balance charge. This Balance or Equalisation Charge will trickle charge normally for 20 to 30 minutes if done once every week or so but if the cells are way out of balance it will go on either until all the cells are within limits or 3 to 6 hours before time out (depending on the BMS and pack size).

One final point on charging. There are broadly two main types of Lithium Ion battery cells being used in EVs today and MG is using both types namely the Lithium Nickle Manganese Cobolt known as "Li-Ion" or "Li-NMC" and the "Lithium-Iron-Phosphate" cell chemistry also called "Li-FePO4" or "LFP" for short. There are many reasons why one battery chemistry should be chosen over another but suffice to say that in a given volume you get a greater Electrical Energy Capacity ie kWH with Li-Ion but LFP is less expensive, more stable (doesn't catch fire) and doesn't use controversial Cobolt.

51 kWh MG4 Standard Range and MG ZS Facelift Standard for example have LFP and their Long Range brothers and sisters have Li-Ion. You'd notice the practical difference on the CHarging Screen of the Infotainment system. The Li-Ion cars have the ability to set an 80% charge limit for daily use and a 100% charge limit for the full range if you have a longer trip or you want to do a balance charge. This is because Li-Ion degrades more quickly if charged to 100% and kept at a high state of charge. With LFP EVs, you cannot set 80% limit because LFP chemistry is stable at 100% state of charge (SOC), and doing so is beneficial to the long-term cell health.
Splendid explanation about chemistry. Just a question then. How do I determine which chemistry has been used for the original SR MG5, 51kwh battery?

Not quite right. The thin wires to each series connected set of cells are there so that the BMS can detect the voltage of each series connected cell pack. If one of these cell packs voltage is higher than the rest by a pre determined amount then that individual cell pack is drained slightly through the thinner wire via a power resistor to bring the voltage down ever so slightly. Then the whole pack is topped up momentarily again just like normal and the process starts again, slightly discharging the next highest cell pack. This cycle continues until all cell packs are within tolerance or the procedure times out (hours).

Not quite right. The thin wires to each series connected set of cells are there so that the BMS can detect the voltage of each series connected cell pack. If one of these cell packs voltage is higher than the rest by a pre determined amount then that individual cell pack is drained slightly through the thinner wire via a power resistor to bring the voltage down ever so slightly. Then the whole pack is topped up momentarily again just like normal and the process starts again, slightly discharging the next highest cell pack. This cycle continues until all cell packs are within tolerance or the procedure times out (hours).
Okay but different BMS in various applications adopt different methodologies. Some for instance monitor at the cell level and manage at the cell level while others BMS manage clusters or blocks of individual cells. MG use battery pouches so for example I have a Gen 1 ZS 44.5 kWh pack with 108 cells connected in series. Whereas a Tesla model S Plaid has 5 models or cell bricks. Each module has 22 rows (series) of cells and each row has 72 cells in parallel. So the total number of cells in each module is 1,584 (22 x 72). Telsa will approach the BMS strategy differently however, the principle is the same, that, Balancing does happen at the time of a Rapid DC Charge but only at the conclusion of AC session and at a significantly slower charge rate and lower power than the regular charge.

Splendid explanation about chemistry. Just a question then. How do I determine which chemistry has been used for the original SR MG5, 51kwh battery?
The 51 kWh packs are LFP

Have a look at the battery label
IMG_20230210_083236.jpg

I got my mk2 3 days ago and I had no idea of the balancing. So if I understood this right: Once a month I should charge the battery to 100%.

But how does the balancing happens? Is there a message that comes up? Do I just leave the char plugged for extra time after it hit 100%

Also … how does one tell the car to charge to exactly 80%? Is that through the app?

Thanks I’ve been learning a lot reading the forums.

Is that the same as Ternary Lithium Ion (as it says in the manual) ?
Yes
ternary lithium batteries are mainly NCM batteries, rather than the NCA ternary lithium batteries used in Tesla
Edit I think ternary is used as 3 components are used in the chemistry of the battery so LFP is also classed as a ternary battery?

Last edited:
Don't think this is right as @Bazarooni is asking about the original MG5
Originally MG5 has NCM battery
Sorry I was thinking ZS and MG4 which are LFP. The clue is if you can actually set an 80% "Daily" charge limit or not. If you have that option and can set it (I know the LFP ZS you saw it on the Battery screen but there was no enable limiter in the software) then you've not got LFP 51 kWh pack.

Is that the same as Ternary Lithium Ion (as it says in the manual) ?
Ternary Lithium means that the Anode comprises 3 active metals Nickle, Manganese and Cobolt which you also see listed either as Lithium-NMC or even Lithium-NCM chemistry.

Yes
ternary lithium batteries are mainly NCM batteries, rather than the NCA ternary lithium batteries used in Tesla
Edit I think ternary is used as 3 components are used in the chemistry of the battery so LFP is also classed as a ternary battery?
LFP isn't referred to as Ternary chemistry as the Ternary refers to the make-up of the Anode whereas an LFP is a Lithium (Li) cell with an Iron (Fe) and Phosphorus (PO) Anode also described chemically as LiFePO4

Have a look at the battery labelView attachment 15510
If you don't want to crawl under your car and have an OBDII Dongle you should be able to see the individual cell voltages in your battery pack. LFP and LiNCM have different nominal voltages. LFP are nominally lower voltage than LiNCM and there is less difference in cell voltage between a fully charged and discharged cell which makes the estimated State of Charge (SOC) and hence Range more difficult to estimate with LFP than a LiNCM-equipped EV, particularly in cold weather. The industry standard for the "nominal voltage" of an LFP cell is 3.2V. For NMC cells, it is 3.60V or 3.70V, depending on the cell manufacturer.

The clue is if you can actually set an 80% "Daily" charge limit or not. If you have that option and can set it (I know the LFP ZS you saw it on the Battery screen but there was no enable limiter in the software) then you've not got LFP 51 kWh pack.
This only works on next gen cars as original MG5 & ZS do not have a 80% set limit

This only works on next gen cars as original MG5 & ZS do not have a 80% set limit
Correct the Gen 1 (as I have) doesn't have an 80% limit sadly nor a charge timer so I just do the quick mental arithmetic of how many miles I need to add to get to roughly 805 then set the timer on my app for the Home charger allowing 1 hour of charge for every 25 miles I want to add overnight. In practice, I plug in when I have 50 to 60 miles range when I arrive home and have a default of 3 hours charge time. But the Friday night charge timer is set at 6 hours 9the first 4 are on Octopus Go and the last two hours at the standard rate. Following my charger when I need to routine means that at least once a month I'll be charging on Friday night which will ensure I get a full charge at the 7kW rate during my 4 hours of Octopus Go rate and at the end of the full charge the Ballance charge will begin at 200-300 watts and usually will not use more than about 45 minutes to an hour outside my Go Tariff period.

Surely balancing is not required for the short range MG ZS EV facelift, being LFP chemistry & should be able to be charged to 100% on a regular basis (as per, eg, BYD & Tesla short range).

Surely balancing is not required for the short range MG ZS EV facelift, being LFP chemistry & should be able to be charged to 100% on a regular basis (as per, eg, BYD & Tesla short range).
It will still balance at the end of charge it's just quicker as it's done at the end of every charge

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom