• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Buyers Remorse kicking in

Sadly not very helpful!
I don't know whether the PHEV has the same interface but I don't have an Infotainment manual embedded in the car. Just one for the car and one for the Navigation.
Yes I know Infotainment is all encompassing word, but navigation doesn't cover the radio!
As you say the radio is supposed to follow a particular station i.e. BBC Radio 2 but mine doesn't! A short way up the A34 is disappeared. I didn't go pressing any buttons to find out if I could restore it as my son and I were talking. To be honest we weren't interested in the radio, and it was only when we returned down that same road that it surprised us by bursting into life having been silent for the 500 miles to and from North Wales!
Yes I am a PHEV according to your user manual there is a stored user Manuel and from experience with my PHEV you have to spend time look for things just tr to help like the radio had to switch on the SF ( station follow ) dealer are useless and take you car in for a week and may not find problem.

ps do not have a ZS to play with to help more.

Yes I am a PHEV driver but I down load your car manual and found that your car stores a user manual for you car for the entertainment system.

this below is from your user manual after that your on you own

User Manual
In the settings interface, touch [User Manual] to enter the user manual interface. You can view the user manual and entertainment manual.
Umm have you actually looked at that manual?
I have just downloaded the manual for the NEW MG ZS EV from the MG web site (There is the option of User Manual and Quick Start Guide but no Infotainment guide) and I have to say there is no reference to the greeting message and how to turn it off!
If you can point me to the particular page I'd be very grateful.

I have just downloaded the manual for the NEW MG ZS EV from the MG web site (There is the option of User Manual and Quick Start Guide but no Infotainment guide) and I have to say there is no reference to the greeting message and how to turn it off!
This thread should be a sticky if you want the navigation/infotainment manual.

Last edited:
Yes the respondent has a MG HS PHEV according to Driving info in the side panel
i just looked at the manual some thing to try after read it have you stored BBC2 into stored stations if you not try this. As you dive around the country the dab is just like FM it need to retune to a new frequency and doing the station store this may work when your are away from home And follow the staiton out side your home area.

see N2STY post and down load the manual at the bottom of post.

Last edited:
You can get rid of the “immature” sounds by getting another car, you have suggested a few.

I can’t understand people that buy a car and do nothing but moan about it. If you don’t test drive it properly and understand it why buy it then moan?
I said immature software not sounds!

If you are driving along and suddenly your sat nav disappears I don't think you would be quite so dismissive of the problem!
The infotainment screen goes black?
Having the radio volume going up and down when releasing the throttle and pressing the brake? I think you might have a few choice words to say!
Apple CarPlay that sometimes starts other times doesn't.

Did you test drive yours for over a week and drive 800 miles all over the country?
So yes I am going to gripe as I believe my money should buy better than this!
The VW ID3 is smaller and the Kia E-Nero pricier for a similar spec.

The basic car is excellent, well made and put together. It is let down by poor software, and software can be easily rewritten to be, at the very least, usable and reliable!

I am so glad that yours is absolutely perfect because it gives me hope that my car can be as perfect as yours so obviously is.

You can get rid of the “immature” sounds by getting another car, you have suggested a few.

I can’t understand people that buy a car and do nothing but moan about it. If you don’t test drive it properly and understand it why buy it then moan?
People are very quickly to take the car back to dealership instead of walk through the it. I thing I might write a job proposal to MG and send it,

People are very quickly to take the car back to dealership instead of walk through the it. I thing I might write a job proposal to MG and send it,
I have now read all the available manuals and still I can't find where to turn that Greeting announcement off!
A search in pdf doesn't find anything either!
So if you could point me to the correct page of the relevant manual or copy and paste the exact instructions on this site i'd be very grateful.

Yes I am a PHEV according to your user manual there is a stored user Manuel and from experience with my PHEV you have to spend time look for things just tr to help like the radio had to switch on the SF ( station follow ) dealer are useless and take you car in for a week and may not find problem.

ps do not have a ZS to play with to help more.
User Manuel ? :giggle:

que GIF

I said immature software not sounds!

If you are driving along and suddenly your sat nav disappears I don't think you would be quite so dismissive of the problem!
The infotainment screen goes black?
Having the radio volume going up and down when releasing the throttle and pressing the brake? I think you might have a few choice words to say!
Apple CarPlay that sometimes starts other times doesn't.

Did you test drive yours for over a week and drive 800 miles all over the country?
So yes I am going to gripe as I believe my money should buy better than this!
The VW ID3 is smaller and the Kia E-Nero pricier for a similar spec.

The basic car is excellent, well made and put together. It is let down by poor software, and software can be easily rewritten to be, at the very least, usable and reliable!

I am so glad that yours is absolutely perfect because it gives me hope that my car can be as perfect as yours so obviously is.

Replace “sounds” with “software” in my post - doesn’t change the context.

The “issues” with the software I was fully aware of before purchasing the car. I had the car on loan for 3 days from the dealer for a comprehensive evaluation and was satisfied that there was nothing preventing me from purchasing the car.

I tested every aspect of the car. As I was going to be buying a £35k car that was going to be my main mode of transport for at least 5 years, it had to be right for me and for my wife. I also tested the LR MG5 as well for the same 3 day period. The more advanced tech on the MG ZS EV, with its higher driving position, won it for me.

If you tested for a week and drove over 800 miles and then state your money “should buy better than this”, then why did you buy it ?

Last edited:
Because the sentence refers to "idiosyncratic behaviours" which are, in this context, being playfully suggested to belong either to the car or the forum contributor.
With that I entirely agree!!
Bradford and Bognor can co-habit without rancour!

I have now read all the available manuals and still I can't find where to turn that Greeting announcement off!
A search in pdf doesn't find anything either!
So if you could point me to the correct page of the relevant manual or copy and paste the exact instructions on this site i'd be very grateful.
That may be so thing you can do do.

Replace “sounds” with “software” in my post - doesn’t change the context.

The “issues” with the software I was fully aware of before purchasing the car. I had the car on loan for 3 days from the dealer for a comprehensive evaluation and was satisfied that there was nothing preventing me from purchasing the car.

I tested every aspect of the car. As I was going to be buying a £35k car that was going to be my main mode of transport for at least 5 years, it had to be right for me and for my wife. I also tested the LR MG5 as well for the same 3 day period. The more advanced tech on the MG ZS EV, with its higher driving position, won it for me.

If your money “should buy better than this”, then why did you buy it ?
'Replace “sounds” with “software” in my post - doesn’t change the context.'
Well yes it does as the software relates to both the radio 'sounds' and Sat Nav!

When I test drove the 2020 ZS EV, I was more than impressed with the car. I had a Jaguar I-Pace an infinitely more expensive car but felt that the ride and handling of the MG was well up to par. In some ways the panel fit was better than the Jag!
Obviously the Jag will win on the quality of the interior, as it should for a £70K car!
But for a £22K car it was brilliant.
Roll onto late 2021 and the 'facelift' ZS EV and the introduction of the LR model, and I couldn't wait for a test drive to become available.
The necessity for the I-Pace had gone and the MG ZS EV LR was the car that ticked most, if not all, my boxes.

A test drive confirmed this and as an 'experienced' EV owner I knew what I could expect on range etc.

I was assured that the software in the test car was 'pre-production' and would improve when launched.

The I-Pace was always having updates over the air and the improvements were well worth having.

This, I believe, should be the case with any new EV these days, MG shouldn't be an exception.
But it should start from a baseline of reliable functionality not something that crashes or totally fails to work!
Tesla had issues with the 'black screen' and very quickly remedied the problem.

As I found out with the I-Pace, you have a manufacturer who makes excellent cars and has done for many years, but whose software writing abilities are a little weak, if I can put it like that.
Tesla on the other hand is brilliant at the tech but lacking in the car manufacturing
aspect. They are improving, the cars made in China are infinitely better than those coming from the USA, Berlin should be even better.
With SAIC, who are an enormous car manufacturer, they manufacture VW cars for instance, I would expect better than this. Clunky but works or techy that crashes, and SAIC would appear to be falling into the second category sadly.
The responsiveness of the infotainment screen is far better than the Mk1, so why let themselves down by having a sat nav that isn't fit for purpose or at so it seems after a DC charge?

Maybe there is a variation of chips that they have got hold of that just quite up to spec.? Which would explain why some Trophy Connects are OK and others not!
In a way I am hoping that it is the software as this can be corrected easily.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
You did say it was possible to switch off the Greeting Message, so can you please tell me how?
Now we have the user manual I can not see away to turn it off, but there could be a sub setting which not in the book.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom