MG ZS EV Charging Timer Problem

Jeff Chen

Novice Member
Reaction score
Had a Charging problem with my ZS EV the other day. Plugged it in at home, it made all the right noises, the MG badge was "breathing". Thought it was charging as normal, but came back after a couple of hours and though the indicator on the dash said 'Charging' - the battery capacity had not increased. Only thing that I noticed was that the Time to Charge indicator was blank. Has anyone had this problem? Any idea on how to fix it?

Had a Charging problem with my ZS EV the other day. Plugged it in at home, it made all the right noises, the MG badge was "breathing". Thought it was charging as normal, but came back after a couple of hours and though the indicator on the dash said 'Charging' - the battery capacity had not increased. Only thing that I noticed was that the Time to Charge indicator was blank. Has anyone had this problem? Any idea on how to fix it?
Is the problem only an issue at your home address ?.
Are you able to pull a charge elsewhere ?.

Have had this happen both a home with the Granny Charger and also at two separate charge points. Even swopped Granny Chargers with a mate who also has a ZS EV. Still not charging.

This is what the display looks like

Attachments

• IMG-20210112-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20210112-WA0006.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 172
Will it charge on a rapid, do you have one close by ?.
I believe the charge from a rapid uses a different path and sends charge directly to the HV pack and not via the 7.0 kw onboard charger in the car.
Just another thing to rule in or out !.

That is what the display does usually, but for a handful of seconds after its plugged in and until it's figured out how long it'll take to charge (based on the power being supplied).

So, that would suggest that it knows it is connected but it can't figure out the amount of amps it's being given?
Very weird.

Think a visit to your dealer is required.

I guess you could try the hard reboot option - 10mm spanner on the 12v battery terminal - that seems to sort out some issues....
(I've still forgotten to put a spare 10mm spanner in my car!)

(I've still forgotten to put a spare 10mm spanner in my car!)
Do it now @JodyS21 while it is fresh in your mind !.
You just know if you put it there, you are never likely to need it of course !.🤣
But if you do, it could save a long wait for a recovery truck.
I have put one in a small resealable plastic bag and taped it to the front of the battery case.

Thanks for the suggestions.
1. No rapid chargers within range but think this might be a good option to verify if the issue is with the onboard charger. Might have to consider a tow truck.
2. Have tried the 12V disconnect to reset the system. No luck. Result is the same. Wonder if there is another reset or return to default method?
3. Does not seem to matter if the doors are open or locked.
Appreciate the feedback. Will leave it in the hands of the dealer.

Thanks for the suggestions.
1. No rapid chargers within range but think this might be a good option to verify if the issue is with the onboard charger. Might have to consider a tow truck.
2. Have tried the 12V disconnect to reset the system. No luck. Result is the same. Wonder if there is another reset or return to default method?
3. Does not seem to matter if the doors are open or locked.
Appreciate the feedback. Will leave it in the hands of the dealer.
We have had EVs for over 9 years one of the strange things we found was the need to lock the car before charging. Then you can check the charger to see if it's taking power. Our home charger shows green when it's taking power.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom