MG ZS EV Door handles locks faulty or is there a knack?

Has anyone managed to lubricate the handles on their own?
I don't think this problem has anything to do with lubrication which is more for outside handles sticking described in this thread. The outside handles work fine on mine it's the inside ones that don't, apart from the drivers one. Might have to buy a chauffeur's hat.

I don't think this problem has anything to do with lubrication which is more for outside handles sticking described in this thread. The outside handles work fine on mine it's the inside ones that don't, apart from the drivers one. Might have to buy a chauffeur's hat.
I suspect the grease remedy suggested to myself and Alfie has come from the same dealer in York - he was quite adamant that the example they fixed (internal operation of the handle) was resolved with the addition of some grease, and that it wasn’t any kind of electronics fault. I’m hoping it really is that simple, but I’ll update once they’ve had a look at it. The more I hear that other people are experiencing the same issue with the same door, the more I’m thinking it’s a batch of faulty mechanisms though, but we’ll see. I certainly won’t be squirting any WD40 around, as I’d rather know what the root cause is.

Just been out in the cold and had a play. I think how it works is that if the doors are locked then the double pull method is what is needed. Last night dropping off a teenage son I did suggest the double pull and saw him doing it multiple times at double click speed. This morning tried it at a more sedate pace and the first pull does the unlock and the second opens. Once the car is unlocked then one pull seems to be all that is needed to open the doors. Will keep playing and have to drop teenage son somewhere this morning so see how that goes. Hope this helps someone.

[Edit} Never that simple is it? Didn't work again and the only way to open the doors was from outside. Have tried auto-lock on and off and both times the doors haven't opened. So does seem intermittent but has to be "something"?

Last edited:
I suspect the grease remedy suggested to myself and Alfie has come from the same dealer in York - he was quite adamant that the example they fixed (internal operation of the handle) was resolved with the addition of some grease, and that it wasn’t any kind of electronics fault. I’m hoping it really is that simple, but I’ll update once they’ve had a look at it. The more I hear that other people are experiencing the same issue with the same door, the more I’m thinking it’s a batch of faulty mechanisms though, but we’ll see. I certainly won’t be squirting any WD40 around, as I’d rather know what the root cause is.
Yes, York dealer. A slight hope yesterday when 2 doors finally opened from inside after several lock/unlock attempts but today we’re back to all passenger doors refusing to budge. Doesn’t look like a grease issue to me.

Yes, York dealer. A slight hope yesterday when 2 doors finally opened from inside after several lock/unlock attempts but today we’re back to all passenger doors refusing to budge. Doesn’t look like a grease issue to me.
take that straight back to the dealer as that is a huge safety issue if you are unable to vacate the vehicle in an emergency... very dangerous indeed and I would not be comfortable carrying passengers in the back until that had been resolved.

Last night dropping off a teenage son I did suggest the double pull and saw him doing it multiple times at double click speed. This morning tried it at a more sedate pace and the first pull does the unlock and the second opens. Once the car is unlocked then one pull seems to be all that is needed to open the doors. Will keep playing and have to drop teenage son somewhere this morning so see how that goes. Hope this helps someone.
My brother collected his long awaited Trophy 🏆 LR last week.
His passengers door will not open from the inside.
It has been back to the dealer and the diag computer has picked up a fault in the drivers door strangely enough ?.
The dealer has raised a ticket with MG Tech and they have suggested that there is a faulty sensor in the passengers door.
The part has been ordered and the car is booked in, for it to be replaced next Friday.
We have the same model and I checked how my locking system works for him.
When the car is auto locked and we arrive home, if my wife wants to leave the car first, then if I unlock the car from the drivers side button in the door, it will only take one pull on the internal handle on the passengers side.
Or if I don’t unlock the car manually, then my wife can leave the car by pulling the internal handle once, then once again and it will allow her to leave.
If I shut down the car, before she touches the internal handle, then this unlocks all of the doors or course.
So, double pumping of the passengers internal handle should allow the front passenger to leave first, when he car is fully booted.

all my doors are heading that way, handles sticking open, one door failing to open unless persistently try untill it does, then spray with oil and ok for a few goes

My brother collected his long awaited Trophy 🏆 LR last week.
His passengers door will not open from the inside.
It has been back to the dealer and the diag computer has picked up a fault in the drivers door strangely enough ?.
The dealer has raised a ticket with MG Tech and they have suggested that there is a faulty sensor in the passengers door.
The part has been ordered and the car is booked in, for it to be replaced next Friday.
We have the same model and I checked how my locking system works for him.
When the car is auto locked and we arrive home, if my wife wants to leave the car first, then if I unlock the car from the drivers side button in the door, it will only take one pull on the internal handle on the passengers side.
Or if I don’t unlock the car manually, then my wife can leave the car by pulling the internal handle once, then once again and it will allow her to leave.
If I shut down the car, before she touches the internal handle, then this unlocks all of the doors or course.
So, double pumping of the passengers internal handle should allow the front passenger to leave first, when he car is fully booted.
Will be off to dealers next week, could be 3 doors at fault!

Update from the dealership…

Apparently there is a faulty batch of door latches, so it’s going to need a new one. The issue relates to the deadlocking mechanism (hence why the internal handle won’t operate). They’ve applied a temporary fix in the software to prevent the issue occurring in the meantime (which from a safety perspective is essential in my opinion - inability to egress from the car in an emergency isn’t a situation I want my passengers to find themselves in), although it clearly has vehicle security implications - lesser of two evils I guess.

My brothers two weeks old Trophy LR is back at the dealers today, this is the third time in two weeks.
It turns out that the part that was ordered is not a sensor, but a new latch for the passengers front door.
They did order something, but it was the incorrect part they are now saying, but the catch ( locking mechanism ) is currently on “Back Order” from the factory in China !.
My bother has very firmly told them that he views this problem as a major safety risk for any passenger in his car and wants it resolving urgently !.
This is bottom a defect that has just manifested itself, it was like this on collection day and sale person witnessed it himself.
He questioned why the fault had not been picked up at both the factory and by the dealer at the time of the PDI ?.
He has been promised that it WILL be fixed today, let’s see !.
He has the feeling that intend to use a catch from another car because if the back log on parts.

I can confirm I got the same explanation yesterday. The front passenger deadlock mechanism has now been temporarily disabled pending a new latch (on back order). I've not had time or inclination to recheck the rear doors yet. Would be interested to know if and when any members of this group can confirm that the 'new latch' resolves the issue, given that the back order may take some time.

I can confirm I got the same explanation yesterday. The front passenger deadlock mechanism has now been temporarily disabled pending a new latch (on back order). I've not had time or inclination to recheck the rear doors yet. Would be interested to know if and when any members of this group can confirm that the 'new latch' resolves the issue, given that the back order may take some time.
Just received a message to say my brothers non opening faulty door catch, has now been fixed !.
They have replaced the whole lock / catch assembly.
I will include a picture of the part number.
This is for the N/S/F ( passengers ) door.

2AB2A352-1525-4BF2-85B4-4806C82A0B67.jpeg

Mine has now gone back and I have an MG5 to play with, unfortunately not the facelift version, but hope they get to the bottom of it and get it fixed.

Same here, got an MG5 LR while the ZS is being repaired. Pretty decent car if you like that sort of thing, but way too long to park easily round here…

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom